Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15916 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he was promised something that didn't happen I could see why he might be upset.
Right but he seems to care about media/fan accolades as much as what the team does.

How the heck can the team control who the fans/media hype up?

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i have no idea why anyone would want a 31 year old at this point.  this team needs to look to the future with brown and adding two more brooklyn picks.  that's the ideal core going forward.   the current group isn't the team thats going to win stuff.

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Bradley's value isn't going to fetch us that much..  The nets picks might. Same with Crowder.  Smart would.  Brown if we trade him I will not be happy.  I'm there on smart as well.

Trading Smart and Rozier for Aldridge, Isaiah would be happy about that.  I still think it guts our team quite a bit in ways.. We'd still have Crowder and Bradley. Olynyk would possibly go in the trade or Amir as well as Zeller.

I see Smart as a future chip even over Isaiah.   But people can debate that.  I don't like it.

Trading Brown is crazy talk.

Smart, Rozier, Amir and Zeller for Aldridge is how it would probably go.

I'm with you man. Smart's impact on the game is so important. If he starts averaging 16 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds a game on 45%+ shooting, and getting to the line and hitting 30%+ from 3 point land he'll be a top 25 NBA player in my opinion given his defensive impact. He'll be the guard version of Jimmy Butler with even better defense. The three point shot is so critical to his development between becoming a great player, and an All Star player.
Marcus Smart is like a Klay Thompson on the defensive end. He's that valuable.

I also love Rozier and Brown. They are the future of this team I think.

I think if you trade for LMA, then you must do whatever you can to get Jimmy Butler here and go all in on a championship run.
Problem is though, while the Warriors are this good, and Lebron has another 4 or 5 years left, it's going to be tough no matter who's out there. In 5 years time Jaylen will only be 24, and Smart will be in his prime.

But yeah, I think Smart's overall impact on winning is just way under rated by most here.

Firstly, that's not going to happen.  Smart is not going to average 16 PPG, and i'm pretty doubtful that he'd average 6 APG either.  He's sure as hell highly unlikely to aveage 45% from the field any time soon.

Secondly, he's not a better defender then Jimmy Butler - that's crazy talk. 

I wish people would seriously come back to earth a bit in regard to Smart.  I cannot recall a single player in the past 5 years who has been more overrated on these forums then Smart is.

The guy is a good role player, and doesn't project to ever be much better then that.  People talk about him like he's got star potential - he doesn't.

If I had a chance to trade Marcus Smart for Jimmy Butler, Smart would be out that door before I even had the time to shake his hand.

I'm glad that people here are loyal to our players, but the Smart overhype is just straight out ridiculous right now.

Forgot about Rondo, huh?

You had people here, including mods, lining up baying at the moon to give Rondo a max deal.

What a disaster that would have been.

But ... your base point is well taken. Smart is wildly overrated on this board.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
i have no idea why anyone would want a 31 year old at this point.  this team needs to look to the future with brown and adding two more brooklyn picks.  that's the ideal core going forward.   the current group isn't the team thats going to win stuff.
Because Horford is by far Boston's best player.  Boston didn't sign Horford to build around the Brooklyn picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Because Horford is by far Boston's best player.  Boston didn't sign Horford to build around the Brooklyn picks.

IT is also our second best player and turns 28 this year. Bradley and Crowder (our 3rd and 4th best players) are right behind them in age. This team is built to win in the next few years. Not really sure how fans would follow this team and think otherwise...

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

IT is also our second best player and turns 28 this year. Bradley and Crowder (our 3rd and 4th best players) are right behind them in age. This team is built to win in the next few years. Not really sure how fans would follow this team and think otherwise...

If the Celtics play this thing right and they can have their cake and eat it too.   Built to win now, built to win 3 years from now, built to win a decade from now. 

Celtics certainly have the chips to do it.  It's all about using them right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If the Celtics play this thing right and they can have their cake and eat it too.   Built to win now, built to win 3 years from now, built to win a decade from now. 

This post made me hungry.

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Boston is only built to win now if it uses the assets that would be used to be built for a decade from now.

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Boston is only built to win now if it uses the assets that would be used to be built for a decade from now.

Yeah I disagree there Mr. Negative. If they hit on their picks, they're going to be good for a decade. Just resign everyone along with the future picks...

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

If you have a 2 or 3 seed and are a conference finalist, you are "win now".  If you're playing in the conference finals to advance to the NBA finals, you are "win now".     If you have a window to contend (I'd say conference finalist or more is contending for sure) for the 5-10 years, you can be both "win now" and built to last. 

If CLE suffers a Lebron or K-Love injury, what's to say this team can't make the NBA Finals as currently constructed without making a blockbuster trade?  (Winning it? Another story)

Small percent chance of that happening but still.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2016, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I am not really getting this decade stuff. In a decade IT, Horford and Amir will all be out of the league. Smart and Bradley and KO will definitely be on the back end of their career. Even Brown would be 30 and Rosier would 32. Is the decade just meant for hyperbole? Pointless negativity?

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Trading for LMA would be a mistake of epic proportions. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but it's one thing to sign Horford, who fits our team like a glove, in FA, and another to trade for LMA, who really doesn't fit our team now, for our golden tickets.

Wether you believe we're in win now mode or still rebuilding, we're not THAT desperate.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

If you have a 2 or 3 seed and are a conference finalist, you are "win now".  If you're playing in the conference finals to advance to the NBA finals, you are "win now".     If you have a window to contend (I'd say conference finalist or more is contending for sure) for the 5-10 years, you can be both "win now" and built to last. 

If CLE suffers a Lebron or K-Love injury, what's to say this team can't make the NBA Finals as currently constructed without making a blockbuster trade?  (Winning it? Another story)

Small percent chance of that happening but still.

Well, there was the fact that they made the finals in 2015 without Love. They really didn't seem to skip a beat. I think they could manage without him. If they lost Irving though, that would definitely hurt.

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I am not really getting this decade stuff. In a decade IT, Horford and Amir will all be out of the league. Smart and Bradley and KO will definitely be on the back end of their career. Even Brown would be 30 and Rosier would 32. Is the decade just meant for hyperbole? Pointless negativity?

Well, lets go back.

In 3-4 years, Isaiah and Al are gone from this team. Avery and Jae might be the veterans on the team, or maybe theyre gone too. The point here, though, is that Smart, Rozier, Brown, 17 Nets pick, etc., have all grown and developed in a winning environment here in Boston (thanks to the earlier contributions of Isaiah and Al and Jae and Bradley, etc). When the time comes, the young core will be the ones to be granted the keys to the franchise. But by then, theyre also at or near their primes. Theyre gonna be winning immediately. The franchise will likely not even have a drop off, and that leads to at least 5 years of relevance and "win now" situation, probably even more.

So basically, like Donoghus said, we can have our cake now, and eat it too in 5 years, and for the next 5 years after that.

We can win for literally 10 straight years if we draft well and manage contracts correctly. The negativity by Moranis is a little pointless, if you ask me. It wont take a decade for the young guys to become the faces of the franchise. It'll take 3, maybe 4 years.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Man I thought my point was obvious.  Boston right now is not a true contender, the only way for Boston to become one is to trade assets that would form the basis for a future contender i.e. Brown, BKN 17, BKN 18 (maybe Smart, Rozier).  Thus, my point was either Boston can be a true contender now by trading its assets or it can be a middle of the road type playoff team now and hope the young guys hit forming a future contender.  Given Boston signed Horford, I would absolutely expect Boston to be looking to acquire players that fit more in line with Horford's timeline and thus would be surprised if Boston doesn't trade at least one of the future BKN picks if not both of them (it might not be until this summer).