Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15927 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do the Celtics really need LMA given what they already have on the roster and at the cost it would take to get him? 

Celtics aren't at the position yet where they need to make a move and cash in on assets yet.  They could but they certainly don't have to.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Do the Celtics really need LMA given what they already have on the roster and at the cost it would take to get him? 

Celtics aren't at the position yet where they need to make a move and cash in on assets yet.  They could but they certainly don't have to.

This. 

Besides, the guy is 31.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
It still feels weird to me to see all these trade proposals and not have a single mention of Sully as a player we are trying to dump on somebody else.

Long live the Sully trade rumors.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
We'd still have the brooklyn picks where we can max Smart's value and trade him for a guy like Aldridge.  We would be like a younger version of those spurs teams with a smaller window with our current group though.  The nets picks would definately help.  Aldridge is way better than some of the other names I've heard.  We are going to run out of roster spots ultimately.

I think trading Brown  under any circumstance is nuts.  Smart there is some leeway.......

It depends on how you see smart. I see him as a guy who is core to our identity and could take Isaiah's spot ultimately.

I am not super high on Isaiah although the Celtics might be.  As a Tony Parker type player with Aldridge and Horford and Brown and Crowder and B radley and our young bigs stashed overseas we would be a lot like those spurs teams.

We'd be banking on those brooklyn picks though and a fairly short window. 

Going with AB and Crowder and banking on those guys with Brown is alright though.  Brown and those nets picks would really be our future.

my head has an argument for or against.  Smart is really tough for me to trade.  Even for Aldridge. 

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:19:00 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think this trade would significantly improve Boston's chances against the Cavs/Warriors

Smart, Olynyk, Zeller, Jerekbo, 2018 BKN

for

Aldridge, Mills

I think that trade makes reasonable sense for both teams. 

So post-trade
PG - Thomas, Mills, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green, Hunter
SF - Crowder, Brown
PF - Aldridge, Mickey
C - Horford, Johnson

Team is a bit light in the interior depth (though is right now anyway), but I think that top 8 (Thomas, Bradley, Green, Crowder, Brown, LMA, Horford, Johnson) would pose a lot more problems for the top teams than the current team does.  And there would be 2 roster spots available to add some veterans for the stretch run.  Now is that team a future champion, maybe not, but Boston is legitimately only 1 move away with that team and still has top tier assets available to acquire said player (17 pick, Brown).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We could really replace Smart in next years draft but I still value Smart over those picks. Brown is really our future and untouchable for the next 15  years  imo.

I don't think we go into next years draft trying to replace Smart either.  It depends.   We have Zizic and Yab stashed.

It's a lot to give up. Aldridge to me is way better than any of the other big men mentioned though.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Trade them next years nets pick, Rozier and Amir, Zeller and filler for Aldridge makes more sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:21:19 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 11:58:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think this trade would significantly improve Boston's chances against the Cavs/Warriors

for

Aldridge, Mills

So post-trade
SF - Crowder, Brown
PF - Aldridge, Mickey
C - Horford, Johnson

Team is a bit light in the interior depth (though is right now anyway), but I think that top 8 (Thomas, Bradley, Green, Crowder, Brown, LMA, Horford, Johnson) would pose a lot more problems for the top teams than the current team does.  And there would be 2 roster spots available to add some veterans for the stretch run.  Now is that team a future champion, maybe not, but Boston is legitimately only 1 move away with that team and still has top tier assets available to acquire said player (17 pick, Brown).

But, again, it's not a deal that needs to be done. It's not like this Celtics team has only a 2 year window to work in. 

LMA would be a luxury, not a necessity for this team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

This makes sense...too early for emptying the cupboard.

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

for

Aldridge, Mills

So post-trade
SF - Crowder, Brown
PF - Aldridge, Mickey
C - Horford, Johnson

But, again, it's not a deal that needs to be done. It's not like this Celtics team has only a 2 year window to work in. 

LMA would be a luxury, not a necessity for this team.
LMA is a much better fit with Horford's age though.  That is the real window for the current team.  Now if Boston is fine just be ok during Horford's window and using the Brooklyn picks to build a new core around, that is fine, but if that is the plan why sign Horford to begin with.  Boston needs to make some moves to build around Horford.  This is clearly one of those moves.  Frankly I think LMA is better than anyone that would sign in Boston this summer, I see no reason to not acquire him for some bench players and a future pick, even if the bench players and future pick could be really good some day.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
That's the key point to keep in mind when saying we don't need to cash in our chips. When we signed Horford I'm sure he was promised we would add another player or two to legitimately contend. Horford didn't come here to watch he pups grow up, and he's not getting any younger. Horford and IT together with our defensive core of Crowder and Bradley are an excellent foundation to add a LMA and anther star too if you want to contend, and we have the picks and prospects to add to that group.

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Here is my trade idea given the recent rumours... :

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrkeojw

Plus ATL gets 1 non-Brooklyn 1st round picks from Celtics and a 1st or early 2nd round pick from  Orlando...

Could throw in Zeller if it happens around trade deadline....

What do you guys think....?

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Would like to see him back with the Blazers.

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.
She is i flip channel when I see her. She knows very little she is a feature writer who wants more.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.

She might not have the best trade ideas or proposals, but she's pretty well connected, right?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about