Author Topic: Predict Smart's FG % and 3 pt % this year  (Read 2468 times)

Re: Predict Smart's FG % and 3 pt % this year
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think he'll take more of his shots from inside the arc and his field goal percentage will be in the 40-45% range as a result.

Based on what we've seen I can't predict anything better than 28-30% on three pointers, unfortunately.

Hopefully Smart can improve his finishing from last year and get to the line more often.  The goal for Smart should be to get his True Shooting Percentage up to 50% this year.  It was 49.% his rookie season and 46.3% last year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think he'll take more of his shots from inside the arc and his field goal percentage will be in the 40-45% range as a result.

Based on what we've seen I can't predict anything better than 28-30% on three pointers, unfortunately.

Hopefully Smart can improve his finishing from last year and get to the line more often.  The goal for Smart should be to get his True Shooting Percentage up to 50% this year.  It was 49.% his rookie season and 46.3% last year.
well, his preseason FG% is 42%. and my guesstimation on the 2 pt % is around 63%. take out the abysmal 3 point shooting and he would actually look fairly good from inside the 3 point line.

if he can develop a good mid-range shooting game, it will help him immensely. after that, he can work on 3 pointers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:29:56 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

well, his preseason FG% is 42%. take out the abysmal 3 point shooting and he would actually look fairly good from inside the 3 point line.

if he can develop a good mid-range shooting game, it will help him immensely. after that, he can work on 3 pointers.
Smart loves the three pointer. I don't see him removing those shots from his game.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

well, his preseason FG% is 42%. take out the abysmal 3 point shooting and he would actually look fairly good from inside the 3 point line.

Smart loves the three pointer. I don't see him removing those shots from his game.
i believe that may depend more upon CBS than smart. i believe sully took so many 3 pointers because CBS thought if he developed the aspect of his game, he would be more valuable.

you may be right though. we shall see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Smart may have to go the Evan Turner route, and significantly cut down on his 3 point shots. His percentage is too low to keep chucking.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
His 3% will go down even more because (hopefully) he will shoot less of them.  That should raise his overall percentage but not that much. 

3pp = 23%
Overall = 39%

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Smart may have to go the Evan Turner route, and significantly cut down on his 3 point shots. His percentage is too low to keep chucking.

Idk how many developmental shots Stevens is going to allow, especially with Horford in town looking to win.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

i believe that may depend more upon CBS than smart. i believe sully took so many 3 pointers because CBS thought if he developed the aspect of his game, he would be more valuable.

you may be right though. we shall see.

last year it was, essentially, have Marcus or Turner shoot them off the bench. And since Turner's playmaking and iso scoring ability was better than Smart's, Turner was on the ball more, so he wasn't just pulling up and shooting. Marcus was off the ball, so he was essentially forced into the role of the catch and shoot guy. because, coming back to my initial point, it was a choice between Smart and Turner for the off the bench wing shooter, and because of how Turner was more adept with the ball, it made marcus the designated shooter. which is why i believe his percentages were so low last season.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

well, his preseason FG% is 42%. and my guesstimation on the 2 pt % is around 63%. take out the abysmal 3 point shooting and he would actually look fairly good from inside the 3 point line.

Smart shot something like 42% on two pointers last year.  If he can get to 45% this year while also getting to the line more and shooting 70%+ on free throws, he'll be in solid shape.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
FG% =40%
3 pt% = 30%

Rozer has a shot to jump Smart. Let's see if he can take advantage.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Fg% - 43%
3PFG% - 32%

I predict his overall stat line is somewhere around 14.5 pts, 5 rebs, 4.5 asts, 1.6 stls per game

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
It would be pretty amazing if he cracked 40% shooting this year

Explain one thing to me. Why do people think he will be more than TA? Would Celtics fans look at him in the same light if he was on a different team? Some people have thrown the word potential star around. Not sure what they see.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Fg% - 43%
3PFG% - 32%

I predict his overall stat line is somewhere around 14.5 pts, 5 rebs, 4.5 asts, 1.6 stls per game

Pretty surprised by your fg%. I like the honesty. However I don't see him averaging that many points, lol.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I have not been able to see a lot of the pre-season but so far, what i have seen,  Marcus's shot selection is still awful.  His ball handling and near the basket game seems somewhat improved but I simply do not understand his choices.  Too many 3's heaved early in the clock.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Fg% - 43%
3PFG% - 32%

that is as optimistic as it gets for Marcus this year. Watch: he'll come back from the injury and he wont play as well, then when the reason ends, he'll tell us "yeah, the injury affected me for the whole season". Haven't we heard this story before?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about