Author Topic: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded  (Read 15928 times)

Re: Jackie Macmullan hinting that LaMarcus Aldridge could be traded
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I saw this earlier and it would be AMAZING! I am not sure what the cost would be. It certainly sounds like Rozier would need to be included; hopefully he will be having a breakout season by the deadline. I would prefer to trade Zeller and JJ, but understand if they want Amir (although if they are rebuilding, it shouldn't matter).

Other than those guys, should we be expecting a BKN pick? Brown? I know he is older, but Aldridge is one of the top bigs in the league and should have a number of productive seasons left. Price and not disrupting our chemistry would be important, especially if the deal is done in-season. His contract is also still under the old salary structure.

I imagine it's just one of those things instead of both, as would be the case for someone like Boogie.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I don't think Aldridge is the best option for us considering we have Horford already. I don't think he fills a major need for us at this point.

Respectfully disagree. I think his game would translate amazingly well on our club and alongside Horford. I also feel that inside is where Cleveland and Golden State are vulnerable and having a Horford/Aldridge duo would be a major advantage vs both of them. Now the sticking point would be what he would actually cost to obtain.

Lamarcus Aldridge is one of the top players in the league. I don't know that he can be successfully defended when he is on.  Pop has been spoiled with Robinson and then Duncan for the past few decades.  Aldridge would have to be extremely undermining of the program in order for San Antonio to consider to trading that kind of talent. Still, if San Antonio is moving him, what would they want in return?  He'd be a helluva pick-up.
And I agree, I think he could easily play with Horford. 
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Pops always had the best BiGs in the league ....only KG and Shaq were their equals.

Aldridge does not belong in the conversation with those four.

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
If Pops doesn't want him, isn't that a big red flag in itself? kind of like when Bill Belichick dumps a guy from the Pats? It usually means he knows something we don't, especially in a league where superstars are so important.

Also, at some point we need to start asking if Aldridge is a winner.

He had a good team in Portland - Lillard is one of the best players in the league.  Batum is good. Matthews is good. He had a young McCollum. Lopez. Crabbe.

And yet they always disappointed in the playoffs.

And San Antonio wasn't great in the postseason last year.

He's not the most physical player. He's not a great defender. Maybe he's the kind of guy hwo puts up stats but doesn't deliver wins in the playoffs.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 10:12:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Pops doesn't want him, isn't that a big red flag in itself? kind of like when Bill Belichick dumps a guy from the Pats? It usually means he knows something we don't, especially in a league where superstars are so important.

He had a good team in Portland - Lillard is one of the best players in the league.  Batum is good. Matthews is good. He had a young McCollum. Lopez. Crabbe.

He's not the most physical player. He's not a great defender. Maybe he's the kind of guy hwo puts up stats but doesn't deliver wins in the playoffs.

At least he goes to the playoffs, Cousins hasn't even once proven he can do that. It is a valid question, but I don't think of him as a choke artist or anything. The same can be said about a lot of players; it is hard to win a championship.

The Blazers success last year certainly does bode well for your argument, though.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 10:12:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I would think it would take something like Amir and Zeller (for salary), Rozier  and a Brooklyn first.  Guys like him don't come cheap. 

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 10:25:53 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

At least he goes to the playoffs, Cousins hasn't even once proven he can do that. It is a valid question, but I don't think of him as a choke artist or anything. The same can be said about a lot of players; it is hard to win a championship.

The Blazers success last year certainly does bode well for your argument, though.

Boogie is quite the mystery lol. I cut him some slack because he plays for the kings, though.

Yeah, I agree with your points on Aldridge, not saying Aldridge is a choker per se, more that his skillset might not be best for the playoffs.

He reminds me a bit of Chris Bosh, except Bosh was a better defender, which is just so important for a big man. Of course it also helped that Bosh played with D-Wade and Lebron.  ;)

But we saw in that 2012 series against the Heat how much better they were with Bosh's presence, when he missed the first few games and they struggled.

I don't know that Aldridge makes that physical impact on the defensive end.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Like Aldridge but don't love him...his P n R defense is not that great.

I think he would cost too much and I already like the direction of the team.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would so much rather have Cousins than Aldridge.  Not that close for me.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So he reportedly has some issues in the Spurs camp. That, in and of itself is very odd. Hardly anyone ever clashes on Pop's team. Weren't there also some reports/rumors that he was kinda odd/difficult to deal with in Portland too?

I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Who can honestly survive under pops?

Very difficult coach to play for

If we grab LA, we have a real chance to beat the cavs

But i would like to make a trade without giving up Brown, Smart

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Please don't get my hopes up, Jackie.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Boogie is quite the mystery lol. I cut him some slack because he plays for the kings, though.

Yeah, I agree with your points on Aldridge, not saying Aldridge is a choker per se, more that his skillset might not be best for the playoffs.

He reminds me a bit of Chris Bosh, except Bosh was a better defender, which is just so important for a big man. Of course it also helped that Bosh played with D-Wade and Lebron.  ;)

But we saw in that 2012 series against the Heat how much better they were with Bosh's presence, when he missed the first few games and they struggled.

I don't know that Aldridge makes that physical impact on the defensive end.

Forgetting his 38 and 41 point back-to-back games against OKC in the playoffs. They lost, he fell off a bit after, but OKC was also on steroids last season and could've beaten an unhealthy / less motivated GS team.

Most here would be giddy if they saw him in Green. A frontcourt of he and Horford, AB contending for "most improved athlete of all time," Crowder hitting 3s, our own unicorn in Olynyk, and the leap coming from Smart... we would be at least even odds w/ CLE to win the East.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:58:35 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 04:32:14 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 06:51:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wish these trade rumors would just die.  In no hurry to trade Rozier or smart.  SA would want to build with these guys and we don't? Aldridge nice player but again another day another rumor.

jackie mac is a terrible basketball mind. she had us signing mike conley to the max this offseason and joakim noah.

lets waste some more money.
Plus they already have a guy they just drafted who would be in the Rozier/Smart category- Dejounte Murray.