Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?

Yes, many are underrating the Celtics
15 (22.1%)
No, we are overrating the Celtics
16 (23.5%)
No, we are being pegged about right
37 (54.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Poll: Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?  (Read 9087 times)

Re: Poll: Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I guess I've been hearing we are 2nd best in the east.  I'm not so sure about that.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The NBA TV guys play to the lowest common denominator. It's a show for casual NBA fans.

So I'm not surprised they come off sounding less knowledgeable and dismissive of the Celts.

With that said, in most places I've seen / heard predictions regarding the standings this year, it is typically agreed that the clear next best teams in the East after Cleveland are Toronto and Boston. I've also heard it said that Boston could very well be the number one defense this year.

So I think maybe among casual fans and media pundits who cater to them, the answer might be yes. But generally speaking among knowledgeable people I think the answer is no.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Judging from previous posts on CB, the consensus seems to be we've been better than Toronto for the past 3 years.

I don't think this is the case, but okay.  Wasn't me saying it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Last season, there were 5 Eastern Conf teams with 48 wins.  I think that kind of clustering is going to happen again with the Celtics in the cluster.  So the difference between 2nd seed in the east and say 6th or 7th may come down to a game or two impacted by a bad night or a freak injury.

I am not sure how much better the Celtics will be than last season.  I feel they overachieved in the regular season and were exposed in the playoffs.  Other than Indiana, I don't think many of the teams in the cluster will be better though and many seem like they will be worse.

The Celtics changes are essentially Sullinger and Turner replaced with Horford and Brown or Green (pick your favorite color).  I don't see that change moving the needle much but with some other teams potentially falling back some,the Celtics may be better on a relative basis.

I do not feel the Celtics are being slept on.  If anything, they are one of those "sexy picks", not everywhere, but in plenty of places.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Quote from: kozlodoev
That's not entirely surprising. We overachieved last year, and the offseason was a mixed bag. Yes, we added Horford, but he's not a franchise altering addition, and going from Sullinger to Horford in the starting lineup is less of an improvement than people think. We also lost Turner and haven't really replaced him effectively. The bench has been largely unreliable so far.

A lot of players on our roster need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Also, we will be on the scouting report this time around. I would expect about the same record as last year, and I don't expect this to be enough for the top 2 seeds. We'll see.

I wouldn't call last year overachieving. We need to get off to quicker starts.

Was Crowder a fluke? Is Bradley a mirage who peaked last year and is going to fall back to earth? I don't understand why you think we are so mediocre.

And I bolded the part that I truly thought was way out there. I usually like your comments, but every once in a while they are unbelievable.

Turner has been replaced. Horford is much better than Sullinger. Jaylen Brown is good enough to help win games.

Why does the glass have to always be half empty?

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't expect our regular season win total to expand beyond more than 55 wins. And I feel getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs will be a tough fight. 

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No. We're already getting overhyped, with a large portion of the media calling us the clear cut second seed. I'd say we're even a little overrated. Toronto, Indiana, Boston are all gonna be in that dog fight for the second seed. Also, the season ends in the playoffs. Let's get out of the first round before patting ourselves on the back and saying that "people are sleeping" on us.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The media has them on 50 wins, which I think is about right for predictions. However, I saw a NBA network program of ex-players (I.Thomas, Anthony, McHale, Webber, S.Smith , and one other guy I can't remember) asked who would be the team 2nd in the East to the Cavs. Several said the Knicks, barring injuries. Only McHale said the Celtics.

I can't think of anybody in the media predicting that high for the Knicks. The caveat about injuries is silly, because everybody knows Rose and Noah can no longer play a full season. And I have my doubts about Anthony as well. These guys are on the downside of their careers, though Anthony looked good in the Olympics, FWIW.

Somebody mentioned the Pacers, who I think are the only real competitor to the Cs for runnerup to the Cavs. And I think Horford gives the Cs a bigger boost.

None of this stuff matters anyways, because it all depends on injuries. Where would the Heat or the Cavs have been in their championship runs with Lebron if he had gone down with an injury?Up the creek without their paddle.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Many people still have questions about the team. I have a lot of optimism, I believe in the players who have done so well under Stevens and I expect them to be better with experience. Horford may have his best season ever due to being in this line up with this system. The whole organisation are so positive and know they are getting closer to the holy grail they have been building to.

Others may be asking, is the offence good enough? Is Turner going to be a big loss? Does the roster have the right balance? Where is the star player?

There are other legitimate questions about the Celtics and their ability to finish top 2 or 3 in the East. Better line ups have failed in the past with greater expectation. I don't think my faith is misplaced though. By the All Star break people may be asking, 'can the Celtics go top'?

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
From what I've seen, most pundits seem to have our Celtics ranked appropriately; that is as one of the top challengers for second in the East.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:10 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills here with some people here. Indiana is not good. I don't see how anyone thinks they are more than a 5th seed at best. I also don't get the whole "we overachieved last year". If anything I think we should have won more than we did. There were a few injuries that held us back.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Defense is always underappreciated so, yes the C's are sleepers.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No.

we are one of the top teams from the east

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Quote from: kozlodoev
That's not entirely surprising. We overachieved last year, and the offseason was a mixed bag. Yes, we added Horford, but he's not a franchise altering addition, and going from Sullinger to Horford in the starting lineup is less of an improvement than people think. We also lost Turner and haven't really replaced him effectively. The bench has been largely unreliable so far.

A lot of players on our roster need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Also, we will be on the scouting report this time around. I would expect about the same record as last year, and I don't expect this to be enough for the top 2 seeds. We'll see.

I wouldn't call last year overachieving. We need to get off to quicker starts.

Was Crowder a fluke? Is Bradley a mirage who peaked last year and is going to fall back to earth? I don't understand why you think we are so mediocre.

And I bolded the part that I truly thought was way out there. I usually like your comments, but every once in a while they are unbelievable.

Turner has been replaced. Horford is much better than Sullinger. Jaylen Brown is good enough to help win games.

Why does the glass have to always be half empty?
The glass is not half-empty. Being a 45+ win playoff team is just fine, and the outlook down the road is fantastic. But I do think the upgrade we're getting with Horford is overrated, the loss of Turner is underrated, and the production people expect from some of our starters this season is far from a given.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
In some respect I think "people" are sleeping on the C's, as we will be a VERY GOOD team.  We will definitely have a chance to be "the second best" team in the east, and one of the top five in the league.
That being said beating the Cavs, and winning the East, and then beating Golden State for the championship, would be like winning MegaMillions one night, and then winning Powerball the next night!
Enjoy the season, but don't get dellusions of winning it all!