Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?

Yes, many are underrating the Celtics
15 (22.1%)
No, we are overrating the Celtics
16 (23.5%)
No, we are being pegged about right
37 (54.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Poll: Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?  (Read 9163 times)

Poll: Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:45:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So I've been watching quite a bit of NBATV today, and a constant theme seems to be present - people are really sleeping on the C's.

I noticed this several different times between the program The Starters and Open Court, along with other observations from many other supposed basketball tv  "analysts."

On The Starters today, a question was asked about who will be the best defensive team in the league this year. San Antonio, Charlotte, and Utah were all mentioned, but Boston was not mentioned, even though we did more to better our already top-4 defense than any other team in the league, i.e. replacing Sully with Horford and Turner with Brown, who is more versatile defensively than Turner. Hell, of our 11-man rotation, (IT, AB, JC, AH, AJ, TR, MS, GG, KO, JJ, and JB) only 3-4 of those guys wouldn't be considered above-average defenders at their position (IT, GG, KO, and maybe JB as a rookie?).

Further, when it came to several differing questions on who would be 2nd in the East and who could potentially challenge Cleveland in the Eastern Conference, Indiana and Toronto were both generally mentioned as the two most likely, and Boston was put in the less likely group with the likes of Charlotte, Detroit, and Atlanta.

I was pretty incredulous at this. Not only has Horford proven to be an outright perfect fit in Boston, but you have to count in the fact that several of our young guys will naturally progress with more experience, along with none of our guys really losing anything due to age. When these facts are added to the fact that we were already a top-3 record team to begin with, I think it's clear that we should be considered the top contender to Cleveland in the East and in prime position to come in second, if not first, in the Eastern Conference.

What do you think? Are people sleeping on the C's?

Re: Poll: Are People Sleeping on the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
So I've been watching quite a bit of NBATV today, and a constant theme seems to be present - people are really sleeping on the C's.

I noticed this several different times between the program The Starters and Open Court, along with other observations from many other supposed basketball tv  "analysts."

On The Starters today, a question was asked about who will be the best defensive team in the league this year. San Antonio, Charlotte, and Utah were all mentioned, but Boston was not mentioned, even though we did more to better our already top-4 defense than any other team in the league, i.e. replacing Sully with Horford and Turner with Brown, who is more versatile defensively than Turner. Hell, of our 11-man rotation, (IT, AB, JC, AH, AJ, TR, MS, GG, KO, JJ, and JB) only 3-4 of those guys wouldn't be considered above-average defenders at their position (IT, GG, KO, and maybe JB as a rookie?).

Further, when it came to several differing questions on who would be 2nd in the East and who could potentially challenge Cleveland in the Eastern Conference, Indiana and Toronto were both generally mentioned as the two most likely, and Boston was put in the less likely group with the likes of Charlotte, Detroit, and Atlanta.

I was pretty incredulous at this. Not only has Horford proven to be an outright perfect fit in Boston, but you have to count in the fact that several of our young guys will naturally progress with more experience, along with none of our guys really losing anything due to age. When these facts are added to the fact that we were already a top-3 record team to begin with, I think it's clear that we should be considered the top contender to Cleveland in the East and in prime position to come in second, if not first, in the Eastern Conference.

Many people, including highly respected one's like Lowe have pegged us as second most likely as well as vegas linesmakers. I wouldn't worry about a few talking heads on NBATV saying otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Celtics have always been a team that many simply don't want to win, maybe it comes from the years of total domination in the late 50's to the early 70's. Then again in the late 80's. I remember one of Rick Barry's sons was drafted by the Celtics, and refused to play for the organization. (the idiot)   

Another factor IMO is the fact we really don't have a superstar. We don't have a player that analysts and announcers can gush over. IT is kind of close, but his name is alway qualified with "for his size"

This year baring injuries, we're gonna surprise some of these experts, and then hopefully a star player with some insight, is gonna see the grit this team plays with, and get aboard.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Utah, really?

Outside of Hill and Gobert, do they really have much defensive talent?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bench is too young and inconsistent to get C's the second seed. But 3 is possible.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
A lot of people have us around 2nd seed in the East, so no.  I think we will be better than Toronto for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Utah, really?

Favors and Trevor Booker; more to the point, they were tied for 7th in team defense.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
A lot of people have us around 2nd seed in the East, so no.  I think we will be better than Toronto for sure.

Judging from previous posts on CB, the consensus seems to be we've been better than Toronto for the past 3 years. Yet, they have been the Atlantic Division Champs every time. They could win it again this year and we would still think we are better.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Utah, really?

Favors and Trevor Booker; more to the point, they were tied for 7th in team defense.

I believe they lost Booker to Brooklyn this offseason.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Utah, really?

I believe they lost Booker to Brooklyn this offseason.

Oh! Oops, missed that.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 09:36:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That's not entirely surprising. We overachieved last year, and the offseason was a mixed bag. Yes, we added Horford, but he's not a franchise altering addition, and going from Sullinger to Horford in the starting lineup is less of an improvement than people think. We also lost Turner and haven't really replaced him effectively. The bench has been largely unreliable so far.

A lot of players on our roster need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Also, we will be on the scouting report this time around. I would expect about the same record as last year, and I don't expect this to be enough for the top 2 seeds. We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:42:43 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
We have a good team.  I  don't know if people are sleeping on us.  I think most people consider us a top 5 team top 10-15 at worst.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I just watched the Open Court again on rerun, and this is who each said will meet in the Conference Finals in the East:

Greg Anthony/Isiah Thomas - New York Knicks (LOL  ::))

Chris Webber - Indiana Pacers

Kevin Mchale - Did mention possibly Boston, but ultimately went with Indiana Pacers (traitor!)

Steve Smith - Indiana Pacers

I just totally disagree with this. They are too focused on the "star" names, as evidenced by two of them legitimately saying the New York Knicks lol Indiana made some decent improvements, but nothing that would put them all the way to number two. That's just crazy talk. Al Horford is twice the addition of Teague, Young, and Jefferson. They're all complementary players at the very best, and that's not to mention a brand new coach with a whole new scheme.

We're going to prove a lot of these talking basketball heads wrong this season. I think many here still don't fully appreciate how good this team really is.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 02:07:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I just watched the Open Court again on rerun, and this is who each said will meet in the Conference Finals in the East:

Greg Anthony/Isiah Thomas - New York Knicks (LOL  ::))

Chris Webber - Indiana Pacers

Kevin Mchale - Did mention possibly Boston, but ultimately went with Indiana Pacers (traitor!)

Steve Smith - Indiana Pacers

I just totally disagree with this. They are too focused on the "star" names, as evidenced by two of them legitimately saying the New York Knicks lol Indiana made some decent improvements, but nothing that would put them all the way to number two. That's just crazy talk. Al Horford is twice the addition of Teague, Young, and Jefferson. They're all complementary players at the very best, and that's not to mention a brand new coach with a whole new scheme.

We're going to prove a lot of these talking basketball heads wrong this season. I think many here still don't fully appreciate how good this team really is.

Say again?? Don't understand.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We are better team , Horford is a huge up grade over fat Sully .  Sully was inconsistent and not reliable for anything but a few rebounds , when his body was in shape enough to lug that mass of fresh down court in a timely manner.   Sully good games were far and few between .

Cavs , GS pack their team with stars . 

Not that we can't beat them in a regular season game , we can , but beat their stars in a playoff we will need another one or two all star types.

If KO , Smart , Rozier play at another level , then needing maybe one more all star will suffice.