Author Topic: Major Trade or keep building through the draft and FA  (Read 3831 times)

Major Trade or keep building through the draft and FA
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think we are trade hungry.   I think our team is full of good NBA players.   Everyone one of them could be a 6th man of the year candidate.   But AL, I think.   You could make a case of bringing in a star at any position and move a current starter to the bench.  And that named player would compete for 6th man of the year.    I think we stand pat.   

This team is not better than Cleveland or Golden State, but we are close.    I like the depth and the youth.   With 2 Nets picks left that should be in the top 10, I think we shouldn't trade any key players or sacrifice our depth for a star.

I think we are one FA away from being a title contender.   If a pick and a player like Tyler Z can net us another star then do it.  But I think we have our team, coach of the future.   

Does any one else think we should stand pat and not make a trade that takes 3/4 any of these guys (Crowder, Smart, Rozier, Kelly, Amir, Bradely, Brown)
Diggles

Re: Major Trade or keep building through the draft and FA
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't think we are desperate for a major trade.

I think Ainge will only trade for a youngish star this time around rather than someone around 30 and above like he did in 07.

I think an ideal situation could be we hold on to our assets, and sign Blake Griffin next year.  Horford and Griffin could be a deadly front court combo, and our defensive identity remains on the perimeter.  All the while we continue to build for the future with our Nets picks.  The best of both worlds.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Acquiring Horford was a win now move.  To do so, we need to add a star either via trade or free agency.  We won't have enough cap space for adding a star free agent unless Amir, Jerebko and possibly Olynyk aren't re-signed next offseason.  Of the players listed, I wouldn't want to trade Bradley or Crowder unless the star being acquired played their position.  If Cousins was the star being acquired, I'd be fine with trading two or three of the other players listed plus the two Nets picks.   

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I think Ainge will only trade for a youngish star this time around rather than someone around 30 and above like he did in 07.

I think an ideal situation could be we hold on to our assets, and sign Blake Griffin next year.  Horford and Griffin could be a deadly front court combo, and our defensive identity remains on the perimeter.  All the while we continue to build for the future with our Nets picks.  The best of both worlds.

I've heard both ways on this: do we have the cap space to sign him? Especially with these new CBA changes, I feel we could already have a tough time managing our salary (what with the new draft pick scale, and the RFA rule changes). It will be interesting to see whether we can even have any room to sign Griffin, even if we let Amir, Jonas, Gerald, Kelly, any other free agents, go this summer. And that leads to another issue: if we even manage to sign Griffin, then what do we do next offseason? When Thomas, Bradley, and Smart are all free agents?

Navigating through this new CBA is gonna be a little difficult for us in the next few summers. The cheap assets we have now (Bradley, Thomas, Smart, Olynyk, etc) may soon turn into major hindrances if we are not careful. Hopefully Mike Zarren knows how to manage it all.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This is the quandary.

I think it's really a "how much will it cost" question.  I don't think it's wise to empty the cupboard for anyone.

If teams are asking too much, then use the picks to the full...(and don't forget the Memphis pick).

In addition,  there are the draft and stashed assets...the Celtics are in good shape...either way.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I've heard both ways on this: do we have the cap space to sign him? Especially with these new CBA changes, I feel we could already have a tough time managing our salary (what with the new draft pick scale, and the RFA rule changes). It will be interesting to see whether we can even have any room to sign Griffin, even if we let Amir, Jonas, Gerald, Kelly, any other free agents, go this summer. And that leads to another issue: if we even manage to sign Griffin, then what do we do next offseason? When Thomas, Bradley, and Smart are all free agents?

Navigating through this new CBA is gonna be a little difficult for us in the next few summers. The cheap assets we have now (Bradley, Thomas, Smart, Olynyk, etc) may soon turn into major hindrances if we are not careful. Hopefully Mike Zarren knows how to manage it all.
What RFA rule changes? 

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Once Warriors got KD I felt DA won't make any big trades. Any big additions will have to come via FA and draft. If team gave up anything in a major trade they would be to weak to win anyways.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

What RFA rule changes?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17845020/nba-amnesty-clause-chopping-block-cba-talks

Restricted free agents also will be able to agree to offer sheets with teams starting on July 1 instead of waiting until July 7. The window for teams to match these offer sheets will be reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours.

Also, teams will no longer be able to pull qualifying offers to restricted free agents, as is currently allowed before July 31.

