Author Topic: Would you trade Thomas for Brandon Ingram  (Read 4699 times)

Re: Would you trade Thomas for Brandon Ingram
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
None of those players available in a trade for IT. Why bother to speculate?

I dunno, milwaukee would consider Jabari for Isaiah and jae. I wouldn't do that, but they would consider that.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Trading Thomas for any of those guys means taking an immediate step backwards to take (maybe) two steps forward later which messes up the timetable with Horford. So no, thanks.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yes!

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Would make no sense for the lakers.  Boston would do it.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hell yes, IT is going to get paid a huge salary soon.

The Lakers would never do it though unfortunately.

If you were the Lakers or one of these teams why would you even consider it?

Only team I could see considering it is maybe the Bucks for a Jabari + IT trade. And the Bucks would then be committed to overpaying for IT when he's a free agent.

Imagine a young core of

Smart
Rozier
Brown
Ingram+
Brooklyn picks
yikes.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I mean, yeah I'd trade him for anyone on that list except Chriss. I'd go for Russell first. Then probably Parker or Wiggins, then Ingram.

And all of those teams clearly say no.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This thread is singlehandedly separating the dreamers from the reality based posters. It's one of the funniest threads I've seen in a very long time.

Why aren't we adding Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray to the list? Maybe Denzel Valentine while we're at it.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Can't afford to trade Thomas. He's most of the offense--even with Horford. Lucky he played 81 games last year. Keep your fingers crossed.

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
No chance. Thomas is a better player than anyone on that list. I take proven talent over potential, especially when you're dealing with headcases like Russel, or guys with physical limitations (Ingram).

I also don't know why anyone is opposed to hitting Isaiah with a max in a few years though. The dude is a top 25 player.

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we had missed out on Horford over the summer it's possible (although unlikely) I could have been convinced.  But that is happily not the situation we're in, so most definitely not!

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:10 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No chance. Thomas is a better player than anyone on that list. I take proven talent over potential, especially when you're dealing with headcases like Russel, or guys with physical limitations (Ingram).

I also don't know why anyone is opposed to hitting Isaiah with a max in a few years though. The dude is a top 25 player.

I am not paying a guy like Isaiah who relies on speed as his primary way of scoring and being effective (because lets be honest, his defense isnt good), a max contract as he gets into his 30s in age. that would not be a smart move at all. he's only gonna get slower as he ages.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You guys seem so convinced Thomas isn't going to age well, and I do agree. But Thomas has always been so good at throwing up floaters and his finishing is still going to at least be above or close to league average.

I would love to give him like 5-7 million less, like 16-18 if he was willing to take it, with a few years invested, but if he's solely looking for a max contract, then I'm going to say no thanks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
You guys seem so convinced Thomas isn't going to age well, and I do agree. But Thomas has always been so good at throwing up floaters and his finishing is still going to at least be above or close to league average.

I would love to give him like 5-7 million less, like 16-18 if he was willing to take it, with a few years invested, but if he's solely looking for a max contract, then I'm going to say no thanks.

But then what?  Odds are the Celtics will have no cap room to sign a replacement by the time he hits free agency.  If the team has a top two record in the conference the next couple of seasons, you need to keep him.  Even if it's a bit more than you'd like.

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

But then what?  Odds are the Celtics will have no cap room to sign a replacement by the time he hits free agency.  If the team has a top two record in the conference the next couple of seasons, you need to keep him.  Even if it's a bit more than you'd like.

His contract ends in 2 years right? Sorry I'm at work at my graveyard shift, and our wifi seems to be really bad, so I can't look it up.

But we'll have two full fledged years to find a replacement, and I think DJax, Rozier, and Smart will be able to replace IT.

I would love to put IT in the same position as Manu Ginobli, a great sixth man that can score with the 1st and 2nd unit. I really do think that the height of IT, who is like what 5'8, 5'9? People regarded Iverson as a subpar defender, but at least he was almost the average height of a typical NBA PG. 6'1 versus 6'2 or 6'3.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

His contract ends in 2 years right? Sorry I'm at work at my graveyard shift, and our wifi seems to be really bad, so I can't look it up.

But we'll have two full fledged years to find a replacement, and I think DJax, Rozier, and Smart will be able to replace IT.

I would love to put IT in the same position as Manu Ginobli, a great sixth man that can score with the 1st and 2nd unit. I really do think that the height of IT, who is like what 5'8, 5'9? People regarded Iverson as a subpar defender, but at least he was almost the average height of a typical NBA PG. 6'1 versus 6'2 or 6'3.

I think you're underrating what IT brings to the table.  He's an elite scorer.  None of the guys we have who can also play point resemble someone who's an elite scorer.

But even looking at Manu -- he was an All-Star at 33, and probably should have been one a couple times between 29 and 32.  He had a team friendly contract because he signed a six-year deal at 27, the year before he became an all-star, and the next time he hit free agency was at 33.  If he hit free agency at 29, he'd have probably found someone to offer him the max.

IT will hit free agency at 29.  A max deal takes him to 33.  That's not an unreasonable time period.  At all.  And the Celtics do not currently have a player on the roster who will be better for most of the 2018-2021 seasons.