Author Topic: Knicks (2-2) at Celtics (5-1) Preseason Game #6 10/19/16  (Read 27419 times)

Knicks (2-2) at Celtics (5-1) Preseason Game #6 10/19/16
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
New York Knicks (2-2)  at  Boston Celtics (5-1)
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #7
TV: CSNNE, ESPN 
TD Garden

Possible Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas 4
SG:  Avery Bradley 0
SF:  Jae Crowder 99
PF:  Al Horford  42
C:   Amir Johnson 90

Probable Reserves
Ben Bentil 50
Jaylen Brown 7
Marcus Georges-Hunt  45
Gerald Green  30
RJ Hunter  28
Demetrius Jackson  9
Jonas Jerebko  8
Jalen Jones  52
Damion Lee 56
Jordan Mickey  55
Terry Rozier  12
Marcus Smart 36
James Young 13
Tyler Zeller 44

Injuries

Kelly Olynyk  (shoulder)  out

Head Coach:  Brad Stevens 

Probable Starters

PG:  Brandon Jennings
SG:  Courtney Lee
SF:  Carmelo Anthony
PF:  Kristaps Porzingis
C:   Joakim Noah

Possible Reserves
Willy Hernangomez
JP Tokoto
Maurice Ndour
Chasson Randle
Justin Holiday
Kyle O'Quinn
Lou Amundson
Sasha Vujacic
Ron Baker
Marshall Plumlee
Damien Inglis
Mindaugas Kuzminskas

Injuries
Chasson Randle (eye)  out 
Derrick Rose  (personal)  out

Head Coach
Jeff Hornacek

Game Notes

The Celtics and the Knicks meet for the second time in the preseason.  The Celtics won the October 15 meeting 119-107.  This is the Celtics final preseason game while the Knicks have a rare back to back set and will face the Nets on Thursday to close out their preseason. 

With the preseason winding down, both teams may play closer to their regular rotation as they prepare for the regular season which is just a week away.  Derrick Rose has yet to play for the Knicks as he has been in LA for his trial dealing with the rape allegations.   Brandon Jennings has been playing very well as the starting PG in his absence. 

Joakim Noah returned to the Knicks in their first game against the Celtics after missing their first 3 games with an injury.  He finished with 5 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists in 19 minutes.  Former Celtic Courtney Lee added 4 points and 2 assists as the starting Shooting Guard.

Kelly Olynyk has yet to meet with his doctors but tests have shown that he isn't ready for contact as yet and remains out for the Celtics.  Derrick Rose will once again miss this game as will Chasson Randle who has an orbital fracture.   

The Celtics will be looking to end their preseason on a positive note with a win while at the same time continuing to improve both individually and as a team.   The Knicks will be looking to avenge their earlier loss to the Celtics and they also will be looking to build some chemistry as a team.  There are only 6 returning players from last year's roster.   They have 11 new players. 

Key Matchups
vs 
Jae Crowder vs Carmelo Anthony
Jae prides himself on locking down opponents and Carmelo Anthony is a challenge for anyone to guard.  He is averaging 15.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game and is always capable of exploding for a big game.  Melo finished Saturday's game with 15 points and 2 rebounds in 22 minutes while Jae finished with 11 points, 3 assists and a steal in 15 minutes.  Jae's defense will once again be key in this game.   

vs 
Al Horford vs Kristaps Porzingis
The 7'3" Porzingis is a tough cover and has been opening a lot of eyes around the league after being booed by Knicks fans on draft night.  He is averaging 16.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game.  Porzingis finished with 9 points and 3 rebounds in 14 minutes on Saturday.

Keys to the Game

Defense - Playing tough team defense is the key to winning every game. The Celtics need to concentrate on getting stops and keeping the Knicks' offense off balance.  Both teams are averaging 50% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc.  The Celtics need to find a way to slow the Knicks down.

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team. They have to be more aggressive in going after loose balls, in grabbing rebounds, in defending, and in going to the basket.  The Celtics have to be the team that wants it more, even if it is their last preseason game. 

