Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15917 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Bradley's value isn't going to fetch us that much..  The nets picks might. Same with Crowder.  Smart would.  Brown if we trade him I will not be happy.  I'm there on smart as well.

Trading Smart and Rozier for Aldridge, Isaiah would be happy about that.  I still think it guts our team quite a bit in ways.. We'd still have Crowder and Bradley. Olynyk would possibly go in the trade or Amir as well as Zeller.

I see Smart as a future chip even over Isaiah.   But people can debate that.  I don't like it.

Trading Brown is crazy talk.

Smart, Rozier, Amir and Zeller for Aldridge is how it would probably go.

I'm with you man. Smart's impact on the game is so important. If he starts averaging 16 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds a game on 45%+ shooting, and getting to the line and hitting 30%+ from 3 point land he'll be a top 25 NBA player in my opinion given his defensive impact. He'll be the guard version of Jimmy Butler with even better defense. The three point shot is so critical to his development between becoming a great player, and an All Star player.
Marcus Smart is like a Klay Thompson on the defensive end. He's that valuable.

I also love Rozier and Brown. They are the future of this team I think.

I think if you trade for LMA, then you must do whatever you can to get Jimmy Butler here and go all in on a championship run.
Problem is though, while the Warriors are this good, and Lebron has another 4 or 5 years left, it's going to be tough no matter who's out there. In 5 years time Jaylen will only be 24, and Smart will be in his prime.

But yeah, I think Smart's overall impact on winning is just way under rated by most here.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bradley's value isn't going to fetch us that much..  The nets picks might. Same with Crowder.  Smart would.  Brown if we trade him I will not be happy.  I'm there on smart as well.

Trading Smart and Rozier for Aldridge, Isaiah would be happy about that.  I still think it guts our team quite a bit in ways.. We'd still have Crowder and Bradley. Olynyk would possibly go in the trade or Amir as well as Zeller.

I see Smart as a future chip even over Isaiah.   But people can debate that.  I don't like it.

I'm with you man. Smart's impact on the game is so important. If he starts averaging 16 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds a game on 45%+ shooting, and getting to the line and hitting 30%+ from 3 point land he'll be a top 25 NBA player in my opinion given his defensive impact. He'll be the guard version of Jimmy Butler with even better defense. The three point shot is so critical to his development between becoming a great player, and an All Star player.

I think if you trade for LMA, then you must do whatever you can to get Jimmy Butler here and go all in on a championship run.
Problem is though, while the Warriors are this good, and Lebron has another 4 or 5 years left, it's going to be tough no matter who's out there. In 5 years time Jaylen will only be 24, and Smart will be in his prime.

But yeah, I think Smart's overall impact on winning is just way under rated by most here.

Firstly, that's not going to happen.  Smart is not going to average 16 PPG, and i'm pretty doubtful that he'd average 6 APG either.  He's sure as hell highly unlikely to aveage 45% from the field any time soon.

Secondly, he's not a better defender then Jimmy Butler - that's crazy talk. 

I wish people would seriously come back to earth a bit in regard to Smart.  I cannot recall a single player in the past 5 years who has been more overrated on these forums then Smart is.

The guy is a good role player, and doesn't project to ever be much better then that.  People talk about him like he's got star potential - he doesn't.

If I had a chance to trade Marcus Smart for Jimmy Butler, Smart would be out that door before I even had the time to shake his hand.

I'm glad that people here are loyal to our players, but the Smart overhype is just straight out ridiculous right now.

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Actually, it's way OVER rated.

Smart impacts team wins, there's no doubt about it.  He does so on a consistent basis.  But so does Jae Crowder.  So does Isaiah Thomas.  So does Amir Johnson.  So does Kelly Olynyk. 

Those guys all impact on wins more then Smart does according to pretty much every metric known to man.

There are lots of other guys on other NBA teams who don't have outworldly reputations, who also impact on their team's wins - many moreso then Smart does for us.

Yet people seem to have this obsessive view that Smart impacts on wins more then anybody else on the team.  He doesn't.  He's an impact player, but he's a REPLACABLE impact player.

Marcus Smart is a Point Guard who has horrible decision making (shot selection, flopping, etc), cannot shoot, cannot dribble, is an OK passer, is a good rebounder, and is a good (not elite, just good) defender.

That's not to say he doesn't have potential to improve some - he is only 22 after all.

Lets not get carried away though.  Right now, defence and rebounding are literally the ONLY things he is above average at...and they are fairly easily offset by his ghastly shooting, his poor ball handling and his terrible decision making.

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Actually, it's way OVER rated.

Smart impacts team wins, there's no doubt about it.  He does so on a consistent basis.  But so does Jae Crowder.  So does Isaiah Thomas.  So does Amir Johnson.  So does Kelly Olynyk. 

Those guys all impact on wins more then Smart does according to pretty much every metric known to man.

There are lots of other guys on other NBA teams who don't have outworldly reputations, who also impact on their team's wins - many moreso then Smart does for us.

Yet people seem to have this obsessive view that Smart impacts on wins more then anybody else on the team.  He doesn't.  He's an impact player, but he's a REPLACABLE impact player.

Marcus Smart is a Point Guard who has horrible decision making (shot selection, flopping, etc), cannot shoot, cannot dribble, is an OK passer, is a good rebounder, and is a good (not elite, just good) defender.

That's not to say he doesn't have potential to improve some - he is only 22 after all.

