Author Topic: Woj: Celtics offering Young or Hunter for a 2nd  (Read 20946 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics offering Young or Hunter for a 2nd
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Would prefer to keep Young instead of a 2nd round pick. He's still only 21. And even if his deal is expiring, I can't imagine him making much.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I said it before offer both to highest bidder. A team should bite. We might see both traded considering Smart and Brown can play SG.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
It seems unreal that teams aren't willing to basically trade for one of these players for free. I guarantee Danny isn't asking for anything in return for these guys, only like a top-55 protected 2nd, which will probably never even convert over to us.

I can't believe even Philly wouldn't want one of the two young shooters, unless he's asking for a bigger deal from Philly due to our context with them.

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
What a failure.  Holds onto these draft picks like they're gold.   Drafts guys that will need to play to develop then has to cut them because he didn't have enough playing time for them and has made too many picks.   assets.

Disagree. It is all about option value.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
This guy Danny just never ceases to amaze me with his pick hording ways... Like seriously dude, you might as well give them away for an iced coffee.

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
What a failure.  Holds onto these draft picks like they're gold.   Drafts guys that will need to play to develop then has to cut them because he didn't have enough playing time for them and has made too many picks.   assets.

Or because they're just not that good.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we are hearing it in the media, I think it's because they haven't been able to get a 2nd for either guy.

Not really sure where either is a fit, maybe New Orleans or Philadelphia.

If teams know they are going to cut one then why not just wait?
On the off chance a team wanted to make sure they are the ones that get Hunter or Young they may want to make a trade :P

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Preseason stats:

Hunter: 14.3 MPG .444/.304/.769  7 pts/1.9 FTA/1.4 reb/1.6 ast/.1 blk/.9 stl/1 PF/1.1 TO
Young:  17 MPG    .438/.353/.714 5.6 pts/1 FTA/3.6 reb/1 ast/.1 blk/.6 stl/1.7 PF/1.3 TO

Hunter lacks toughness on defense but i think is the better all-around player. He seems more like a legit baller to me than young, if he started hitting 3's the way we think he could, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Young is a little more physical, and is a couple years younger. His skills are limited though IMO, even in Maine he played beneath the rim, struggled driving to the basket, and wasn't much of a playmaker.

I would lean towards keeping Hunter. He just understands the game better. I have to think his shot will start falling.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Yep. Keep Hunter. Young is gone IMO. Should've been Rodney Hood.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I d be shocked if they can get anything for either .

They suck

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
When is deadline for the decision?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
If we are hearing it in the media, I think it's because they haven't been able to get a 2nd for either guy.

On the off chance a team wanted to make sure they are the ones that get Hunter or Young they may want to make a trade :P

There are several reasons teams might want to trade for Young/Hunter.

If multiple teams place a claim on a waived player, worst record gets the player. So if the Warriors wanted Hunter/Young, they'd be at severe risk of getting beaten by a lesser team in the waiver process due to their good record.

Teams that are over the cap can't claim these guys on waivers. They risk losing them to teams that are under the cap, unless they have a trade exception instead.

And if Young/Hunter clear waivers, a team that is over the cap also has no cap space to sign them for more than a minimum deal unless they want to use a mid-level exception etc.

per the CBA:
A team can claim a player on waivers only if one of the following is true:

- The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.
- The team has a Disabled Player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 25), and the player is on the last season of his contract.
- The team has a trade exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 85).
- The player has a minimum salary contract (one or two seasons at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind).

If a team makes a successful waiver claim, it acquires the player and his existing contract, and pays the remainder of his salary -- the waiving team is relieved of all responsibility for the player. There is a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a player on waivers. If more than one team tries to claim a player on waivers, the team with the worst record gets him.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Keep Hunter....Higher BBIQ than Young.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
When is deadline for the decision?
The deadline to get down to 15 players is Monday.  Not expecting it but if some team releases a decent bench big I wouldn't be surprised if both Young and Hunter get cut. 

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

There are several reasons teams might want to trade for Young/Hunter.

If multiple teams place a claim on a waived player, worst record gets the player. So if the Warriors wanted Hunter/Young, they'd be at severe risk of getting beaten by a lesser team in the waiver process due to their good record.

Teams that are over the cap can't claim these guys on waivers. They risk losing them to teams that are under the cap, unless they have a trade exception instead.

And if Young/Hunter clear waivers, a team that is over the cap also has no cap space to sign them for more than a minimum deal unless they want to use a mid-level exception etc.

per the CBA:
A team can claim a player on waivers only if one of the following is true:

- The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.
- The team has a Disabled Player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 25), and the player is on the last season of his contract.
- The team has a trade exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 85).
- The player has a minimum salary contract (one or two seasons at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind).

If a team makes a successful waiver claim, it acquires the player and his existing contract, and pays the remainder of his salary -- the waiving team is relieved of all responsibility for the player. There is a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a player on waivers. If more than one team tries to claim a player on waivers, the team with the worst record gets him.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65
We're talking Young and Hunter here.  Who in their right mind would offer them more than minimum?