Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15909 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.
Plus they already have a guy they just drafted who would be in the Rozier/Smart category- Dejounte Murray.

I don't understand what she is thinking.  Did she want to sign Conley to the max and then trade Smart and Rozier for Aldridge so we can be the memphis grizzlies? Now she thinks this is a good idea anyways?  Does she have any concept of what she is even trying to do here?  Let's just throw out random names and  trade 2 of our best young players.  That's more what it seems like to me.  Duncan just retired.  I can understand SA wanting to go young with Leonard but Aldridge is a rock there for the time being.  We just signed Horford and I don't undestand.

Nothing against Aldridge either or Conley for that matter either.  I actually like  both players quite a bit and think they are 2 of the more underrated stars in the league.  But even still.  We aren't trying to be the grizzlies here.  SA is a great organization and the Griz are underrated as well but we are going to be better than that.

We have Isaiah Thomas.  We have Horford and good  young players and that's  how we are building until i h ear otherwise.   OUr guards are the strength and identity of our team and the whole reason we are building.

If we trade Marcus and Rozier for  a 32 year old Aldridge I'll be somewhat mindboggled.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:36:01 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

No, she has a brilliant basketball mind.  She knows the game.  She's played and coached at a high level.  I think you mean she would not make a very good GM, that's all.

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

No, she has a brilliant basketball mind.  She knows the game.  She's played and coached at a high level.  I think you mean she would not make a very good GM, that's all.

She was on top of Rondo.  I think she just reports stuff though and has the advantage of being there and seeing what is going on.  As far as seeing the big picture though she is clueless a lot of the time and drags up controversy.

I am being a bit hard on Jackie.  She drives me nuts with some of the stuff she reports sometimes though.  Other times she is in the know much more than I am that is for sure.  More interesting than A Sherrod although both have their pluses and minuses and drive me nuts in different ways. Bob Ryan is another one.  Felger, Mazz etc.....  The Boston media is good at times but will drive  you nuts.  Tanguay dear lord.

We are a progressive state?  Some of these guys and gals miss the obvious though and will trip over their own feet trying to make moves that don't need to be made sometimes.

Danny Ainge is a rock amidst the storm and the voice of reason but even he and other GM's fall prey to the media in this town sometimes.  We still win a lot though and seem to find our bearing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:13:56 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Plus they already have a guy they just drafted who would be in the Rozier/Smart category- Dejounte Murray.

I don't understand what she is thinking.  Did she want to sign Conley to the max and then trade Smart and Rozier for Aldridge so we can be the memphis grizzlies? Now she thinks this is a good idea anyways?  Does she have any concept of what she is even trying to do here?  Let's just throw out random names and  trade 2 of our best young players.  That's more what it seems like to me.  Duncan just retired.  I can understand SA wanting to go young with Leonard but Aldridge is a rock there for the time being.  We just signed Horford and I don't undestand.

Nothing against Aldridge either or Conley for that matter either.  I actually like  both players quite a bit and think they are 2 of the more underrated stars in the league.  But even still.  We aren't trying to be the grizzlies here.  SA is a great organization and the Griz are underrated as well but we are going to be better than that.

We have Isaiah Thomas.  We have Horford and good  young players and that's  how we are building until i h ear otherwise.   OUr guards are the strength and identity of our team and the whole reason we are building.

If we trade Marcus and Rozier for  a 32 year old Aldridge I'll be somewhat mindboggled.
The current team will win a lot of games in the regular season but I don't see us beating the Cavs or GSW in the playoffs.  In two years, Horford will be 32 and Smart, Bradley and Thomas will all be looking to get paid.  If we're looking to be a true championship contender, Ainge needs to make a couple more moves.  I wouldn't have wanted Noah but Conley on a 4 year MAX would have been a pretty good pickup. 

Personally I'm holding out for getting Cousins at the trade deadline without losing any core players and then maybe getting Paul in free agency.  That would give us a true championship contender (well balanced offensively and defensively) albeit with a fairly short window. 

