Author Topic: Celtics Sign Ryan Kelly  (Read 8117 times)

Re: Celtics Sign Ryan Kelly
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Kelly has shown some flashes. Maybe they signed him just to get him to the D-League? (I'm not sure on the exact specifics of that rule.)

Final three cuts can go to the d-league, so could be.

Or perhaps there is a slightly larger trade in the works that will leave us with an open roster spot.  I know what I'm hoping for.

A "D-league expert" agrees.

"The Celtics signing Ryan Kelly likely means he will be playing in Maine as affiliate player."

https://twitter.com/Chris_Reichert/status/789625306659168258

Red Claws are going undefeated this season, baby!

So this would mean he's not counted one of our 15 roster spots?  No brainer then.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kelly has shown some flashes. Maybe they signed him just to get him to the D-League? (I'm not sure on the exact specifics of that rule.)

Final three cuts can go to the d-league, so could be.

Or perhaps there is a slightly larger trade in the works that will leave us with an open roster spot.  I know what I'm hoping for.

A "D-league expert" agrees.

"The Celtics signing Ryan Kelly likely means he will be playing in Maine as affiliate player."

https://twitter.com/Chris_Reichert/status/789625306659168258

Red Claws are going undefeated this season, baby!

So this would mean he's not counted one of our 15 roster spots?  No brainer then.

Yeah that sounds like the move. Makes total sense now, we get another NBA-caliber player in the D-League and have some emergency big man depth. ~0 risk with some modest reward.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He gives us depth if something happens.  Reading the front page here just sounds like he will play in Maine and Bentil wouldn't.  He fits into our system as a stretch 4.  He probably will not play until something happens whether it's a trade or loads of injury or Mickey has to go down or something.

I'm amazed how fast the celtics made this move. They obviously watch the wire and just knew bentil  was a cut.

Not sure I understand the "provides depth for emergency" comments (several have said similar things).  If we have 15 on the roster, and Kelly is NOT one of the 15, then I don't think he can be "called up" just because someone gets injured.  Don't injured players stay on the 15 man roster?

Now if Kelly is one of the 15 but playing at Maine, then yes, they can "bring him up".  Am I missing something?   They can also resign him if a trade opens up a roster spot and that could be part of the plan, kind of a replacement for Bentil.  Can't any other team sign him as well though?

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Trade coming possibly?

That is a possible explanation, but it's far less likely than the D-League thing.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
My guess is, Kelly is gonna go to the D-League to replace Bentil. Apparently, Bentil doesn't want to play in Maine. Cs probably needed a JAG to play forward there

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
He gives us depth if something happens.  Reading the front page here just sounds like he will play in Maine and Bentil wouldn't.  He fits into our system as a stretch 4.  He probably will not play until something happens whether it's a trade or loads of injury or Mickey has to go down or something.

I'm amazed how fast the celtics made this move. They obviously watch the wire and just knew bentil  was a cut.

Not sure I understand the "provides depth for emergency" comments (several have said similar things).  If we have 15 on the roster, and Kelly is NOT one of the 15, then I don't think he can be "called up" just because someone gets injured.  Don't injured players stay on the 15 man roster?

Now if Kelly is one of the 15 but playing at Maine, then yes, they can "bring him up".  Am I missing something?   They can also resign him if a trade opens up a roster spot and that could be part of the plan, kind of a replacement for Bentil.  Can't any other team sign him as well though?

I don't understand the inner workings myself enough but he is still with our affiliate where can't we just sign him to a 10 day contract to have him come up in case of emergency? That's a good question though.   Also if a trade is made and we have the roster space we would be able to do the same?

The celtics in teh past  have signed players to 10 day contracts to play for our afilliate that never play for us.  It could just be as simple and filling the roster there. 

An explanation would be good because I honestly don't know how that works. 
But am curious as well.  This is one of those Ainge knows what he's doing moments to me.

Having him with our affiliate vs him being somewhere else has to be better than for obvious reasons.  It  keeps him off other teams rosters where we can sign him if need be.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:22:39 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
*Dry heave*

What could a poster named tarheelsxxiii possibly have against Ryan Kelly?  ???

Ryan Kelly is a LEGEND!!!

Go Duke

Lol.  Thought I'd grow out of it, but haven't -- convinced 'fandom' is an inherited, irrational, life-long condition for some.  But, no less great for it.

No shame in it, if anything sports today could use more rampant, unapologetic, loyal fandom. TP!

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I just read that Okynyk is finally participating in full contact practices.

I say signing Ryan Kelly just did what it was intended to.

Nice job Ainge.

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Ryan kelly has been waived, the end of an era thanks for all the memories.

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

lol this reply on twitter was gold

https://twitter.com/BobbyIlliamson/status/789923223773310977
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

lol this reply on twitter was gold

https://twitter.com/BobbyIlliamson/status/789923223773310977
Too bad he's not on here.  He'd get a lot of TPs for that.   So I'll give you a TP instead. 

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He was waived so he can sign with the red claws.

I guess it can't hurt seeing if he can improve.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He was waived so he can sign with the red claws.

I guess it can't hurt seeing if he can improve.

Exactly right

Via Jarred Weiss - Ryan Kelly left the #Celtics facility half an hour ago after being waived. Pretty content as he will be signing to play for the Red Claws.

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I like the Kelly signing. He looked much better and more confident this preseason than he did last year. Plus, he'll be able to space the floor for Mickey, Jackson, etc. in the D league.

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like the Kelly signing. He looked much better and more confident this preseason than he did last year. Plus, he'll be able to space the floor for Mickey, Jackson, etc. in the D league.

Lol. The season really needs to start.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC