Poll

Not would the Wolves do it. Would you trade Smart for Lavine if possible

Yes. Kid can Score.
31 (40.8%)
No. Defensive wins.
45 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Smart for Lavine  (Read 6961 times)

Poll: Would you trade Smart for Lavine
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:54:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Lavine is one of the only players from that class that was potentially better than Smart.

For the Brown doubters Lavine only Avg 9 ppg in his only college season. At 20 years old in the NBA he went for 14 ppg 3rpg 3apg on .452% .390% .783% shooting.

Smart would really help a core if Town's,Wiggins, Dunn, Rubio, Dieng

If Rozier is as good as everyone thinks it really softens the loss of Smart.

Imagine a future lineup of

Rozier
 Lavine
 Jaylen Brown

Now That's athleticism.

Re: Poll: Would you trade Smart for Lavine
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Definitly a trade to seriously consider.
Both young up and coming players, guards on sustainable and controlable contracts.
I'd say both are worth more to their current teams than perhaps elsewhere.

Lavine really lacks the intangibles that Smart has.
Generaly the awerness of the situation and quick reaction time, basketball IQ, even playmaking. Smart has that 1/4 swichy defense, while Lavine is a minus defender to say the least.

On the other hand Lavine is a scorer. No doubt about it. He is the new JR or GG, v3.0. Olimpian like uberathlete, can hit 5 threes in a hurry. Doesn't have a concience regarding his usage or shot atemps. He is what we need. Fast, young and a shooter.
With Smarts questionable durability (may be in coleration with him or Celts not defining his optimal playing weight) and shooting that looks about 4 years away from being acceptable, it could be a good trade for us.
I still think that Minny wouldn't have the courage to do it before the Rubio trade and Celts stay put not wanting to mess up the chemistry. Also worth noting is that Smarts injuries might drop his value, something Danny will gladly exploit come extension time talks.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 07:47:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yes, but Minnesota wouldn't.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Not sure. Lavine is a chucker who has tunnel vision on offense, which is why they stopped playing him at the 1. Defensively, he's not that good. His off the charts athleticism would make you think that at the very least he would be active in the passing lanes, since he gets lost off the ball and easily allows penetration while on it. However, his 0.8 spg in a healthy 28 mpg suggest he's pretty inferior in that area as well.

So the question becomes who has more potential on a contending team, and not just put up numbers on a lottery team, Smart or Lavine? Can Lavine change his game and be willing to get others involved and do the little things defensively? Can Smart improve his perimeter shooting to the point that teams have to genuinely respect him?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:01:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Sometimes I feel like Cs fans don't deserve the players in front of them. We have a team out there who competes every night, grows together and wins. Yet every day there is a new trade thread of X Celtic for Y in a lateral trade that really does nothing.

Lavine is not an upgrade on Smart. Nor does he add something new to this team. His athleticism is not an addition to the team, it is solely a plus for the spectator. Smart does things that others on the team can't. Could IT guard KP? Could Bradley? I laugh thinking about Lavine doing it.

Lavine can sometimes score, but IT does it more consistently as does Bradley so what are you adding?

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Tough one. I lean more towards Smart over LaVine. Hard decision though.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lavine is a much better offensive player.  His TS% last year was 54.8 (Smart 46.3).  Lavine is a much better passer last year AST% 18.6 (Smart 15.8 ).  Smart is definitely a better defender.  I'd make the trade, because Boston's offense in the 2nd unit absolutely needs someone that can create a shot and consistently hit the deep ball.  That is Lavine.  I think he has a chance to be a really special offensive player and he isn't a terrible defender.  Smart can obviously be a special defensive player, but wings who are that without offensive are role players and I'm just not sure how much Smart can grow offensively.

Minnesota won't make the trade because they have Rubio who is awful offensively (and Wiggins who isn't much of a shooter) and thus adding Smart to that team doesn't make sense at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think LaVine's trade value is higher than Smart's.  I don't think Minny would do it except if Thibs is really high on Smart.  I'm not a big fan of Smart but he fits what we're trying to do better and, at least at this point, would contribute more toward a run in the playoffs.  The team that could really use LaVine is the Sixers.  They need the offense and Lavine should fit well with Simmons and Embiid.  Maybe a 3-way trade like this: 

Sixers:  LaVine
TWolves:   Smart and Clips 1st
Celtics:  Noel and Covington

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I lean toward "of course" because Lavine has 20+ ppg potential with a great three point stroke.  He has good size for a guard and has the tools to become a solid defender.

On the other hand, if Lavine never makes that leap and remains a 14-15 ppg scorer with below average defense, the question then becomes whether or not Smart's defense, particularly the forced turnovers, are worth the 4-5 point per game / scoring efficiency gap.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wow. You normally don't see CB polls so close. This trade may make some sense. Thibs would absolutely love Smart.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Nope. Smart is special defensively. I haven't seen much out of Lavine, besides the slam dunk competition. I think big impact defensive players are underrated. Smart's offensive game isn't doomed- he's still very young. I like Smart for his hustle, and want him around on this gritty team for years to come.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yep. Minnesota hangs up though.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Lavine is a much better offensive player.  His TS% last year was 54.8 (Smart 46.3).  Lavine is a much better passer last year AST% 18.6 (Smart 15.8 ).  Smart is definitely a better defender.  I'd make the trade, because Boston's offense in the 2nd unit absolutely needs someone that can create a shot and consistently hit the deep ball.  That is Lavine.  I think he has a chance to be a really special offensive player and he isn't a terrible defender.  Smart can obviously be a special defensive player, but wings who are that without offensive are role players and I'm just not sure how much Smart can grow offensively.

Minnesota won't make the trade because they have Rubio who is awful offensively (and Wiggins who isn't much of a shooter) and thus adding Smart to that team doesn't make sense at all.

Levine is a terrible defender.

His defense is probably worse than Smarts offense.

He is completely clueless on that end of the floor.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
This is a trade neither GM would want to make since it could easily backfire both ways. Smart does so many great things other then scoring and Levine has the potential to be a 40 percent three point shooter who can absolutely finish at the rim. So does Smart end up fixing his shot and becoming one of the best all around players in the league or does Levine go on to be an all star. Could be both.

If I was the GM I would hold onto my player for both teams and not risk a mistake.

Great post and question tho. I would love to look back 2-3 years on this thread and see how accurate some people were.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd do it because team has Rozier to back up IT. You can slot LaVine behind AB. Depth chart

IT/Rozier/LaVine
AB/LaVine/Brown
Crowder/Green/Brown
AJ/KO/JJ/Mickey
Hordeford/KO/Zeller/Mickey

LaVine is Turner with better athleticism and shooting making him a legit six man candidate