Author Topic: jackson discussion  (Read 3078 times)

jackson discussion
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:59:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
since summer league i have noticed jackson doesn't handle double teams or pressure well  and during pre season he seemed to have trouble with length causing several turnovers and deflections
also picks up the ball at times -a big NO NO
he has crazy vertical ,nice jumper-does he just need work on dribbling skills and time getting used to nba length
again right team as he gets to watch isaiah as rozier did
it is a tough adjustment to nba for guards
what is jacksons upside?
i

Re: jackson discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
since summer league i have noticed jackson doesn't handle double teams or pressure well  and during pre season he seemed to have trouble with length causing several turnovers and deflections
also picks up the ball at times -a big NO NO
he has crazy vertical ,nice jumper-does he just need work on dribbling skills and time getting used to nba length
again right team as he gets to watch isaiah as rozier did
it is a tough adjustment to nba for guards
what is jacksons upside?
i

That seems like stuff that someone with his tools ought to be able to refine and overcome. But he probably has to be a crazy hard worker like TRoz is to really make the leap--and I haven't heard that about him. My guess is that the C's finally trade their top pick this year, so Jackson will get a chance to run the team in SL. We'll see then whether he's developing more on TRoz's trajectory -- or RJ's path.

Also, TRoz does have the better length--only 3/4" taller, but 2 3/4" greater wingspan--which makes a difference or course particularly for D at that position.

IMO the question is whether he manages to grow into being TRoz's backup if IT doesn't end up staying as the sixth man on a championship contending team--which I don't think he'll do. The C's may just keep Marcus in the sixth man role in that case, and let him run the second unit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:57:22 AM by clover »

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is in over his head right now.  The step up to NBA level athletics always shocks the rookies . 

Some guys meet the challenge with hard work ,  some just don't have enough of the skill sets to make it no matter how bad they want it.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:33 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not sure what they like in him honestly. Nothing I have seen so far has lead me to believe he's an NBA player. I'm sure if he works hard he can improve, Maine is callin him.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not sure why he's even here except that maybe Danny sees something which I have not seen.  From what I've seen, his ceiling is a steady PG, potentially.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Not sure why he's even here except that maybe Danny sees something which I have not seen.  From what I've seen, his ceiling is a steady PG, potentially.

A steady PG on a rookie contract for 4 years.  Brilliant Danny!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am surprised that he seems to be a lock for the roster, I think he should be fighting for the last roster spot with RJ and Young.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Jackson was projected by many mocks to be a top 20 pick. The fact that he slipped to 45 was too enticing for Danny. I like this pick a lot better than the Thornton pick at roughly the same spot by Danny.

This from Draftexpress on 4/21/16:

It's not a stretch to say that Jackson is still figuring out the nuances of the point guard position, as he isn't the most natural playmaker at the moment, displaying average court vision and savvy and missing some easy reads at times due to his lack of size. He's not a guy that will whip the ball all over the floor with crisp passes, and he struggles to use re-screens and will generally make some questionable decisions at times.

Defensively, Jackson's swift hands, quick feet, long arms and strong frame gives him a good baseline to develop into an above average stopper in time, despite his lack of size. Unfortunately he doesn't use this consistently to his advantage, as his effort level seems to waver at times, he can be very upright in his stance, and he doesn't do a great job of getting over and through ball screens. This was hardly something that was unique just to him on Notre Dame's squad, as the Irish defense ranked at the bottom of the ACC this past season. Jackson will likely be asked to put significantly more emphasis on this part of his game in a smaller role in the NBA, certainly early on, and he has the tools to be very effective here if he puts his mind to it.

While Jackson has some weaknesses, it's difficult to find point guards who display the same level of potential he does as a shooter, scorer, playmaker and defender, especially with his athletic tools. Many of his deficiencies are things he can continue to work on, and by all accounts he has the type of intangibles you look for in a budding prospect that will be coachable about addressing his flaws. It certainly helps that this appears to be a fairly shallow draft class in terms of starting caliber point guards, which should give him a great chance to be invited to the Green Room on draft night.

He obviously has some warts, but good potential and the tools too.

Here is the citation for the whole article, most of it pretty complimentary.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demetrius-Jackson-7218/

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
re visited old tapes and draft express-this kid was a perfect piece to send to maine, he will get the coaching reps and shoot all the threes he wants, he will get seasoned like rozier
-38% career 3 point shooter
-love the form on his shot and elevation
-between summer league and pre season  my eye was focusing on blunders not the pluses
i now think that jackson was a steal

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nate Rob.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Watched a lot of him at ND and I loved the pick.

At ND he played primarily off ball with Jerian Grant running the show. His senior year, he was able to take over the primary ball handling duties, but ND runs an absurdly static and disgusting offense, so Demetrius doesnt really have experience as a floor general. He is very explosive getting to the hole and does a good job in isolation situations. His jumpshot is terrific and the 38% number is actually misleading because the horrible offensive scheme resulted in him being forced to take countless end of shotclock 3s. He is good in pick and roll and a natural finisher at the rim. He is also terrific in transition and a freak athlete. Hes also a very high character player. The story behind him is very impressive.

If he can continue to defend and finish around all the extra length I think he can forge out a long career as a rotation gaurd. I think he would pair well with Smart or Rozier as he can play off the ball or on the ball.

Hopefully by the time we need to make a decision on Smart-Thomas-Bradley hes developped into a solid 3rd or 4th guard.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'll admit I wasn't pleased with Jackson's play in the Summer League and questioned the 4 year contract. During the preseason he has proved to be better than anticipated and handles the ball ... good enough.

Eventually, he might prove to be a good 3rd team point-guard option especially if Isaiah gets hurt.

On the the other hand, there always seem to be a handful of point guards available every off-season that might be better options. Overall, I'm okay with keeping him. 

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Watched a lot of him at ND and I loved the pick.

At ND he played primarily off ball with Jerian Grant running the show. His senior year, he was able to take over the primary ball handling duties, but ND runs an absurdly static and disgusting offense, so Demetrius doesnt really have experience as a floor general. He is very explosive getting to the hole and does a good job in isolation situations. His jumpshot is terrific and the 38% number is actually misleading because the horrible offensive scheme resulted in him being forced to take countless end of shotclock 3s. He is good in pick and roll and a natural finisher at the rim. He is also terrific in transition and a freak athlete. Hes also a very high character player. The story behind him is very impressive.

If he can continue to defend and finish around all the extra length I think he can forge out a long career as a rotation gaurd. I think he would pair well with Smart or Rozier as he can play off the ball or on the ball.

Hopefully by the time we need to make a decision on Smart-Thomas-Bradley hes developped into a solid 3rd or 4th guard.

tp that was a nice post-well put

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
He's another tough guy too. 

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I'm actually thrilled we got Jackson especially at that spot. To me he's looked good. Here gets wants to go, good shooter. Handles look fine.