Author Topic: New CBA analysis and how it would affect the Celtics  (Read 1012 times)

New CBA analysis and how it would affect the Celtics
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Re: New CBA analysis and how it would affect the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
TP for the article!

Wow the RFA changes are horrible for us..

That probably means KO is definitely gone unless Ainge has no faith he can land a max-player in the off season. Extending KO only means the C's have cap space.. but not enough for a max-slot.

Question: If the Celtics use Isaiah's bird rights in 2018 to keep him, will it not count against their cap space for the duration of IT's contract or just the first year? Sorry for sounding clueless I'm not a cap-expert, but keeping IT should be a big "to-do list" as well, because he's a great #2 piece (legitimate scorer) on a championship team, has the "celtics pride" in him... and is our biggest and best recruiter (got Horford.. and almost KD). He loves Boston and we love him too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP for the read
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'll wait till the cba is official.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
TP for the article!

Wow the RFA changes are horrible for us..

That probably means KO is definitely gone unless Ainge has no faith he can land a max-player in the off season. Extending KO only means the C's have cap space.. but not enough for a max-slot.

Question: If the Celtics use Isaiah's bird rights in 2018 to keep him, will it not count against their cap space for the duration of IT's contract or just the first year? Sorry for sounding clueless I'm not a cap-expert, but keeping IT should be a big "to-do list" as well, because he's a great #2 piece (legitimate scorer) on a championship team, has the "celtics pride" in him... and is our biggest and best recruiter (got Horford.. and almost KD). He loves Boston and we love him too.
As far as K.O. goes I don't think it makes any difference to the Celtics because there is no way they are ever going to let him walk for nothing.  He will receive a qualifying offer and if the C's need max space to sign someone it will be done by trading most likely Bradley, but could possibly be I.T., Crowder, next years draft pick, etc. depending on circumstance.  Allowing assets to walk for nothing is terrible business.  Extending K.O. was never an option because (unless his agent is an idiot) the amount required to extend him would wipe out any realistic chance at creating a max cap slot next off season.