Paul/Thomas     (wouldn't overpay to keep Thomas in two years)
Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Green
Horford/Olynyk
Cousins

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Smart, Olynyk, Zeller, Jerekbo, 2018 BKN

for

Aldridge, Mills

I think that trade makes reasonable sense for both teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge iiiiiii be traded
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The current team will win a lot of games in the regular season but I don't see us beating the Cavs or GSW in the playoffs.  In two years, Horford will be 32 and Smart, Bradley and Thomas will all be looking to get paid.  If we're looking to be a true championship contender, Ainge needs to make a couple more moves.  I wouldn't have wanted Noah but Conley on a 4 year MAX would have been a pretty good pickup. 

Personally I'm holding out for getting Cousins at the trade deadline without losing any core players and then maybe getting Paul in free agency.  That would give us a true championship contender (well balanced offensively and defensively) albeit with a fairly short window. 

Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Green
Horford/Olynyk
Cousin
I notice you say this quite a bit but the fact is Smart, Bradley and IT wanting to get paid is irrelevant. Once we are over the cap, the Celtics can offer them whatever the want and ownership has already proven the are willing to go over the cap, even to the point of paying luxury tax as long as the team has a chance to win a title. If the Celtics pick up the necessary piece to become a real contender for the title....you pay those guys because the are top notch complimentary players for a championship team and young.S

I don't know if Aldirdge is that piece, I think not but he could be if his defense gets better and he has the right attitude in this locker room. In a trade for LA, Amir and Zeller would have to go to match salary and probably Smart or Rozier, and probably next year's Brooklyn swap and Ante Zizic(Pops loves those draft and stash Euros and they always seem to excel under him). That's  not a bad price to pay for LA.

Funny that Pops and Ainge would deal with each other. They are both known as a couple of the top GMs in the league when it comes to getting the best of their trading partner in a trade. Who would win a trade when its Pops versus Ainge?

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Green
Horford/Olynyk
Cousin
I notice you say this quite a bit but the fact is Smart, Bradley and IT wanting to get paid is irrelevant. Once we are over the cap, the Celtics can offer them whatever the want and ownership has already proven the are willing to go over the cap, even to the point of paying luxury tax as long as the team has a chance to win a title. If the Celtics pick up the necessary piece to become a real contender for the title....you pay those guys because the are top notch complimentary players for a championship team and young.S

I don't know if Aldirdge is that piece, I think not but he could be if his defense gets better and he has the right attitude in this locker room. In a trade for LA, Amir and Zeller would have to go to match salary and probably Smart or Rozier, and probably next year's Brooklyn swap and Ante Zizic(Pops loves those draft and stash Euros and they always seem to excel under him). That's  not a bad price to pay for LA.

Funny that Pops and Ainge would deal with each other. They are both known as a couple of the top GMs in the league when it comes to getting the best of their trading partner in a trade. Who would win a trade when its Pops versus Ainge?
paying the luxury tax and paying Cavs like luxury tax are two entirely different things. 

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm not sure Aldridge is a fit for the same reason I believe he has had issues in San Antonio. He is a ball stopper, he likes to take his time in the post or take a while to set up his jumper on the wing. I don't want to see anyone on this team that slows our ball movement.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Green
Horford/Olynyk
Cousin

paying the luxury tax and paying Cavs like luxury tax are two entirely different things.
You still have time before hitting that level and IT is probably the only max guy in that bunch so the C's would have a window to be in luxury tax land and may never reach Cavs level of tax. Tazz's point is irrelevant

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Like Evantime said I don't think we are trying to be a team like that where we have these cornerstone guys we just plug in.  Memphis has that with Conley and Gasol.  Good players but they haven't been able to get over the top.  they have players you just plug in and have made some decent roleplayer signings like Allen and have had Randolph there but it wasn't enough. 

How we are building is totally different and having interchangeable parts and guys who share the ball. Horford is a great fit here because he's also a good passer. Aldridge is a rock and a really good scorer for a big man.  I like him but I don't think scrapping what we are doing here to get 3 underrated stars is what we are trying to do.

