Author Topic: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?  (Read 8982 times)

Re: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NBA 2K doesn't even have him as a lockdown defender ahaha!

**** well lock it up dude!  They have Curry better on defense.  Their ratings are a joke.

Lol

Irving did a number on Curry

Curry is an overrated D. Cheats to try to get steals

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

**** well lock it up dude!  They have Curry better on defense.  Their ratings are a joke.

Lol

He plays off the team D, gambles and gets steals.  That's all he does on defense at all and people say he's good.   It's a joke to me.   It's why I don't trust like 90% of people's opinion's on defense or the All-Defense teams or anything.

Smart is an unreal defender.  The best thing about him is he doesn't gamble much and he STILL gets the steals.  IMO he's the best on our team but Bradley and Crowder are both elite, and Horford and Amir are both very great as well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Curry was a league leader in steals, so it's not so outrageous for his defensive ratings to be good.

Smart is an excellent defender in 2k who regularly will generate steals without the player even trying to steal the ball.  Just because he doesn't have the lockdown symbol doesn't mean he's effective.

You have to actually use a player in 2K and see if their abilities and production in the game match what you see in real life.  Smart generally fits the bill on both ends.

Smart is still good in the game, but as far as steals go, the league leader in steals is often very much not that great of a defender.  You never could have told me AI was some amazing defender either when he was leading the league.  Better than Curry but still.  Steals are very misleading.  Blocks can be as well.  You often take yourself out of position to get either one.

Similar to how Rondo used to be overrated on the Celtics too.

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lol

He plays off the team D, gambles and gets steals.  That's all he does on defense at all and people say he's good.   It's a joke to me.   It's why I don't trust like 90% of people's opinion's on defense or the All-Defense teams or anything.

Smart is an unreal defender.

Exactly. Same as AB , Tony Allen, Leonard

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Curry was a league leader in steals, so it's not so outrageous for his defensive ratings to be good.

Smart is an excellent defender in 2k who regularly will generate steals without the player even trying to steal the ball.  Just because he doesn't have the lockdown symbol doesn't mean he's effective.

You have to actually use a player in 2K and see if their abilities and production in the game match what you see in real life.  Smart generally fits the bill on both ends.

He does have a good rating, but you guys act like he's an elite defender. Also the game overall has Crowder and Bradley at a higher defensive rating...So again, you guys act like he is all world defender. And I do play with the Celtics so I've played with him. He's actually pretty good in 2K. It's not hard to keep his FG% high.

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Lol

Smart is an unreal defender.  The best thing about him is he doesn't gamble much and he STILL gets the steals.  IMO he's the best on our team but Bradley and Crowder are both elite, and Horford and Amir are both very great as well.

Look I'm just messing with the Smart lovers on this board in regards to his defense. I think he's better than Bradley. I've seen Bradley struggle against a taller Harden and then Smart starts guarding him and shuts him down.

IMO Smart is a top 5 one on one defender in this league. But ultimately players who can only play defense are role players at best. That's just the facts. I'm assuming you think he will improve on offense. I personally don't see him getting much better because his lack of first step to get to the rim, or the vertical to finish around the rim.

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Rozier's outstanding preseason and summer league performances show the postseason experience is paying off.  I do think he will play, a backup role, to Isaiah, just like Smart did last year, so around 27 minutes.  Isaiah won't be affected this year or after resigning.  If after Rozier overtakes or equals Isaiah then moving on would be beneficial. But if my intuition holds true, Isaiah in couple years, not as athletic and therefore defensively liable, is forced into the sixth man role.  Now, the salary cap may interrupt that logic, so it will depend on the contract signed after this year.  Most don't agree with his sixth man fit now he is our superstar but I suspect that Ainge  had him in mind for just that.

He's not getting 27 minutes a game. He'll be lucky to even get 20. There's just not the minutes there for him,and he's hardly even a defensive upgrade over IT.

People are just overreacting to an early preseason performance once again. It happens every year on a number of teams across the league. When the season starts, he'll come back down to Earth, and all of this will seem like exaggerated ridiculousness like it always does.

Terry has been good, but people are really exaggerating and reaching with some of this Rozier stuff.

He played better than Smart this preseason. How about tubby learns how to make an open 3 before you compare him to Rozier.

How about Rozier actually earns and plays serious minutes in the regular season before comparing him to Smart?  ::) See how that works?

I find it hilarious that you keep hyping a player who hasn't even earned significant minutes in a real NBA season yet lol

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Lol

TP. Totally agree with all of this. Smart's defense, especially team defense, is just absolutely spectacular. He's hardly out of position, and he's generally good about not gambling. Bradley is without a doubt the best on-ball perimeter defender in the NBA, but his team defense isn't always the greatest. He's the classic "ball hawk" and guy you'd put as the one in a "box and one" defensive philosophy. I also think Crowder is a bit overhyped defensively, but he's still really, really good, especially with his versatility at the forward position.

