Author Topic: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Of course one factor is how much IT wants for his next contract

But lets forget about this for a sec. Just say Rozier just keeps playing extremely well, to the point he could start.

Is there a need to keep IT?

Jumping the gun a little hear but like to hear some thoughts.

At peak(if Rozier is the real deal) is potentially better than IT, when you factor in defensive capability on top of scoring ability. Both are not natural pgs anyway

Re: If Rozier keeps up his play, how does IT future with the Celts play out?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If rozier steps up and blows all of our socks off, you almost have to start him. If IT is good running the bench for years to come, great. If not, maybe move him so we dont lose him for nothing.

Granted this is all early as IT is miles ahead of rozier, but as I and others have been harping on for awhile; I dont think its wise to back the brinks truck up for a 5'9 score first pg who by the end of the contract will definately be declining.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Personally I think long term IT will be leaving.  He is just too good to be a bench guy, but I think we will want to spend elsewhere.  We will bring Smart up to start with Rozier coming off the bench.

I really like IT a lot but I think that's how it plays out.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am always a bit embarrassed how underappreciated IT seems to be by fans. He has put together 2 all star calibar seasons in a row and also performed in the playoffs with little help. Now have a thread discussing hypothetically whether a guy that had a solid preseason will replace him.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think for the time being we should be wondering how much he will affect the future of Marcus Smart.

At just the right time, Rozier will get some serious minutes while Marcus recovers. He isn't quite the defensive monster Smart is, but he's clearly a plus defender, he's a great rebounder, and he makes shots consistently, something Marcus just hasn't proven he can do.

I expect to see Rozier averaging double figures while he's gone. They may end up switching spots on the depth chart.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think for the time being we should be wondering how much he will affect the future of Marcus Smart.

At just the right time, Rozier will get some serious minutes while Marcus recovers. He isn't quite the defensive monster Smart is, but he's clearly a plus defender, he's a great rebounder, and he makes shots consistently, something Marcus just hasn't proven he can do.

I expect to see Rozier averaging double figures while he's gone. They may end up switching spots on the depth chart.

This is the correct answer. Terry has no impact on Isaiah for the foreseeable future. Marcus is the one who will be impacted by Terry's emergence.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am always a bit embarrassed how underappreciated IT seems to be by fans. He has put together 2 all star calibar seasons in a row and also performed in the playoffs with little help. Now have a thread discussing hypothetically whether a guy that had a solid preseason will replace him.

He's a proven top scoring option in this league, he's in his prime, and the Celts have been nothing but fun to watch and generally competitive since he arrived in Boston.

He is the face of this Celts team for now. 

The only question about re-signing him is how well the team believes he will age.  He is a fixture as far as I'm concerned.

Smart and Rozier are nice young pieces to have coming off the bench, and I could see one of them replacing Avery Bradley, who is a solid piece but eminently replaceable, when he hits free agency in a couple years.  I don't see either Smart or Rozier becoming a focal point of this team, though.

Thomas, Crowder, and Horford are the faces of this team for the foreseeable future, unless a blockbuster trade for a superstar (e.g. Cousins, Griffin, Butler) occurs.  Even in that case, I'd expect that Thomas and Horford would still be around to form the nucleus of a contender.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He's a proven top scoring option in this league, he's in his prime, and the Celts have been nothing but fun to watch and generally competitive since he arrived in Boston.

He is the face of this Celts team for now. 

The only question about re-signing him is how well the team believes he will age.  He is a fixture as far as I'm concerned.

Smart and Rozier are nice young pieces to have coming off the bench, and I could see one of them replacing Avery Bradley, who is a solid piece but eminently replaceable, when he hits free agency in a couple years.  I don't see either Smart or Rozier becoming a focal point of this team, though.

Thomas, Crowder, and Horford are the faces of this team for the foreseeable future, unless a blockbuster trade for a superstar (e.g. Cousins, Griffin, Butler) occurs.  Even in that case, I'd expect that Thomas and Horford would still be around to form the nucleus of a contender.

