Author Topic: Would you trade Thomas for Brandon Ingram  (Read 4698 times)

Would you trade Thomas for Brandon Ingram
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Ingram is not a set in stone name. I'll give other examples of names, my point is if you had a chance to grab a highly touted prospect that hasn't proven much yet, would you pull the trigger for Thomas.

Jabari Parker
 Dangelo Russell
 Wiggins
 Marquise Chriss

Would you trade Thomas for just one of those guy's. Or all of them. I guess it depends on how much money the little guy wants.

Re: Would you trade Thomas for Brandon Ingram
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:54:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Only Wiggins possibly.  IT's playing a major role here and things are going well.  The others, while exciting, aren't proven imo.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:26:38 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Russell and Wiggins I probably would, and possibly Ingram and Parker, though I'm hesitant on those two. Chriss still has a lot to show before making that trade, even if he does have sky high potential.

Russell would be a dynamite fit next to Smart, and a Smart/Wiggins/Brown 1, 2, 3 would be ferocious and ridiculously versatile.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:33:49 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
IMO none are worth a swap when we have just signed Horford, the only player that can replace Thomas now is another All-Star (or soon to be).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:41:04 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Of course. Easy decision. Ingram over Isaiah.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:51:45 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Absolutely would trade Thomas for Ingram, Russell or Wiggins.  Thomas' contract is up in two years and there's a good chance we don't re-sign him. 

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
None of those players available in a trade for IT. Why bother to speculate?

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So IT for a recent top 3 pick prospect. Though it seems like great value and long term potential I have to say no. Team just spent a ton on Hordeford. You also have a few guys in/hitting their prime that are very good in AB and Crowder. Team also has players it's already developing that were top 6 picks in Smart and Brown. I'd try for being as good as possible right now. Build a Heat/Spurs team that recruits another big star via the draw of a long time competitive outlook. Think young players that want out of a bad winning situation like Noel. That may also end up including Parker, Russell and Chriss. C's can be their team up option team.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like all those players but trading IT for one of them would set us back right now. Also would have to look at salary cap situations coming up in the future. IT is due for a new contract in a couple years but so are many of them and some of our young guys, can't sign everyone.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
It'll never happen.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like Thomas. He means more to our team than just a talent. He is the spoon that stirs the opponent's defense. He is also becoming a great ambassador for Boston

I don't think any of those offers would be available, except for maybe the Parker offer, but even if they were, why are we trading a proven all-star?

Parker and Wiggins have both proven to have upper tier talent, but both of their advanced stats have been awful. They have serious weaknesses in their game. Both are poor on defense and struggle shooting outside.

How is Russell going to be better than Thomas? He might get a few more assists, but he will have the same defensive deficiencies as Thomas, and he will never be as good as Thomas at driving.

Ingram is an unproven commodity. I'm still unconvinced that he is a cornerstone. He is not super-explosive and if he adds weight, will he lose some explosion? He looks like Nic Batum or Rudy Gay to me at best. That means we would be trading an all-star at one of the deepest positions in the league for a starter.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We got an all-star. We got a second all-star. Why are we talking about trading them?

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
None of those players available in a trade for IT. Why bother to speculate?

I think the broader question is how much are we going to invest in Thomas and also Horford.  I could see us trading either for a younger player.  A deal like that would be hard but say the Knicks want to make a run and offer you something good for Thomas or Horford.  Maybe MIN thinks they are a veteran away and offer something.

I think we have to do that type of reset deal.  A duo of Thomas and Horford as our "all-stars" is pretty good and a nice story for two likable guys but they are probably on the downside and everything else about our assets is on the upside (Brown, BNK 2017, BNK 2018, our stashes).  We have a number of opportunities to find a couple of stars that will be better than Thomas or Horford.

Now if we have a chance for another KG type trade where we give up our assets for an in his prime star, I am OK with that too.  I just think it is less likely.  Ainge will keep that option open for a while but at some point, you have to give up on that and plan to reset around our young hopeful stars.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
That sounds like a good way to ensure that we never get another good free agent.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nope.  That would make us weaker.  Thomas is better than all of those guys right now.
The only guy who might be better in long term is Russell because he's an upgrade size-wise. 

But if we are banking on player improvement we already have guys on the roster who might step up in the future in Smart and Rozier.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Ingram is not a set in stone name. I'll give other examples of names, my point is if you had a chance to grab a highly touted prospect that hasn't proven much yet, would you pull the trigger for Thomas.

Jabari Parker
 Dangelo Russell
 Wiggins
 Marquise Chriss

Would you trade Thomas for just one of those guy's. Or all of them. I guess it depends on how much money the little guy wants.
IT? This thread is cute.