Author Topic: Do you think the new collective bargaining agreement will address protesting?  (Read 3978 times)

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
So far none of the Celtic players or staff have participated in the latest National Anthem protests before any preseason game. If it happens I hope it doesn't become a major distraction. Drawing attention from the media and possible fan backlash could lead to discord in the locker room. 

Judging from what we are seeing in the NFL there hasn't been any fines or punishments for these actions. (It's a free country.) On the other hand, NFL TV ratings are down 10%. The most influential reason for this is thought to be the Presidential elections. Still, rumblings are being made that the kneeling protests have turned off some fans and may be influencing ratings. The networks are worried because a 10% ratings drop mean a huge loss in revenue. 

With TV revenue being of paramount importance to an NBA team's ability to pay these skyrocketing salaries I'm wondering if these types of protests will be addressed in the new NBA collective bargaining agreement. Anyone think so?  I say there will be some ruling made on this point. 

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I'm not sure what the CBA could reasonably do to curb the kind of protest Kaepernick has been waging in the NFL. It also doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the NBA (yet) as most NBA teams (including the Celtics) have opted for this "unity protest" of linking arms during the anthem. I'd be shocked if the NBA pushed for something prohibiting protest in the CBA, especially after Silver's support of players wearing Black Lives Matter shirts a while back.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I really dont think the protests have driven down ratings.

Not a particularly interesting season if you ask me.

The best teams at this point look like New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Minnesota, Seahawks.

Pittsburgh was without Bell for 3 weeks and Big Ben probably for 3. Minnesota is pretty boring. Seattle doesnt have the same appeal without Marshawn Lynch, Dallas should be intriguing but I really am not interested in them whatsoever. Denver is terrific but no one wants to watch Trevor Siemien.

I think Carolina sucking hurts because Newton is a joy to watch, same with Indy and Luck and to an extent Rodgers in Green Bay. Arizona is another exciting team thats been dissapointing. Its too bad we havent been able to really see Pittsburgh working on all cylinders. Other good teams like Philly have no-names all over their offenses. Odell is a beast, but NYG just arent good enough to be must-watch.
Im a patriots fan and the only games Ive been excited about were week 1, Toms return and Tom vs. Ben which ended up not happening.

Also the No Fun League stuff hurts the product.

So many guys who put fans in seats have been out.

Romo(probably not feeling that impact since Dak has stepped up)
Manning(retired but still)
Brady(4 weeks)
Bell(3 weeks)
Big Ben(Garuntee that Brady vs. Big ben draws huge ratings)
JJ Watt
Carson Palmer missed a game
Adrian Peterson
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I can empathize with protests that have some social justification. But you have to ask yourself what would happen if you did the same at your company? Hung up a political sign where you work? That's a no no. And you might find yourself out the door. Celebrities in the entertainment world (and that includes sports) seem to have special privileges. On the other hand, their private lives are media fodder, and they now suffer penalties from their teams or leagues if they abuse their families or are arrested for DUI. It's a two-edged sword.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would find it very surprising. The NBA is probably the most liberal of the four major sports, in terms of players, fan base, and political stances of the league as a whole.  Players would object, and it's not worth the labor fight.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
nm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:25:23 AM by colincb »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
NBA player conduct rules in the CBA address this already and have for many years

(1) Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.
(2) Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.
(3) Coaches and assistant coaches must wear a sport coat or suit coat.
(4) While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.
(5) The only article bearing a commercial 'logo' which can be worn by players is their shoes.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I've also read where Adam Silver has publicly expressed a strong preference for players to demonstrate in a different way. I think he said standing for the flag was the "appropriate" thing to do.

There's also been rumors that a fairly strong "private" message was sent to all teams from NBA management urging them to not take part in these protests.

I like it. There are ways to show unity and protest injustice without alienating people and forcing the conversation to a different issue. I like what many teams have done by locking arms to show unity, which was originally a Celtics practice in Russell's days if I remember right.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as has been proven many times over throughout history.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I like what many teams have done by locking arms to show unity, which was originally a Celtics practice in Russell's days if I remember right.

I think it would be great if current players asked someone like Bill Russell what he would do, then do that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
NBA player conduct rules in the CBA address this already and have for many years

(1) Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.
(2) Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.
(3) Coaches and assistant coaches must wear a sport coat or suit coat.
(4) While playing, players must keep their uniform shirts tucked into their pants, and no T-shirts are allowed.
(5) The only article bearing a commercial 'logo' which can be worn by players is their shoes.

TP   Thanks for the info.....

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I like what many teams have done by locking arms to show unity, which was originally a Celtics practice in Russell's days if I remember right.

I think it would be great if current players asked someone like Bill Russell what he would do, then do that.

If an athlete today repeated verbatim some of Bill Russell's quotes on race and America from the 1960s, that athlete would be absolutely crucified. Seriously, look back at some of the things Russell said when he was a player.

You can read this for starts: http://www.si.com/vault/1963/11/18/594385/we-are-grown-men-playing-a-childs-game

And for the record, I consider Bill Russell the greatest basketball player ever, a civil rights icon, and a great American.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The team collectively has protested allready, and probably more instances to come. The whole locked arms thing.
Even still, the league as a whole has been very active politically, most recent instance moving the all star game to NOLA.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I've also read where Adam Silver has publicly expressed a strong preference for players to demonstrate in a different way. I think he said standing for the flag was the "appropriate" thing to do.

There's also been rumors that a fairly strong "private" message was sent to all teams from NBA management urging them to not take part in these protests.

I like it. There are ways to show unity and protest injustice without alienating people and forcing the conversation to a different issue. I like what many teams have done by locking arms to show unity, which was originally a Celtics practice in Russell's days if I remember right.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as has been proven many times over throughout history.
Except for, you know, the entire history of civil rights in America. I mean, if you don't like Kaepernick, you would've hated Bill Russell. And don't even get me started on Muhammad Ali.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Delicate issue given that 95% of the players are African American. At some point the protest thing will be overdone because it will get old and no one will pay attention anymore, so I think the league's position may be to let it resolve on its own.

If the players really want to be proactive about changing some things they have the resources and the clout to take the next step - develop some real focused efforts to improve life in our poorest inner city neighborhoods.  Whether that happens or not will be interesting to see.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The NFL ratings are down because there has been a ton of terrible football games to watch (and the Presidential Debates don't help either).  I mean last nights game was a 3-3 game going to overtime where each team then hit a FG on their first possession before each missing chip shot FG's that would have won the game and it ended in a 6-6 tie.  That is a very boring 75 minutes to watch.  And that was actually one of the better national tv games.  There is just a lot of bad football being played. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip