Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15918 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
LMA is a superstar. An Aldridge-Horford frontcourt would be the best in the league, one that would give GSW serious trouble. But LMA is aging and evidently has some character concerns. If we can get him without giving up Jaylen or BKN 2017, then sure, I'm all for it. We shouldn't empty the cupboard for him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.

She might not have the best trade ideas or proposals, but she's pretty well connected, right?

Many feel she has lost her fastball

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kinda weird to suggest that LMA in San Antonio is a "failed experiment" when the Spurs dominated in the regular season and then lost a tough series in the second round to an extremely talented opponent that was probably the worst possible matchup for that Spurs team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Pop is probably reading these rumors chuckling. No way SAS trade Aldridge..
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.

She might not have the best trade ideas or proposals, but she's pretty well connected, right?

Many feel she has lost her fastball

She is very well connected and a very respected Boston sports writer (except for the Deflategate saga..), but to be honest, yeah it seems she is starting to spout out more ridiculous rumors than before. Like this Aldridge situation, the fact that Boston were supposedly front runners for the Greek Freak next offseason (he got an extension a month later lol).

I mean, hey, maybe the Spurs do dangle LA in trade talks... but if they do then forget any team even coming close to Golden State. Obviously warriors are the cream of the west but I still thought San Antonio could get the 2 seed and give them a run for their money.. it just makes no sense the Spurs would start "rebuilding" all of a sudden. Trading Aldridge for some young rookie-players and picks? Why now?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Jahlil Okafor a rookie at age 20 put up better per-36 stats in almost every category than LaMarcus Aldridge did as  rookie at age 21.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okafoja01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

IMO they have similar flaws - defense, rebounding, toughness, passing. But they can manufacture points.

Why not just get the kid instead? He might be cheaper, he's much lower salary, and will better fit in with our eventual championship window, as I don't think we're winning it this year with or without Aldridge.

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:55 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I say wait and catch Blake as an FA or find a Danny like treaded for Cousins.

I was a big fan of Aldrige, but if he doesn't fit with the spurs, does he fit with us?

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Jahlil Okafor a rookie at age 20 put up better per-36 stats in almost every category than LaMarcus Aldridge did as  rookie at age 21.

IMO they have similar flaws - defense, rebounding, toughness, passing. But they can manufacture points.

Why not just get the kid instead? He might be cheaper, he's much lower salary, and will better fit in with our eventual championship window, as I don't think we're winning it this year with or without Aldridge.
you really have to look at advanced statistics or you end up with silly comparisons like this.

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I say wait and catch Blake as an FA or find a Danny like treaded for Cousins.

I was a big fan of Aldrige, but if he doesn't fit with the spurs, does he fit with us?

exactly. i've heard from blazers fans too, after aldridge left, that they finally realized what an offense with ball movement looks like. spurs fans have also said they feel their ball movement and "spursian" offense was lost a bit at times because of iso's from aldridge. it didnt hurt them because he's really good, but over time it could certainly hurt a team long term.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

you really have to look at advanced statistics or you end up with silly comparisons like this.
How much do advanced metrics matter when you play on a team as bad as the Sixers were last year?   Okafor shot over 50% while being assisted on a little over 40% of his shots.  Most bigs are assisted on around 60% of their shots.  Portland wasn't a good team but at least they had Zack Randolph and Brandon Roy. 

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2016, 11:24:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Would prefer Rodman > Aldridge tbh
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How much do advanced metrics matter when you play on a team as bad as the Sixers were last year?   Okafor shot over 50% while being assisted on a little over 40% of his shots.  Most bigs are assisted on around 60% of their shots.  Portland wasn't a good team but at least they had Zack Randolph and Brandon Roy.
defense

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2016, 12:26:35 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

defense
Okafor being bad on defense was expected.  Duke needed him offensively so he wasn't asked to play much defense for them.  The question is with coaching and better fitness how much can Okafor improve defensively.  Considering his offensive talent don't even know that he needs to become average defensively.  Just can't be horrible like he was last season. 

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

defense
Okafor being bad on defense was expected.  Duke needed him offensively so he wasn't asked to play much defense for them.  The question is with coaching and better fitness how much can Okafor improve defensively.  Considering his offensive talent don't even know that he needs to become average defensively.  Just can't be horrible like he was last season.

Perhaps. I personally don't think he will and will be an offensive big off the bench similar to kanter with a little less rebounding. Regardless he is years away from being a polished played like LA. Given the age of horford, IT and Bradley worth Crowder really entering his prime LA takes a lot more advantage of our current window. Okafor just does not make a lot of sense for us and I wish people would chill on getting him

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2016, 03:19:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

defense

Perhaps. I personally don't think he will and will be an offensive big off the bench similar to kanter with a little less rebounding. Regardless he is years away from being a polished played like LA. Given the age of horford, IT and Bradley worth Crowder really entering his prime LA takes a lot more advantage of our current window. Okafor just does not make a lot of sense for us and I wish people would chill on getting him
Okafor can already be the offensive big off the bench.  He would be replacing Zeller so that's a clear upgrade. Aldridge would probably cost significantly more to obtain and he's less likely to actually be available.  My preference is Cousins (really Embiid but that's not happening) but the Kings are stupid and will probably lose him for nothing.