Author Topic: Celtics waive Bentil  (Read 4562 times)

Celtics waive Bentil
« on: October 21, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Isn't really surprising, but I didn't see a thread about it. Seems they want to put him with the Red Claws. The Globe suggests that we gave him an unusually high partial guarantee as some sort of a tit-for-tat perhaps.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-release-ex-providence-forward-ben-bentil

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/10/19/celtics-notebook-ben-bentil-ready-work-game-with-league-red-claws/u7tMAgeSPs1WGYbVYJ7qMM/story.html
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Celtics waive Bentil
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yeah, if he's not claimed on waivers, he's ending up in Maine.  The high guarantee will discourage another team from claiming him.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Ainge said he doesn't expect him to end up in Maine as he will look for a situation with more opportunity.  Probably why they released him today instead of waiting until Monday. 

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Noooooooo

Lol. As expected

The guy did well at the collegiate level

At the nba level, undersized, mediocre wingspan , lacks explosiveness and never displayed his body strength to his adv.  Poor handles and didnt even make a 3 it looked like. The last 2nd round pick, nader is better

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This is where Brooklyn will make their bread and butter moves. Picking up the scraps from other teams.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
expected but :(

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
This is where Brooklyn will make their bread and butter moves. Picking up the scraps from other teams.

Yep, but they're going to play said scraps, so that's good for the pick!

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
You mean we just let the next NBA superstar go?!? For NOTHING?!? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, if he's not claimed on waivers, he's ending up in Maine.  The high guarantee will discourage another team from claiming him.
That's not designating for assignment. If he clear waivers, he's free to sign with anyone.

Either way, the front page now says that he will probably look for opportunities elsewhere, so there's that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Noooooooo

Lol. As expected

The guy did well at the collegiate level

At the nba level, undersized, mediocre wingspan , lacks explosiveness and never displayed his body strength to his adv.  Poor handles and didnt even make a 3 it looked like. The last 2nd round pick, nader is better

Disagree about his size. Legit 6'8" with a 7'1.5" wingspan. 230 pounds 8'9" standing reach. Agree in the handles though.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Always a bit of a gamble, see what happens sort of pick. Which was pretty much all Danny could do at that stage. Rosters are rosters though and you can't hold onto everyone. He could be a decent asset for someone one day. I expect he will find an NBA home.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

If I were a GM with roster space, to me this wouldn't discourage me. Just the opposite, with 3 years of non-guarantees (good to have for trades) + the QO at the 4th year it's something I'd love to have in my assets arsenal.

Edit: I'm assuming that non-guaranteed years keep being non-guaranteed correct?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 07:18:01 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Should have stayed in school and developed for another year.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 07:31:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

If I were a GM with roster space, to me this wouldn't discourage me. Just the opposite, with 3 years of non-guarantees (good to have for trades) + the QO at the 4th year it's something I'd love to have in my assets arsenal.

It would discourage me if I weren't sure he'd make the team.  A lot of waiver claims at this time are just to be able to release the player again for D-league rights.  $250k is expensive for that.  Not to mention I could potentially sign him to the same contract but with no guarantee, since he's already got his $250k.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Looks like Kris Dunn is advocating for the Wolves to pick up Bentil, his former college teammate last year.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20161019/Dunn-wants-Bentil