Author Topic: Can we even get NO to pick up the phone?  (Read 2890 times)

Can we even get NO to pick up the phone?
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So I had the idea in the "build super teams thread" of basically just adding AD to make the Celtics great. Obviously this is unrealistic since who would trade AD right? But I got to thinking; is there actually any offer for AD that we could offer that would bring them to the negotiating table?

Say we offered Smart, Crowder and the Nets 17 and Nets 18 picks. Would that get them to at least consider moving AD?

I assume it would have to be near the deadline, and the Nets would have to show they are hot garbage again.

For us a lineup of IT/Bradley/Brown/AD/Horford would be insanely good. Granted our weakest spot on the roster would be SF, but I think Crowder would need to be in the deal. Also we could kind of hope that Brown keeps getting to the line in that lineup with 4 other shooters.

My gut tells me that they would never move AD regardless of the package. I was just curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter. Is my gut right? Or do you think there is a way to get them to the table?
#JKJB

Re: Can we even get NO to pick up the phone?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Not at this time. No chance. But a lot can change in a year or so.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
So I had the idea in the "build super teams thread" of basically just adding AD to make the Celtics great. Obviously this is unrealistic since who would trade AD right? But I got to thinking; is there actually any offer for AD that we could offer that would bring them to the negotiating table?

Say we offered Smart, Crowder and the Nets 17 and Nets 18 picks. Would that get them to at least consider moving AD?

I assume it would have to be near the deadline, and the Nets would have to show they are hot garbage again.

For us a lineup of IT/Bradley/Brown/AD/Horford would be insanely good. Granted our weakest spot on the roster would be SF, but I think Crowder would need to be in the deal. Also we could kind of hope that Brown keeps getting to the line in that lineup with 4 other shooters.

My gut tells me that they would never move AD regardless of the package. I was just curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter. Is my gut right? Or do you think there is a way to get them to the table?

I would do that deal in a heartbeat, which means that we would probably need to increase it.

I agree with gift; it's way too early. But there is time.

Now, let's really get you salivating: Pick up AD in that trade and sign Hayward in the offseason.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 11:36:27 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
I guess a better way to think about it is, pretend you are NO.

What does it take for you to entertain an AD deal? Is boston one of the best teams in the league to make a deal with?
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'd give Smart, Brown, both Nets picks and fillers for AD. Sure, NO would be giving up a future hall of famer, but if they can sell their fans on the idea of netting four potential all-star caliber talents, it's not that bad an idea.

Then we can roll out IT/Bradley/Crowder/Horford/AD but without a deep bench like we currently have.

I think Ainge, with some cap space, can fill out the roster and make #18 not only a goal, but a realistic one.

Unfortunately, nothing is happening. Nice dream though.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Noooooooooooooope.

The Pelicans are one of the franchises in the league that is still working to build credibility with its fanbase.  They absolutely cannot entertain trading AD until there is one year left on his deal and it's clear he is going to walk.  They have to try and build a core group that can make the playoffs for a few years and get people feeling good about what they've got going.

AD is a top 10 player, and a potential MVP candidate if he can stay healthy and his team is good enough to compete for 50 wins.  He's untradeable for now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Noooooooooooooope.

The Pelicans are one of the franchises in the league that is still working to build credibility with its fanbase.  They absolutely cannot entertain trading AD until there is one year left on his deal and it's clear he is going to walk.  They have to try and build a core group that can make the playoffs for a few years and get people feeling good about what they've got going.

AD is a top 10 player, and a potential MVP candidate if he can stay healthy and his team is good enough to compete for 50 wins.  He's untradeable for now.

Yea this is basically where I stand also. It is just kind of sad to watch them fail at putting anything decent around such a great talent.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only way on Earth that phone call lasts more than 10 seconds is if they have some sort of internal knowledge that he wants to leave NO, and if that were the case I think they'd have a lot of calls with lots of teams

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Would take something like IT, Crowder, JJ and AJ for Holiday and AD. Stars for stars.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Brown jumps into the starting lineup and makes the All-Star team, then the Celtics might have enough to put together a package for Davis at the trade deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If I'm NO, I start with (in this order): Both Brooklyn picks, Jaylen Brown, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, and Avery Bradley. Would you do that if you are Danny?

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I agree.... in order for NO to even consider offers ,  they would have to have some notion he wants to leave .

He is like Boogie,  untol he is either injuries,  defies all authority , or he WANTS out publicly like Noel, then I feel neither has the slightest chance of leaving

They are crowd draws , money makers for losing teams.

It's the Howard situation of Orlando .....the owners will do everything possible not to lose their bigs .

It would seriously take everything good we got in assets to even make them think of a trade.

For guys like Boogie and Davis it's a waiting game ......up to them to finally get tired of no playoffs and no ring .

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Davis has 4 years left with a 5th year player option.  He isn't going anywhere.  If he would come to market, I don't think we'd even be in the running.  If I'm the Cavs, I offer Irving and Love for Davis and salary match (Holiday or Evans).  The Sixers offer could be Simmons, Okafor, Lakers 1st and Kings 1st (without pulling in some of their own picks).   

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
U have way to much time on your hands 

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
U have way to much time on your hands

Good thread contribution.
#JKJB