I think the strength of our team is having jaylen and marcus and rozier and guys like that to go with guys like Isaiah and Horford.

Atlanta is a team like Memphis that just gets star players that are not top of the top and can't get over the top like Memphis too.  We don't want to do that and max ourselves out that way.

i don't know what jackie is thinking but her Conley stuff and Aldridge is off base imo. That is exactly what we are trying not to do.

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Marcus, jaylen Rozier etc are going to get paid ultimately but we can sign players without having to trade them.  The cap is rising.

Guys like Bradley, Crowder, Isaiah, even Horford aren't going to be here forever and they will take those guys spots in the salary structure.

It's not that cut and dry but with good management and not overpaying and maximizing players value the strength of our team is our young core and guys like Smart, Rozier and Brown.

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Does anybody have a link to this Jackie Mac story?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Green
Horford/Olynyk
Cousin

You still have time before hitting that level and IT is probably the only max guy in that bunch so the C's would have a window to be in luxury tax land and may never reach Cavs level of tax. Tazz's point is irrelevant
Bradley, Smart, Olynyk, and Thomas will all be getting big raises in the near future. The year after that Crowder and Rozier get theirs.  Horford will still be under contract.  Brown and the Brooklyn pick this year will have high rookie contracts.  If Boston adds another 20 million + contract, I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of salary Boston will have.  130 million is quite possible. 

2018 Contracts
29 - Horford
7 - Crowder
5 - Brown
5 - BKN 17
4 - BKN 18
3 - Rozier
3 - Zizic, Yabu
1 - BOS 18

Some are easy to move but that is 57 million

Let's say KO signs for 15 million a year this summer - seems reasonable enough - takes the total to 72 million

What do you project Smart, Bradley, Thomas to sign for in the summer of 18

Let's say Thomas is 20, Bradley is 18, Smart is 10 - that's 48 million and those might all be underestimated.  Add that to the other salaries and Boston is at 120 million without accounting for a major free agent/trade addition.  Now adding that player might cost some of those players, but with the increase in cap and if that player gets a max he will be pushing 30 million in the 18 cap year (and Boston won't be giving up that much to acquire him). 

Boston isn't going to pay that type of tax (I've seen the projected cap for 18/19 at 109 million so 120 million is already in luxury tax range without the additional max contract), which is why I firmly believe Smart, Olynyk, and Crowder/Brown (one will be traded not both) are all clearly on the unofficial trade block.  Thomas might be as well if Boston can find a suitable enough replacement that isn't going to cost 20+ million a year going forward.

That is also why I don't think Boston does anything in free agency this summer unless it is a very clear upgrade that makes one of those up coming free agents expendable.  Like signing Hayward would mean Bradley will be traded (you know something like that).

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Bradley's value isn't going to fetch us that much..  The nets picks might. Same with Crowder.  Smart would.  Brown if we trade him I will not be happy.  I'm there on smart as well.

Trading Smart and Rozier for Aldridge, Isaiah would be happy about that.  I still think it guts our team quite a bit in ways.. We'd still have Crowder and Bradley. Olynyk would possibly go in the trade or Amir as well as Zeller.

I see Smart as a future chip even over Isaiah.   But people can debate that.  I don't like it.

Trading Brown is crazy talk.

Smart, Rozier, Amir and Zeller for Aldridge is how it would probably go.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:37:31 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The spurs were aging with  Parker, Ginobli and Duncan.  They had LEonard and Aldridge and lost.  We'd have Isaiah and Brown and Aldridge and Horford. Horford is a younger offensive version of duncan at this point.   It makes sense if we are trying to build our team like that.  We'd still have Crowder, Hunter, Zizic and Yab coming over as well as Olynyk possibly.  We'd be like the spurs but younger.

SA would go younger.  I still don't like it and think trading Smart is a mistake.  We could do worse.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:11:52 AM by walker834 »