Author Topic: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?  (Read 9005 times)

Re: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I think for the time being we should be wondering how much he will affect the future of Marcus Smart.

At just the right time, Rozier will get some serious minutes while Marcus recovers. He isn't quite the defensive monster Smart is, but he's clearly a plus defender, he's a great rebounder, and he makes shots consistently, something Marcus just hasn't proven he can do.

I expect to see Rozier averaging double figures while he's gone. They may end up switching spots on the depth chart.

This is the correct answer. Terry has no impact on Isaiah for the foreseeable future. Marcus is the one who will be impacted by Terry's emergence.

This. TP.

Especially if he performs with Smart out.

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I still see Rozier more as a small guard NOT a point guard/passer.

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Rozier's outstanding preseason and summer league performances show the postseason experience is paying off.  I do think he will play, a backup role, to Isaiah, just like Smart did last year, so around 27 minutes.  Isaiah won't be affected this year or after resigning.  If after Rozier overtakes or equals Isaiah then moving on would be beneficial. But if my intuition holds true, Isaiah in couple years, not as athletic and therefore defensively liable, is forced into the sixth man role.  Now, the salary cap may interrupt that logic, so it will depend on the contract signed after this year.  Most don't agree with his sixth man fit now he is our superstar but I suspect that Ainge  had him in mind for just that.

He's not getting 27 minutes a game. He'll be lucky to even get 20. There's just not the minutes there for him,and he's hardly even a defensive upgrade over IT.

People are just overreacting to an early preseason performance once again. It happens every year on a number of teams across the league. When the season starts, he'll come back down to Earth, and all of this will seem like exaggerated ridiculousness like it always does.

Terry has been good, but people are really exaggerating and reaching with some of this Rozier stuff.

He played better than Smart this preseason. How about tubby learns how to make an open 3 before you compare him to Rozier.

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Are we talking preseason here?
Those are big words for a guy who has done jack skat in a season or better yet post-season game.......

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:12 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Yeah IT doesn't need to worry at all. Seriously read Lowe's latest article with the standings tiers. He basically says Bradley is more likely to be traded when their contract is up. It fills a glaring weakness on the Celtics. So does Rozier... Smart on the other hand doesn't. We already have a bunch of Tony Allens. The Celtics need talent. Potential all stars, not a chubby role player who keeps getting hurt.

Honestly, I just like making fun of Smart because he is so overhyped on this board. Snakehead thinks he's a future star. I mean the only thing people throw at me is his plus and minus, but they disregard every other stat haha. This whole lovefest reminds me of Rondo.

Like I've been saying since last year, Smart aka Tubby better watch his back because Rozier is right behind waiting to take a leap over him and we as Celtics fans should be excited at the prospect of that happening.

Also, Rozier played like the 4th quarter only last preseason. He was playing against scrubs, not the case this year. Lame argument by the Smart lovers.

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Those are big words for a guy who has done jack skat in a season or better yet post-season game.......

What has Smart done on the offensive end? He's one of the worst statistical players on that end. His defense is also overrated. NBA 2K doesn't even have him as a lockdown defender ahaha! Can the guy make an All defensive team first? I mean there are three teams he could make. It's not the hardest thing in the world.

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

What has Smart done on the offensive end? He's one of the worst statistical players on that end. His defense is also overrated. NBA 2K doesn't even have him as a lockdown defender ahaha! Can the guy make an All defensive team first? I mean there are three teams he could make. It's not the hardest thing in the world.

Two words: Fan Favorite

you usually fall under that category diving for loose balls, putting yourself in harms way, etc. But Smart does have talent, I just don't know if it's 27 mins a game type of talent.

I think playing with Turner protected him from being exposed at the PG spot, and he ended up being exposed at the 2 spot. I feel people think he is more than what he's shown. His shot selection could have improved and is still a good body to have out there due to the switching off screens in the modern game but I still feel his dribbling is still loose, he utilizes screens well but can't beat anyone off the dribble. I do like that he can defend but to think he can consistently guard the 1-4 is simply not true...