This sounds about right to me,

Let's enjoy IT. So many talk about when he won't be with the team. That's sad. He has breathed offensive life into this team and recruited Horford to be here.

I hope he's a Celtic for life.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Defensively, would you say Rozier is already better than IT?  Is that fair to say?  Unfortunately because of IT's size, defense is always going to be a problem.

Rozier is starting to make a believer out of me mainly because of his ability to shoot.  He was the 2nd most efficient player on the team in pre-season behind Horford.  He shot 60% from three.  The insane shooting efficiency isn't going to continue, but if the shooting is legit...   if the shooting is legit...

... seriously, if that shooting is legit...  and that's a HUGE "IF"... if that level of shooting is legit, we're talking about a player who might be the best shooter on the team. I don't expect this and it's ridiculous we're even talking about it.  But if the kid is the best shooter on the team, he absolutely could leapfrog Smart/Thomas into the starting lineup similarly to how the unlikely late 1st rounder Rondo leapfrogged Delonte/Telfair.  Shooting was our biggest weakness last season.  If the kid is shooting 50%/40%/80% (huge if) and is a better defensive option, starter minutes would make sense.   

We're getting way ahead of ourselves and jinxing Rozier in the process.   But if that were to happen, you might decide to have Thomas as instant offense off the bench (which some people still believe is his ideal role).  But if young Marcus Smart also makes a leap, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Thomas end up a key part in a trade package for an all-star at a position of need.  Can't rule anything out with Danny.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

It's not really that simple.   First of all, Smart is going to be a star I think and better than a lot of people think on here and he will be the guy starting in my mind.  Rozier will come off the bench.  It's not like "oh any of these guys can do what IT does", it's the team will change.  Instead, we may get a star SF/PF/C is the hope.

Trust me, I love IT but that's just how I see it playing out.  He will want to get paid and deserves it, but part of the Celtics position of strength is young cheaper players and they happen to be guards and multiple are promising.

Now, there could be some big trade that happens and maybe Rozier goes out in that and then yeah IT can come back.  That applies up and down the roster really.  The team is so flexible right now.  But change is inevitable and I think that's my best guess how it turns out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:28:56 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:34 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Before we all get too hyped on Rozier, remember he had a great preseason last year in terms of shooting the ball and couldn't shoot a lick once the real games began.

Maybe a steadier dose of minutes will keep him in rhythm, but the biggest extended samples we have on him are pretty underwhelming - shot around 50-52TS% at Louisville and in Maine.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If IT loses half a step with age in a couple of years as he reaches the end of his current deal, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a targeted martchup in a playoff series. Without the quicks to compensate for height, he is not only a backup, but possibly even a merely average one.  i don't see his game aging well.

ITs future has little to do with Rozier, unless someone has the idea Rozier is a starting playoff PG in the next year or two.

Perhaps the big question is whether Rozier develops fast enough to trade IT, though I can think the downside of trading IT is pretty huge.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Once IT slows he will be dead as a player,  he is not tall and won't be able to create space or get a good shot.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Before we all get too hyped on Rozier, remember he had a great preseason last year in terms of shooting the ball and couldn't shoot a lick once the real games began.

Maybe a steadier dose of minutes will keep him in rhythm, but the biggest extended samples we have on him are pretty underwhelming - shot around 50-52TS% at Louisville and in Maine.

Don't you think it takes a little time to adjust in a new league, farther 3-pt distance, etc. ? This guy is barely getting his feet wet & already is dangerous with that quickness. Keep that development going.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Rozier's outstanding preseason and summer league performances show the postseason experience is paying off.  I do think he will play, a backup role, to Isaiah, just like Smart did last year, so around 27 minutes.  Isaiah won't be affected this year or after resigning.  If after Rozier overtakes or equals Isaiah then moving on would be beneficial. But if my intuition holds true, Isaiah in couple years, not as athletic and therefore defensively liable, is forced into the sixth man role.  Now, the salary cap may interrupt that logic, so it will depend on the contract signed after this year.  Most don't agree with his sixth man fit now he is our superstar but I suspect that Ainge  had him in mind for just that.