Rebound - Much of rebounding is effort and desire and when the Celtics put out the extra effort to win the battle of the boards, they seem to play better overall. They have to grab rebounds to keep the Knicks from getting out on the break and to keep them from getting second chance points. 

Move the Ball - When the Celtics move the ball and find the open man,  they play very well.   When they start to play hero ball and stop moving the ball,  they usually lose and look terrible while doing it.   Their ball movement has looked good so far and they need to continue that in this game. 

Smart Offense - Take good shots.  The Celtics need to take shots when they are open and not force contested shots.  They need to move the ball and they need to run and then run some more to get the ball up the court before the Knicks defense is set up.  If the 3s aren't falling, they need to drive to the basket. 

X-Factors
Chemistry and Depth
The Celtics core has been together for a year now while the Knicks are all still getting used to each other.   Hopefully their chemistry will give them a boost.  The Celtics' depth is one of their strengths and that should once again be a factor in this game.   </center>

Re: Knicks (2-2) at Celtics (5-1) Preseason Game #6 10/19/16
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Let's end the preseason with a bang.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP, FLCeltsfan!

Last game  before the real games begin.

Go Cs!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP for mr. dee for being the first to post in the game thread!

Gooooooooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
TP for giving Rose the benefit of the doubt, instead of labelling him as a Trumpian monster who took advantage of a drunk, emotionally hurting young woman.

Goooo Celts.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Oh, this is on ESPN! I was getting mad because I didn't see it on League Pass. TP for an informative game thread, FlCeltsFan!

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Oh, this is on ESPN! I was getting mad because I didn't see it on League Pass. TP for an informative game thread, FlCeltsFan!

our commentary crew for the game:

Dave Pasch, Hubie Brown (http://espnmediazone.com/us/weekly-updates/espn-thisweek-october-18-2016/#e)

pretty good. at least it's not Jon Barry
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
The sock monkeys are back!!! That guarantees a Celtic victory! A smart choice by flc to be sure.

Goooooooo Celtics!  ;D and gooooooo tps for flc.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Dave Pasch, Hubie Brown (http://espnmediazone.com/us/weekly-updates/espn-thisweek-october-18-2016/#e)

I was expecting Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:30:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

unfortunately Breen is doing the lakers-warriors game...

i'm sure we will get him at some point though this season. we have 3 Sunday ABC games if i recall corrctly, he always does those, so i wouldnt be surprirsed to see us get him at least once this year, probably more times
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

unfortunately Breen is doing the lakers-warriors game...

i'm sure we will get him at some point though this season. we have 3 Sunday ABC games if i recall corrctly, he always does those, so i wouldnt be surprirsed to see us get him at least once this year, probably more times

A lot of people here don't like Breen, but I've always enjoyed him as the play-by-play guy. Also, I generally like Van Gundy when he's by himself, but not with Jackson. Jon Barry is also a terrible color commentator. Hubie is pretty decent and knowledgeable.

Actually, I don't really have too much of a problem with many of the play-by-play guys. It's the color commentators that get annoying, especially Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, and Jon Barry.

Brent Barry and Chris Webber are two of my favorite ones. Scal and Mannix are two of the better ones for C's games. Tommy's exaggerations and blatant homerism are fine for C's fans, but I understand why other teams' fans don't like him.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Final dress rehearsal for Young, Hunter, Mickey, Bentil, Jackson.  Who stays and who gets let go is the big question.  Monday deadline for locking down the roster, I believe.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
JUST IN:  Rose was found not guilty on all charges by a jury of 8 people.  He probably won't be with the team tonight but should be rejoining the team shortly. 

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Scott Souza @Scott_Souza

#Celtics going with bench tonight as starters. Starting 5 will not play other than Amir Johnson.

Boston Celtics

@celtics

Tonight's starters are: Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Jaylen brown, Jonas Jerebko and Amir Johnson.
4:50 PM - 19 Oct 2016

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Starters:

Rozier, Smart, Brown, Jerebko, Johnson

Brad said Amir is only playing for the first quarter. He just wants Amir and Jonas to get some more time on the court together.