The bold is the most important part. Less time to match, and they can negotiate earlier, which could hint at a possible removal of the moratorium period completely, if they can sign on July 1.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Acquiring Horford was a win now move.  To do so, we need to add a star either via trade or free agency.  We won't have enough cap space for adding a star free agent unless Amir, Jerebko and possibly Olynyk aren't re-signed next offseason.  Of the players listed, I wouldn't want to trade Bradley or Crowder unless the star being acquired played their position.  If Cousins was the star being acquired, I'd be fine with trading two or three of the other players listed plus the two Nets picks.

You would give up 2 or 3 players and both the Nets picks for Cousins who is a risk? YUCK!!

Anyway IMO we can trade for an upgrade using our guards IMO because of the depth. But more importantly we need another big that can rebound. But to me it seems more realistic we try to pick up someone in free agency and use the Nets picks ourselves.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

You would give up 2 or 3 players and both the Nets picks for Cousins who is a risk? YUCK!!

Anyway IMO we can trade for an upgrade using our guards IMO because of the depth. But more importantly we need another big that can rebound. But to me it seems more realistic we try to pick up someone in free agency and use the Nets picks ourselves.
Assuming he came on the market soon and there was a bidding war, yes I would definitely give up for example Amir, Rozier and the 2 Nets picks.  Next offseason as a 1 year rental my offer would be a lot lower.  Cousins only makes 15.7M next season.  We'd be able to trade for him, keep our core and possibly add a significant free agent. 

Where are you going to get the cap space to pick up anyone significant in free agency?  Signing Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko and our two 1st rounders would eat all our available cap space up.   

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
In 2007, Danny had to be questioning what he had to lose gutting the team to get Ray and KG. He is in a much different spot now than then. A lot is depending how nearly every player improves or doesn't.

Some guys like Isaiah, Green, Horford and Amir are pretty much done developing. They are finished products.

Avery Bradley is still improving. Smart, Rozier and Crowder are emerging and growing. We are waiting to see how Olynyk looks.

Zeller is a trade piece and luxury deep bench option.

Jaylen is a rookie. A lot of our future team could be stashed and the next Brooklyn picks.

I doubt Danny is able to make a big trade. Sacramento will want too much for Cousins. In contrast to 2007, Danny has a lot to lose if he deals multiple solid players and top draft picks for one star.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
In 2007, Danny had to be questioning what he had to lose gutting the team to get Ray and KG. He is in a much different spot now than then. A lot is depending how nearly every player improves or doesn't.

Some guys like Isaiah, Green, Horford and Amir are pretty much done developing. They are finished products.

Avery Bradley is still improving. Smart, Rozier and Crowder are emerging and growing. We are waiting to see how Olynyk looks.

Jaylen is a rookie. A lot of our future team could be stashed and the next Brooklyn picks.

I doubt Danny is able to make a big trade. Sacramento will want too much for Cousins. In contrast to 2007, Danny has a lot to lose if he deals multiple solid players and top draft picks for one star.
If you stand pat, what do you do with Olynyk, Amir and Jerebko this offseason?  What do you do with Thomas, Smart and Bradley the following offseason?  All our cap space will be taken up signing our current players assuming we can even do that.   

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:40 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Assuming he came on the market soon and there was a bidding war, yes I would definitely give up for example Amir, Rozier and the 2 Nets picks.  Next offseason as a 1 year rental my offer would be a lot lower.  Cousins only makes 15.7M next season.  We'd be able to trade for him, keep our core and possibly add a significant free agent. 

Where are you going to get the cap space to pick up anyone significant in free agency?  Signing Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko and our two 1st rounders would eat all our available cap space up.   

Amir and TRoz I can see all though TRoz is really starting to grow on me, Smart, KO, or JJ I could deal with but not both those Net picks! Any 2 of those and 1 Nets pick and even I would roll the dice and I'm not a Cousins fan and still think it's a gamble. He's just such a moron I can't stand it!

As for next off season I'm not sure any of those guys are back. I like them all and keep fantasizing KO takes the next step this year. But honestly his ability to stay healthy worries me. If we strike out on a FA Big than they may all be back.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 11:15:29 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6

If you stand pat, what do you do with Olynyk, Amir and Jerebko this offseason?  What do you do with Thomas, Smart and Bradley the following offseason?  All our cap space will be taken up signing our current players assuming we can even do that.

Gotta love those bird rights. Sign your guy then sign for whoever you want currently on the roster over the cap :)

Though I wouldn't just throw money away....but for sure i'd throw Thomas a max

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 11:20:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Gotta love those bird rights. Sign your guy then sign for whoever you want currently on the roster over the cap :)

Though I wouldn't just throw money away....but for sure i'd throw Thomas a max

I think saltlover has said a few times that this isnt possible for us or something like that? especially for this summer, if we want to retain Kelly and sign Blake, while giving up Amir, Jonas, Gerald, Tyler, etc.