Author Topic: Major Trade or keep building through the draft and FA  (Read 3819 times)

Re: Major Trade or keep building through the draft and FA
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think that would be key for me too.  A younger KG, but those guys are hard to come by....

I don't think we are desperate for a major trade.

I think Ainge will only trade for a youngish star this time around rather than someone around 30 and above like he did in 07.

I think an ideal situation could be we hold on to our assets, and sign Blake Griffin next year.  Horford and Griffin could be a deadly front court combo, and our defensive identity remains on the perimeter.  All the while we continue to build for the future with our Nets picks.  The best of both worlds.
Diggles

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 02:33:04 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
In 2007, Danny had to be questioning what he had to lose gutting the team to get Ray and KG. He is in a much different spot now than then. A lot is depending how nearly every player improves or doesn't.

Some guys like Isaiah, Green, Horford and Amir are pretty much done developing. They are finished products.

Avery Bradley is still improving. Smart, Rozier and Crowder are emerging and growing. We are waiting to see how Olynyk looks.

Zeller is a trade piece and luxury deep bench option.

Jaylen is a rookie. A lot of our future team could be stashed and the next Brooklyn picks.

I doubt Danny is able to make a big trade. Sacramento will want too much for Cousins. In contrast to 2007, Danny has a lot to lose if he deals multiple solid players and top draft picks for one star.
If you stand pat, what do you do with Olynyk, Amir and Jerebko this offseason?  What do you do with Thomas, Smart and Bradley the following offseason?  All our cap space will be taken up signing our current players assuming we can even do that.

Gotta love those bird rights. Sign your guy then sign for whoever you want currently on the roster over the cap :)

Though I wouldn't just throw money away....but for sure i'd throw Thomas a max

I think saltlover has said a few times that this isnt possible for us or something like that? especially for this summer, if we want to retain Kelly and sign Blake, while giving up Amir, Jonas, Gerald, Tyler, etc.

Not sure on this summer. I'd think Kelly for sure you would own full rights and could sign him after inking Griffin....Not positive on JJ or Amir....But the following year i'd say almost for sure you could sign both guards over the cap. I could be mistaken though.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 05:16:19 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
In 2007, Danny had to be questioning what he had to lose gutting the team to get Ray and KG. He is in a much different spot now than then. A lot is depending how nearly every player improves or doesn't.

Some guys like Isaiah, Green, Horford and Amir are pretty much done developing. They are finished products.

Avery Bradley is still improving. Smart, Rozier and Crowder are emerging and growing. We are waiting to see how Olynyk looks.

Zeller is a trade piece and luxury deep bench option.

Jaylen is a rookie. A lot of our future team could be stashed and the next Brooklyn picks.

I doubt Danny is able to make a big trade. Sacramento will want too much for Cousins. In contrast to 2007, Danny has a lot to lose if he deals multiple solid players and top draft picks for one star.
If you stand pat, what do you do with Olynyk, Amir and Jerebko this offseason?  What do you do with Thomas, Smart and Bradley the following offseason?  All our cap space will be taken up signing our current players assuming we can even do that.

Gotta love those bird rights. Sign your guy then sign for whoever you want currently on the roster over the cap :)

Though I wouldn't just throw money away....but for sure i'd throw Thomas a max

I think saltlover has said a few times that this isnt possible for us or something like that? especially for this summer, if we want to retain Kelly and sign Blake, while giving up Amir, Jonas, Gerald, Tyler, etc.

Not sure on this summer. I'd think Kelly for sure you would own full rights and could sign him after inking Griffin....Not positive on JJ or Amir....But the following year i'd say almost for sure you could sign both guards over the cap. I could be mistaken though.

Kelly will have a cap hold of 7.7mill if he isn't extended at the deadline. Then he will be a RFA, an offer for which we can match and go over the cap..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Unless a team is desperate enough to trade a star, I would hold onto our assets and try to go out a rebuild through free agency. The best case scenario is that Blake Griffin opts out of his contract and agrees to sign wth BOS in the offseason. And hopefully, we win the draft lottery to draft someone who's a difference-maker

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

That's a good point, but Danny is going to trade such players into assets (Rondo, Prince, Jeff Green) or let them walk (Bass, Turner, Sully).

I have no clue how the salary cap will influence future decisions. I figure if players overlap and are approaching big money, Danny will have to trade one or the other. Someday he might have to decide between Isaiah and Rozier, Marcus and Avery, Jaylen and Jae, etc..

Celtics tradition might play into this. If Amir ages well and fits in, Danny and him should be able to work something out like he did with Zeller. Of course it seems like bad odds Zeller will make it into the rotation, but he's getting his big chance right now. Jerebko definitely has the edge on Zeller for a two-way game yet even the mediocre Zeller is better at center most scenarios. I became more interested in the Jerebko, Zeller, Mickey, Olynyk situation than the Young/Hunter decision. It is a million times more important.

The team will always change from year to year due to the economics.

Olynyk and Jerebko will perhaps be seen as an overlap. Kelly and Jonas have proven nothing except that they can fill in minutes. I guess it is nuanced and complicated how skills, performance, potential and the CBA affect whether a player stays long-term or not.

The jury is out on those guys. I am not saying they are James Young. Those guys will be in the NBA a very long time. It is not really a problem right now. It is actually a great opportunity to let this season dictate what happens for future contracts and Danny decisions.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I would do a major trade if I thought it would improve the team overall, and take them to the next level. But the assets they deal should not weaken the team short term. They are close enough where one more addition would put them in Championship contention. It's worth the climb provided they don't weaken the current team.

Can they extract a Cousins for future assets like the Nets draft picks? Maybe, but the question is whether they want a Cousins, who could be a distraction to their style of play. They are in the best position to know. Perhaps Love may become available during the season? Another question on what they would give up for him. Noel? Would take their D to a high level up front.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think the way our team is built it's really built for a guy like Brown to take a starting role ultimately.  And our young players to develop into roleplayers off our bench.  I don't think guys like AB are 6th man candidates. He's a starter.  They could be beat out ultimately by superstar talent as we develop and other guys step into that bench role though.  It's good competition that way.

If someone beats AB out as he declines thats one thing but he's still improving at this point.  He isn't a bench player.  We may trade someone like that but I doubt it any time soon.

I get what you are saying where AB could play 6th man in a depleted roster if we got a star and traded our other young guys, but I don't think that's overly the plan.  I think the plan more is for guys like Jaylen to take someones job or be that 6th man for now where we might move someone like that.

We could offer up Crowder and Smart for a superstar and start jaylen ultimately and make ab a 6th man, but i kind of have to see it to believe it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:45:07 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
What's more likely is Jaylen beats out Crowder or starts at pf ultimately.  Amir is going to get limited minutes.  HAving jaylen start ultimately with Crowder and Smart off the bench is beastly. Smart may beat out Isaiah some day.  We dont know this stuff yet. 

Injuries happen during the year. We obviously want all these guys to be on their A game. I dont see Jaylen flat out taking Crowders job this year but he could. We are one superstar Jae.

KO could take Amir's job but I think we like Amir's D in the starting  lineup on limited minutes.  Other than that Jaylen really is the guy who could earn a starting role. Marcus is our 6th man and isn't going to start any time soon with bradley and isaiah playing and healthy.

I don't think we are in trade mode right now. I think our team kind of fits together how it's assembled for now.

We aren't absolutely loaded with depth. We have Rozier and Green and Jerebko and guys like that.   We have lots of depth especially with Yab and Zizic stashed.  Mickey fits in there.  Zeller that's depth. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:36:26 PM by walker834 »