Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18953 times)

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Will miss you RJ :'(

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Too bad for RJ, liked him as a player, but the right move imo.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
This is the correct choice IMO.  James Young clearly put in offseason work and showed up to camp better.  RJ looked the same as he did last year. 

Young isn't in the clear, so hopefully he keeps working and improving.  He's on the roster.  Now he needs to earn playing time and a second contract.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is the correct choice IMO.  James Young clearly put in offseason work and showed up to camp better.  RJ looked the same as he did last year. 

Young isn't in the clear, so hopefully he keeps working and improving.  He's on the roster.  Now he needs to earn playing time and a second contract.

Second contract? You're ahead of yourself.  He needs to hope his option gets picked up next Monday.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Among the 2, I think this is the correct choice.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:43:03 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Does it matter much? Does anyone expect Young to play real minutes this season for us? I think they just kept the guy they got more trade inquiries on, hoping he has more value down the line as a trade piece.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 01:00:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
nm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:24:51 AM by colincb »

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I don't really think the choice matters. Neither player would make an impact on this team any time soon. I personally like RJ better and a terrible way to celebrate your birthday but it's business. The fact that RJ shoots the ball from the hip is astonishing to me and the brass probably feels that if anyone actually played defense on him that he can be shut down easier. I mean Mugsy Bogues could block hip shots which also is probably the reason that RJ took shots so deep just to be able to get the shot off. Now if James could actually play with passion and like every game was his last maybe a player could evolve. I will say that I have seen a little life and passion in his game during the preseason. Good luck to both and good luck that the Celts made the right choice.

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Young showed more improvement this season and was actually rebounding quite well which was a pleasant surprise

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Choosing Young was the better move, this pre season he showed better defensive awareness, he rebounded a bit, shot better, began to get to the rim off the dribble more.

Jimmy never should have left college at such a young age, it really stunted his growth. Hopefully he keeps growing.

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
You all have to look at the bigger picture, remember Danny's playing chess here.

James Young and Kevin Durant have the same agent (Rich Kleiman).

While RJ Hunter shares an agent (Mark Bartelstein) with Lester Hudson (waived by Danny), David Lee (waived by Danny), Dahntay Jones (waived by Danny), Will Bynum (waived by Danny), Greg Stiemsma (let walk by Danny), and E'Twaun Moore (traded away by Danny).  Bartelstein also represents Gordon Hayward.

I think it's clear, all eggs out of the sign-Gordon-Hayward-in-2017 bucket and back in the sign-Kevin-Durant-when-he-opts-out-in-2017 bucket. Also Danny apparently has some kind of strange vendetta against Barelstein with none of his clients making it past a full season with the C's!   Or of course the less plausible scenario, they just liked James Young better 8)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 01:25:21 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
You all have to look at the bigger picture, remember Danny's playing chess here.

While RJ Hunter shares an agent (Mark Bartelstein) with Lester Hudson (waived by Danny), David Lee (waived by Danny), Dahntay Jones (waived by Danny), Will Bynum (waived by Danny), Greg Stiemsma (let walk by Danny), and E'Twaun Moore (traded away by Danny).  Bartelstein also represents Gordon Hayward.

I think it's clear, all eggs out of the sign-Gordon-Hayward-in-2017 bucket and back in the sign-Kevin-Durant-when-he-opts-out-in-2017 bucket. Also Danny apparently has some kind of strange vendetta against Barelstein with none of his clients making it past a full season with the C's!   Or of course the less plausible scenario, they just liked James Young better 8)

TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Interesting theory.

TP too.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What a crappy birthday gift

Raptors i can see grabbing hunter

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I gotta think this came down to age. Neither guy lit up the preseason (except for that one game from Hunter). I think it came down to who the team thought has a better chance of improving going forward.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008