Lets not get carried away though.  Right now, defence and rebounding are literally the ONLY things he is above average at...and they are fairly easily offset by his ghastly shooting, his poor ball handling and his terrible decision making.
:-[ :'( :-X
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart is an X-factor, some games he helps and others he hurts.   I think he helps more than he hurts most games.   His D is always solid and he makes tons of plays off the ball, in the past though there have been games when his poor shooting hurt us.   I hope his shot is improved and he can maintain it.

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Smart is an X-factor, some games he helps and others he hurts.   I think he helps more than he hurts most games.   His D is always solid and he makes tons of plays off the ball, in the past though there have been games when his poor shooting hurt us.   I hope his shot is improved and he can maintain it.
And, he is still young and his game may, may, may still develop. Too early to reach definitive conclusions with him on passing, shooting, shot selection.

Heck, while it is only preseason, thus far he is shooting about 70% from inside the 3 point line so far. Will he continue in the regular season? Lets wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Smart is an X-factor, some games he helps and others he hurts. 

I really do not think this is the case at all.  When you are playing such elite level defense you are always helping.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/With-trade-rumors-surfacing-Aldridge-s-future-9981115.php

In the start of year two, it appears the LaMarcus Aldridge experiment in San Antonio is in danger of collapsing.

The Express-News has been informed by a league source the Spurs are open to trading the former Longhorn should the right package surface. Those within the Spurs refuted the suggestion, saying no talks have occurred with any team.

Recent comments from ESPN.com's Jackie MacMullan, who is well-sourced in NBA circles, suggest the Spurs could trade Aldridge before the end of the season.

Speaking to CSNNE.com's Early Edition, MacMullan said the addition of Aldridge has not worked out like the Spurs hoped.

Asked if she would want Aldridge to come to the Boston Celtics, who are loaded with draft picks, MacMullan responded: "No. Not after what I heard the other day I don't. Of course, you would take him on if you could because he's an automatic double-double. But there's just some things about him. There is some stuff going on maybe."

This isn't the first time rumors surrounding Aldridge's future with San Antonio have surfaced. Last season, there were rumblings in NBA circles that Aldridge wanted to be traded before the All-Star break, maybe to a team like the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Spurs didn't bite, though, won 67 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

Those close to the situation suggest Aldridge may not be happy at the moment. The belief is the Spurs pitched him on becoming the center of their offense when they recruited him in 2015, and that hasn't occurred with the rise of Kawhi Leonard. However, a team source said there are currently no problems with Aldridge, adding he is apart of the Spurs' future.

If you recall, Aldridge went through a similar situation with the Trail Blazers. Though there was no serious turmoil between the two, Aldridge wasn't exactly thrilled with the accession and eventual takeover by Damian Lillard as the face of the franchise.

Some in NBA circles speculate Aldridge may not be with the Spurs by the end of his deal, which runs through the end of next season, with a player option worth roughly $22 million for the 2018-19 season.

Could the Phoenix Suns re-emerge as a potential suitor for Aldridge's services? Head coach Earl Watson played with Aldridge in Portland and the two are said to be close. Maybe Danny Ainge would unload some of those draft picks in a deal to bring Aldridge to Boston.

Whatever the case, this isn't how the Spurs wanted to start off their 2016-17 season, which begins a week from now in Oakland, with rumors surrounding last season's free agent prize.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and GM R.C. Buford are not ones to panic, though. If there is some friction behind the scenes, the recent addition of Monty Williams to the front office staff may help, as Williams and Aldridge are close dating back to their days in Portland.

Don't be surprised if the Spurs play out this season with Aldridge. Should they fail to advance to at least the Western Conference Finals, maybe look to trade him next offseason. But if any rumored friction continues to progress, something could be done sooner.

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I am against trading for a 31 year old who does not give us a chance to win a title..  For LeBron yes for lamarcus not... He could not do it with leonard and all the others...  Gove smart and olynyc and the nets picks for Davis

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Aldridge did not like sharing the spotlight with Brandon Roy. I remember a few articles back then about the Trailblazers having to make sure they told Aldridge how much he meant to the team. He was a very sensitive guy who didn't like the attention Roy got.

He could had matured by now but if he's having problems on the Spurs then he's probably the same person still.

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Aldridge did not like sharing the spotlight with Brandon Roy. I remember a few articles back then about the Trailblazers having to make sure they told Aldridge how much he meant to the team. He was a very sensitive guy who didn't like the attention Roy got.

He could had matured by now but if he's having problems on the Spurs then he's probably the same person still.
He also didn't like sharing with Lillard, and now apparently Leonard....

So yeah, that is not good.

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He also didn't like sharing with Lillard, and now apparently Leonard....

So yeah, that is not good.
San Antonio is one of the most egalitarian ball sharing teams in the league, if he's complaining there I don't know where he would be happy.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If he was promised something that didn't happen I could see why he might be upset.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Firstly, that's not going to happen.  Smart is not going to average 16 PPG, and i'm pretty doubtful that he'd average 6 APG either.  He's sure as hell highly unlikely to aveage 45% from the field any time soon.

Secondly, he's not a better defender then Jimmy Butler - that's crazy talk. 

I wish people would seriously come back to earth a bit in regard to Smart.  I cannot recall a single player in the past 5 years who has been more overrated on these forums then Smart is.

The guy is a good role player, and doesn't project to ever be much better then that.  People talk about him like he's got star potential - he doesn't.

If I had a chance to trade Marcus Smart for Jimmy Butler, Smart would be out that door before I even had the time to shake his hand.

I'm glad that people here are loyal to our players, but the Smart overhype is just straight out ridiculous right now.

CARMELO and others disagree with you...Marcus Smart projects to be a Future All Star.

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Aldridge was my main target a few years back. Now, not so interested because of his age. It would have to be a steal and San Antonio isn't going to do anything stupid.