Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18932 times)

Re: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'm speechless.  The guy was drafted in the first round and three years later couldn't even garner a future second round pick in a trade.  He has the opposite of potential.  The only way this makes sense is if he has a dossier of photos of Austin Ainge at an Eyes Wide Shut style party.

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm speechless.  The guy was drafted in the first round and three years later couldn't even garner a future second round pick in a trade.  He has the opposite of potential.  The only way this makes sense is if he has a dossier of photos of Austin Ainge at an Eyes Wide Shut style party.

... or there's no reason to trade for him when you can just pick him up?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
As far as that Ainge quote, he is right as far as pro ball for sure.  There is no sugar coating it for these guys, they are professionals and they should hear the truth.   When you get to a new level, it's a new game.  No room for guys talking about highschool in college and no room for guys talking about college in the pros.

Young said this was even better than him for draft day too because he had to earn it as a pro.

I think this was the right move and I was encouraged to see Young shoot well in some real games and putting forth good effort on defense.  He was also able to score off the dribble.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Mark Murphy reports: Ainge told James Young, "This is probably the first time you've earned something in your life."

https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/790610700838309888\

I hope in context that didn't come across as brutal as it sounds here, because OUCH.

James young replies back with

You really don't understand how this whole GM, player thing works do you?

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Why is everyone assuming that Ainge couldn't get a 2nd round pick for Young? Maybe teams were willing to offer a 2nd for Young as opposed to Hunter, hence Ainge decided to keep the former as he still has some kind of value.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
james young has youth,burned up red claws,has that stroke and has the frame-rj was my favorite till he couldn't hit his threes and he didn't come back bigger
in hindsight rj could pass and had range -tough luck that green came available cheap with history

I just broke down the New York game… Really excruciating watching James Young get repeatedly impaled on screens. But it looks like his new dribble drive/floater can be a reliable tool. That makes him a lot more valuable than just a guy with three point range.

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the Ainge quote is being taken out of context. James is tall, athletic, can shoot very well and it has probably been a cakewalk to this point in his life in regards to basketball. Ainge saying that he had to earn this [for the first time in his life] can be seen as a compliment...like, when his career was finally on the line, he came through with sheer effort and determination when he never had to before.

As for the decision, I understand it, but am certainly not confident in James Young's future with the Cs (we'll find out more next Monday). We have a number of solid players on the team already, I guess they are just hoping one of Young or Mickey pans out.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Good choice. Young is a younger, more versatile player who may have more upside, if he can either gain some confidence or work harder. Not sure which of those is his problem. Hunter seems limited as a player, and shooting the 3 from the hip needs more space and is a negative in the NBA with all those wingspans and tight Ds.

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One could interpret Ainge's words as making it clear to Young that if he doesn't keep working hard, he's at risk of being cut mid-season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I admit I was wrong saying RJ had the 15th roster spot.

That being said, let's go back to this thread in ten years and see who was really right or wrong.

RJ Hunter blew it. He did have one great preseason game, but he didn't seem to carry it over into the next one. There's also no excuse for his lame shooting. That ultimately did him in.

I think of the two, RJ is the one with the only true chance of having an NBA career.

Both will probably never make it. This was a Celtics Tradition decision. Young has been with the team longer. That's why he won.

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I think the Ainge quote is being taken out of context. James is tall, athletic, can shoot very well and it has probably been a cakewalk to this point in his life in regards to basketball. Ainge saying that he had to earn this [for the first time in his life] can be seen as a compliment...like, when his career was finally on the line, he came through with sheer effort and determination when he never had to before.

Yes, I think that that's the reasonable interpretation.

This pre-season showed ample evidence of him having put in the work. The dribble drives with a very pretty - and pretty accurate - floater are the most tangible evidence.

And then there's the team defense... Got a ways to go there...

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I'm not buying the damage control on the quote. Ainge is revealing something about Young here, and is showing drafters remorse. As he should! Guy is a GM not a fanatic, can't grow too attached to any player. James so young's clock is ticking, he needs to find his on switch before next year

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Young turned 21 in August and showed marked improvement over this off-season.  Hard to deny that he finally looked as though he belongs on an NBA court.  RJ looked about the same as last year.  Given this trajectory and the fact that RJ is just about 2 years (22 months) older than JY, I think it makes sense to keep Young.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:56:10 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The question is how did Murphy get the quote.  Did Ainge or Young state it publicly?  Did somebody leak it?  I can see Ainge saying it to Young in private but don't see why either would want it publicized. 

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I admit I was wrong saying RJ had the 15th roster spot.

I wanted RJ, but I can see it either way. Danny was clear that this was not "decided for him", in any case, and it was not an easy decision.

RJ Hunter blew it. He did have one great preseason game, but he didn't seem to carry it over into the next one. There's also no excuse for his lame shooting. That ultimately did him in.

Scoring was never his calling card, and shooting certainly isn't.  He played well throughout the preseason; in the New York game he had moments of real brilliance - the touchdown pass to Mickey for a layup, getting backdoor behind two defenders for a layup of his own...

Having said that, he certainly could have helped himself with a more reliable 3-pointer.

I think of the two, RJ is the one with the only true chance of having an NBA career.

Have to disagree here.  In any case, it looks as though Danny Ainge disagrees with you, too, at least when it comes to Young.