As for Curry, totally agree. He's more a product of the system than anything. I would say at best he's maybe a bit better than average defensively in his own right.

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

He does have a good rating, but you guys act like he's an elite defender. Also the game overall has Crowder and Bradley at a higher defensive rating...So again, you guys act like he is all world defender. And I do play with the Celtics so I've played with him. He's actually pretty good in 2K. It's not hard to keep his FG% high.

I haven't played 2k since 2012, but I don't really remember how much the defensive rating impacts the play of the game. Perhaps it's changed quite a bit since then.

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Rozier's outstanding preseason and summer league performances show the postseason experience is paying off.  I do think he will play, a backup role, to Isaiah, just like Smart did last year, so around 27 minutes.  Isaiah won't be affected this year or after resigning.  If after Rozier overtakes or equals Isaiah then moving on would be beneficial. But if my intuition holds true, Isaiah in couple years, not as athletic and therefore defensively liable, is forced into the sixth man role.  Now, the salary cap may interrupt that logic, so it will depend on the contract signed after this year.  Most don't agree with his sixth man fit now he is our superstar but I suspect that Ainge  had him in mind for just that.

He's not getting 27 minutes a game. He'll be lucky to even get 20. There's just not the minutes there for him,and he's hardly even a defensive upgrade over IT.

People are just overreacting to an early preseason performance once again. It happens every year on a number of teams across the league. When the season starts, he'll come back down to Earth, and all of this will seem like exaggerated ridiculousness like it always does.

Terry has been good, but people are really exaggerating and reaching with some of this Rozier stuff.

He played better than Smart this preseason. How about tubby learns how to make an open 3 before you compare him to Rozier.

How about Rozier actually earns and plays serious minutes in the regular season before comparing him to Smart?  ::) See how that works?

I find it hilarious that you keep hyping a player who hasn't even earned significant minutes in a real NBA season yet lol

How am I hyping him up? You're the one claiming everyone thinks Rozier is a star. It's just plainly obvious Smart is Tony Allen. It's kind of ridiculous that you think it's hard for a player to leapfrog a role player. I mean can you provide any evidence Smart is more than Tony Allen right now? Or can you explain his garbage summer league stats?

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I haven't played 2k since 2012, but I don't really remember how much the defensive rating impacts the play of the game. Perhaps it's changed quite a bit since then.

2K is not a good base to use when evaluating players. I only made that comment to have some fun. And defensive rating as well as the badges a player has actually can make a big impact. If you are a lockdown defender for example, it makes a pretty significant difference when guarding someone. 

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
I understand that I'm coming off as a Smart hater. I don't hate him. How can you hate a player who plays that hard? I love the guys intangibles. The only reason I criticize him so much is because he doesn't get enough heat from the media or fans. I personally have been really disappointed with his development. How can someone argue against that? Do you want me to relink you guys to what our initial projections for Smart were when we drafted him? Not many thought he would be this bad. So excuse me if I have to point out a clear flaw I see. The guy should lose some weight. He's not fat, but he should be at least 6% body fat. He was 10% I believe in the combine. That's not elite. I'm sure Smart would be fine in New Orleans, but this is Boston. We want the best players and we are supposed to be honest in our evaluations. That's why this town wins rings. Smart needs to get better, or he is going to get leapfrogged by a better player. To me, it is so clear that Rozier is going to be better. Yes Rozier hasn't proven it in an NbA game, but that's why there are forums. So we can project and have a discussion. I like to show off my scouting ability. Sue me.

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

How am I hyping him up? You're the one claiming everyone thinks Rozier is a star. It's just plainly obvious Smart is Tony Allen. It's kind of ridiculous that you think it's hard for a player to leapfrog a role player. I mean can you provide any evidence Smart is more than Tony Allen right now? Or can you explain his garbage summer league stats?

You can't label someone's career arc after two seasons of him playing out of position as an off-the-ball shooter. With the absence of Turner, the second unit now being Smart's to lead as the primary ball-handler, and the fact that most young players finally come into their own in the third season, this season will be a much more evaluative season for him due to allowing him to excel (or fail) in his ideal position. We've already seen how much better he is as an overall player in this role (outside of shooting).

Unless something catastrophic happens, this season will largely determine his likely career arc as either a potential star or a role player in this league. You just simply can't really gauge Smart's ultimate ceiling off of the last two years. That'd be like playing IT as our defensive stopper and then judging his ceiling off of that ability.

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Dude wow please stop using a videogame as part of your argument.

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
I'm just excited for the season to start.  I think you really have to have not watched Smart play at all in the preseason to think his game hasn't hugely improved in all areas outside of three point shooting.  His playmaking and floor vision looked great, he looked very improved off the pick and roll, his pull up in the midrange was a real threat, and he showed off nice floaters and was more aggressive into the paint.  This is not Tony Allen we are dealing with here.