I play ball a little bit and noticed that it's hard to dance on Smart because he has great instincts, and posting him up is a challenge if you were Tyler Zeller or some other soft plush doll but guys at that spot could really just shoot over him since he doesn't really jump that high. As per Basketball-reference he only spent 1% of his minutes at the SF spot, so this "defensive versatility" narrative should have the added foot-note of "when applicable".

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This thread pretends that Rozier is a factor on IT getting resigned here.

Rozier has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Rozier could fall off the map completely and it wouldn't change the fact that IT is not resigning here.

It's not a matter of player contributions, it comes down to philosophy.  Danny is not going to match what other teams will be offering IT.

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

you usually fall under that category diving for loose balls, putting yourself in harms way, etc. But Smart does have talent, I just don't know if it's 27 mins a game type of talent.

I think playing with Turner protected him from being exposed at the PG spot, and he ended up being exposed at the 2 spot. I feel people think he is more than what he's shown. His shot selection could have improved and is still a good body to have out there due to the switching off screens in the modern game but I still feel his dribbling is still loose, he utilizes screens well but can't beat anyone off the dribble. I do like that he can defend but to think he can consistently guard the 1-4 is simply not true...

I play ball a little bit and noticed that it's hard to dance on Smart because he has great instincts, and posting him up is a challenge if you were Tyler Zeller or some other soft plush doll but guys at that spot could really just shoot over him since he doesn't really jump that high. As per Basketball-reference he only spent 1% of his minutes at the SF spot, so this "defensive versatility" narrative should have the added foot-note of "when applicable".

I totally and utterly agree. TP.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Rozier has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Rozier could fall off the map completely and it wouldn't change the fact that IT is not resigning here.

It's not a matter of player contributions, it comes down to philosophy.  Danny is not going to match what other teams will be offering IT.

Wonder what they can get for him in trade.

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yup . But IT is one of those good players that teams wont overpay for. Maybe 15 million a year, even if the cap increass

Its almost like paying a dh hitter max... just not going to get max max

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I get what you are saying here 100%, but when analysts and fans talk about guarding its usually always hypothetical. I cant find on the site how to split it by position, but Lebron is always said to be able to guard 1-5. Now can he do that? Probably. But when is the last time you saw LeBron get stuck on the other teams banging center, or their quick little point guard? Its all narratives, not being serious.
#JKJB

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I am not sure what gives you such certainty.

By the summer of 2018, it may very well be that the Celts have no better option for their cap space than to re-sign Isaiah to a 3 or 4 year max deal.

The Celts will likely be in a position at that point in time where even letting Isaiah and Avery walk won't leave enough cap space to make a major move for anybody else.  The only reason to not sign Isaiah would be if they already have a stud guard (basically, a guy they draft with the 2017 BRK pick) waiting in the wings.

I could see Isaiah leaving town if the Celts balk at giving him 5 years.  Maybe.  But it really seems in the interest of both sides to keep him around. 

I will be uneasy about Isaiah's aging process if the Celts indeed sign him to a deal that will take him past age 31.  Still, when you've got the core of a team that can win 45-55 games year on year, it doesn't make sense to just let that walk out the door.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
NBA 2K doesn't even have him as a lockdown defender ahaha!

**** well lock it up dude!  They have Curry better on defense.  Their ratings are a joke.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
NBA 2K doesn't even have him as a lockdown defender ahaha!

**** well lock it up dude!  They have Curry better on defense.  Their ratings are a joke.

Curry was a league leader in steals, so it's not so outrageous for his defensive ratings to be good.

Smart is an excellent defender in 2k who regularly will generate steals without the player even trying to steal the ball.  Just because he doesn't have the lockdown symbol doesn't mean he's effective.

You have to actually use a player in 2K and see if their abilities and production in the game match what you see in real life.  Smart generally fits the bill on both ends.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain