Author Topic: Do you need to shoot the three to "Space" the floor  (Read 4506 times)

Do you need to shoot the three to "Space" the floor
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I say no you don't. You just need a deep two point shot that's respectable. Case in point Smart's one outstanding drive from one step inside the three point line on the baseline last game.

It's the stupidest thing in the world watching Smart jack three's at the rate he does. First develop A reliable 16 footer and work back from there.

The drive I am talking about is around 1:21 seconds in the highlight reel.

https://youtu.be/yC88n5K44XE

Re: Do you need to shoot the three to "Space" the floor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:50:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You only need ball movement and guys good enough to beat their man off the drive. In the past 3 point shooting for spacing wasn't as important as drive. Even an inside weave via two cutters and a postman would leave a man open for a easy 14 foot shot or a layup. The inside game has fallen due to the lack of skilled bigs. Also miss those poster dunks thanks to those openings. Now we get cheer leading walk away threes as posters yuck.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Only in this 3pt chucking era.  They didn't have problems with spacing in the Bird/Magic era.  They actually could play two big men together and be quite effective offensively.  I'd say trying to turn Sully into a 3pt shooter when his best attribute is offensive rebounding was the stupidest thing.  Smart jacking 3s is probably a close 2nd. 

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
You only need ball movement and guys good enough to beat their man off the drive. In the past 3 point shooting for spacing wasn't as important as drive. Even an inside weave via two cutters and a postman would leave a man open for a easy 14 foot shot or a layup. The inside game has fallen due to the lack of skilled bigs. Also miss those poster dunks thanks to those openings. Now we get cheer leading walk away threes as posters yuck.

You can't be strictly a slasher though. If you can't shoot at all the defender can just pull the Rondo defense and back way off.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

You can't be strictly a slasher though. If you can't shoot at all the defender can just pull the Rondo defense and back way off.
Depends AI wasn't a 3pt shooter he had some very bad years shooting in general. But he could beat anyone off the dribble.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:23 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Only in this 3pt chucking era.  They didn't have problems with spacing in the Bird/Magic era.  They actually could play two big men together and be quite effective offensively. 

Sure.  However, you also had illegal defense calls which prevented teams from packing the paint.  The switch to the defensive three second call, when defensive coaches like Thibs realized its full potential, made the Bird/Magic era game you are nostalgic for impossible. 

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Only in this 3pt chucking era.  They didn't have problems with spacing in the Bird/Magic era.  They actually could play two big men together and be quite effective offensively.  I'd say trying to turn Sully into a 3pt shooter when his best attribute is offensive rebounding was the stupidest thing.  Smart jacking 3s is probably a close 2nd.

The game has changed.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Depends AI wasn't a 3pt shooter he had some very bad years shooting in general. But he could beat anyone off the dribble.

Iverson Justs further proves my point. Not a three point shooter unless he was hot, but a reliable mid range shooter for sure.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:26 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

The game has changed.

Yes.  I love 80s basketball.  Yet, the last several years have been some of the most fun NBA basketball I've ever watched. 

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Iverson Justs further proves my point. Not a three point shooter unless he was hot, but a reliable mid range shooter for sure.
Other than the curl and big man spot ups BS doesn't really use mid range shots in his system.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:56:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

The rules have kind of changed a lot since then.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

If you think Smart is part of the future, then you want him to be able to hit 3's. It is a goal. Whether it happens or not, who knows. It just clicked for Horford in his 9th year. Hopefully it happens sooner for Smart. Do I want him as a top 3 option as a 3pt shooter in a clutch situation? Prob not. I do want him on the floor to make a key steal, however.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

If you think Smart is part of the future, then you want him to be able to hit 3's. It is a goal. Whether it happens or not, who knows. It just clicked for Horford in his 9th year. Hopefully it happens sooner for Smart. Do I want him as a top 3 option as a 3pt shooter in a clutch situation? Prob not. I do want him on the floor to make a key steal, however.
Before last season, the most 3pt shots Horford took was 0.5.  So if he was trying to develop his 3pt shot it was during practice.  Smart taking 1 or 2 a game is okay but not 4 or 5 until he shows some progress. 

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 03:24:56 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yes, you need 3's. Defenses want you to take long 2's. It is also easy to rotate to guys inside the 3pt line and it is easy for defenders to collapse the lane if they don't have to respect their man standing on the 3pt line.

What does spacing mean? It means getting defenders away from your teammates so the defense can't help without risking you getting an open shot.

The lack of big man in the paint is not due to a lack of skill. It is due the lane being packed due to the modern rules and defensive strategies.

Due to the focus of defenses on clogging the lane and running guys off the 3pt line, there are a lot of opportunities for guys who can bury the inefficient midrange shot efficiently since that is what teams give up. But since 33% from 3 is as efficient as 50% from 2, you have to be darn good from 2 before you can really space the floor from 2.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Of course, not you could shoot contested ones but that would not be wise.