Author Topic: Woj: Celtics offering Young or Hunter for a 2nd  (Read 20870 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics offering Young or Hunter for a 2nd
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
And in all seriousness, I'd cut both of them and go sign Kendrick Perkins for his 6 fouls.  He'll be a better end of bench player than either of these two.

He definitely would, but even if he wasn't, how could it not be great having Perk back?  My brother was witness to his return to Boston -- apparently they played a "thank you" highlight video that fans really appreciated.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2016, 02:52:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That's an easy way to drop Hunter, if that is the plan.  I'm preparing to eat crow.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Seems more realistic we would have to give someone a second round pick to get rid of one of those guys. I like them both but neither really have any real value at this point.

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
bring back perk? goodness gracious, why embarrass the poor guy and disturb all of our nostalgia-laden fantasies?

did you see him play the last season? did you see he stat line for the season?

he
is
cooked...done, over the hill, has a fork protruding, is beyond, beyond his prime.

i have no desire to be forced to watch the corpse of a once beloved player lumber up and down the parquet. i would feel sorry for him and the fans.

no thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Did Danny blow these picks?  No.  Sometimes u hit, sometimes u miss.

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Those top 55 protected pick are pretty sweet.
Yup

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Shocked that Danny doesn't hit on all his picks.

Nobody does.  Danny just landed one of the biggest free agents of the year and his shrewd trading got us an all-star PG and I'm not counting out Rozier or Smart yet.  Hopefully we get a deal done.  2nd round picks aren't important in the grand scheme of things but they help grease wheels for trades.

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Frankly

Danny is a better Pirate than a treasure hunter

Other words

He is better at stealing others richs than finding his own.

I guess it does not matter how you end up with great players ,  just as long as you do.

I'd say MS, TR, KO and JB is looking like a pretty good harvest for his last four top picks.

That is, I think Danny is both a hunter and gatherer.
I'm with you. Ainge comes out looking like a genius picking Rozier at 16.

Drafting Rozier should definitely quiet the Danny Ainge draft critics for a while.

No, it won't quiet his critics.I"ll admit the Rozier pick turned out great. However, I'm still upset Ainge signed Mickey for 4 years when it was painfully obvious he was undersized.

Selecting Yab at 16. Are you kidding? With a lot of quality players on the board and a need for rebounding I'm sure there are going to be a lot of regrets.

Regarding Mickey, do you understand how non-guaranteed contracts work?  He's not signed for four years.  He signed for two.  The following two years he will only stick around if he shows something.  If he doesn't, he can be cut at zero cost, or even traded as salary filler on draft that the other team can cut at zero cost.

Good point about the Mickey signing. I have to admit my opinion of Mickey is clouded by seeing him up close in his first preseason game. My initial impression was, 'you've got to be kidding, he doesn't have the size to play center.'

This year, Danny drafts Yabusele and I'm thinking, 'we need rebounding and size. Why is he repeating the same mistake.' Yeah, I know...he can shoot and he's strong, young and stashable.

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Frankly

Other words

I guess it does not matter how you end up with great players ,  just as long as you do.

I'd say MS, TR, KO and JB is looking like a pretty good harvest for his last four top picks.

Drafting Rozier should definitely quiet the Danny Ainge draft critics for a while.

No, it won't quiet his critics.I"ll admit the Rozier pick turned out great. However, I'm still upset Ainge signed Mickey for 4 years when it was painfully obvious he was undersized.

Selecting Yab at 16. Are you kidding? With a lot of quality players on the board and a need for rebounding I'm sure there are going to be a lot of regrets.

Regarding Mickey, do you understand how non-guaranteed contracts work?  He's not signed for four years.  He signed for two.  The following two years he will only stick around if he shows something.  If he doesn't, he can be cut at zero cost, or even traded as salary filler on draft that the other team can cut at zero cost.

Good point about the Mickey signing. I have to admit my opinion of Mickey is clouded by seeing him up close in his first preseason game. My initial impression was, 'you've got to be kidding, he doesn't have the size to play center.'

This year, Danny drafts Yabusele and I'm thinking, 'we need rebounding and size. Why is he repeating the same mistake.' Yeah, I know...he can shoot and he's strong, young and stashable.
My opinion of Mickey is clouded because I wanted Richaun Holmes who so far seems to be clearly better. 

Ainge did draft Zizic at 23 so he got a big.  It would have looked like less of a reach for Yab if the picks were swapped but maybe Ainge knew of another team interested in Yab earlier than 23.  If Zizic happened to get taken there would have been other bigs available including Zubac. 

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Frankly

Other words

My opinion of Mickey is clouded because I wanted Richaun Holmes who so far seems to be clearly better. 

No he is not

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Frankly

Other words

Ainge did draft Zizic at 23 so he got a big.  It would have looked like less of a reach for Yab if the picks were swapped but maybe Ainge knew of another team interested in Yab earlier than 23.  If Zizic happened to get taken there would have been other bigs available including Zubac.
I believe that is exactly what ainge believed. I read that somewhere,but cannot look up the source right now. But it seemed similar to the situation with rozier.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Frankly

Other words

I believe that is exactly what ainge believed. I read that somewhere,but cannot look up the source right now. But it seemed similar to the situation with rozier.

yes. and Bulls were waiting for Rozier

maybe they thought Celts would take Portis

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ainge has always been more favorable with players that can play small ball, multiple positions, good hard worker, and can shoot or defend.

Since Mickey cannot do neither at the major level, I don't see a point keeping him. But I followed him in D-League, and I firmly believe his shotblocking, and his mid range/3pt shooting will improve which would lead to him having a good solid rotational back up big position, and possibly even a Serge Ibaka starting type of role.

I actually think Mickey has a great skill set in determining when to jump and when not to. He can have a great future if he can just learn how to improve on overall team defense, like providing weak side help defense, and covering the pick and roll instead of being the last line of defense and going for the block. His shooting also needs to improve since he's so undersized, and definitely needs to bulk up.

Anyways, if we're comparing Mickey to Yabusele, I would take Yabusele's skill set over Mickey's anyday. I can see Yabusele having a fine career, and he's built with a strong frame, and really good quickness for his size.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2016, 03:57:32 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
To me the issue is that we want to win this year so we signed Gerald Green. If we traded Young or Hunter at the deadline last year to the Heat for Green have been happy that is the way I look at this problem. If we were not competing to go to finals by getting Horford, Danny would have not signed Green and both these players make the team. So to me it is a trade for Green. I think young will be kept he has more upside and can play better at small ball.
Danny has done great with all his picks. I think Hunter will make and NBA roster sometime this year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
And in all seriousness, I'd cut both of them and go sign Kendrick Perkins for his 6 fouls.  He'll be a better end of bench player than either of these two.

Makes sense to me.

Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt