Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50437 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No one here can predict if embiid will be healthy moving forward. It's also hard to argue against his talent. Don't get upset with lbbrd. He is trying to prove a point. Let him have it. If he gets hurt again them feed him crow. Arguing back and forth about this is unnecessary
Don't see where Embiid getting hurt again makes a difference regarding the Sixers drafting him.  While his injuries were, and still are, a concern, there was no medical red flag so Embiid was clearly the right choice for the Sixers at #3.  Nobody selected after him was in his league and I'd argue Wiggins and Parker were/are at least a step below him too.  So while us long time Embiid supporters will have to stop crowing if he gets injured again I see no reason we'd ever need to eat crow.
He was drafted with the expectation that his injury would heal and he'd eventually be able to play.   I had remained of the belief that he'd eventually heal and would eventually play. Everything I read suggested he'd get over the foot injury.  That's what all the back-and-forth was about last season.  Me reading reports that suggested the kid would eventually heal.  Everyone else overreacting by saying that his career was already over "cuz Oden".   The decision to get a bone graft made sense in context.  He was dominating players in practice and reported no pain, but there still remained concern that the level of healing wasn't 100% ... so they got a bone graft.  I still remained of the belief he'd eventually get healthy and play.  Others said he was a bust cuz "greg oden".

He's healthy.  He's playing.  Game over.

If he gets some other injury, that's another thing entirely.  Jaylen Brown is just as likely to blow out something by recklessly attacking the basket... I don't believe Embiid is any more "injury prone" than Marcus Smart.  If his bone graft fails, people might have a point.  But he wouldn't be playing unless he was healed.  Seems like he's healed.
Portland taking Oden was a big deal because they could have had Durant.  Portland taking Bowie was a big deal because they could have had Jordan.  Sixers taking Embiid over Exum, Gordon, Smart, Randle was a no brainer.  Because of the talent disparity, taking Embiid even with his injury concerns was a more than acceptable risk. 

« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Embiid a bit more efficient tonight going 5-9 and dropping 14 points in 15 minutes on Dwight Howard (who got 4 quick fouls trying to guard him)

That puts Embiid's stat line for his first 37 minutes of NBA action at:  34 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 blocks, 1 steal with 11-25 shooting (44%), 2-4 shooting from three (50%) and 10-12 shooting from the line (83%)

Nice start for "The Process" considering Steven Adams and Dwight Howard are both considered above-average defenders. 

« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Embiid a bit more efficient tonight going 5-9 and dropping 14 points in 15 minutes on Dwight Howard (who got 4 quick fouls trying to guard him)

That puts Embiid's stat line for his first 37 minutes of NBA action at:  34 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 blocks, 1 steal with 11-25 shooting (44%), 2-4 shooting from three (50%) and 10-12 shooting from the line (83%)

Nice start for "The Process" considering Steven Adams and Dwight Howard are both considered above-average defenders.
he may already be the best player in the league

« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

"may"?

Ye of little faith
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

At least until Ben Simmons gets back.

« Reply #215 on: October 29, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Embiid the best player already? Haha I know that the Philly love is sarcasm-trolling, but come on...

When did people fall in love with losing? I used to hate losing games as a kid, and still hate to lose playing golf with my out of shape buddies.

If I were a Philly fan, there's no way I'd be ok with such a long run of a non-professional product. Wins excite me waaaay more than potential. There are plenty of teams with talent that still stink.

« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Embiid the best player already? Haha I know that the Philly love is sarcasm-trolling, but come on...

When did people fall in love with losing? I used to hate losing games as a kid, and still hate to lose playing golf with my out of shape buddies.

If I were a Philly fan, there's no way I'd be ok with such a long run of a non-professional product. Wins excite me waaaay more than potential. There are plenty of teams with talent that still stink.
losing is the new winning!

But as far as embiid goes, he definitely looks like he could be a great player if healthy. Time will tell (as with everything)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

When the NBA incentivized it? The Sixers didn't really have a choice in 2013, they were going to be terrible regardless of what they did so they decided not to live in denial and just full on began a rebuild.

« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2016, 10:51:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

But as far as embiid goes, he definitely looks like he could be a great player if healthy. Time will tell (as with everything)
Losing sucks. Everyone hates losing. Fans hate losing, players hate losing, ownership groups hate losing.

Really thats what is so brave(?) about HInkie's plan. He came in and intentionally sucked knowing he would p--- off the entire basketball world. He also surely knew that it was entirely possible that he would be fired before Philly truly became contenders.

Hinkie had the patience and strength to stand in there and take his licks because he knew that ultimately losing would result in more winning down the line.

I hate what Hinkie did. It was a disgrace to basketball and bad for the NBA, but it was always clear, that if executed correctly, that disgrace could result in more wins down the line.

Hinkie was able to look at fans like yourself and say basically, "I know better than you"

Its commendable in that regard.

However, I hope it fails fantastically. I hope Embiid has no career with Philly. I hope Noel walks I hope they are forced to trade Okafor and start over with the entire coaching staff and front office turned over from the HInkie era.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Losing sucks. Everyone hates losing. Fans hate losing, players hate losing, ownership groups hate losing.

Really thats what is so brave(?) about HInkie's plan. He came in and intentionally sucked knowing he would p--- off the entire basketball world. He also surely knew that it was entirely possible that he would be fired before Philly truly became contenders.

Hinkie had the patience and strength to stand in there and take his licks because he knew that ultimately losing would result in more winning down the line.

I hate what Hinkie did. It was a disgrace to basketball and bad for the NBA, but it was always clear, that if executed correctly, that disgrace could result in more wins down the line.

Hinkie was able to look at fans like yourself and say basically, "I know better than you"

However, I hope it fails fantastically. I hope Embiid has no career with Philly. I hope Noel walks I hope they are forced to trade Okafor and start over with the entire coaching staff and front office turned over from the HInkie era.

Simmons, Okafor, Embiid, Noel... I'd say it has already worked.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Okafor is gonna be a bench player long term. Even a lot of philly fans acknowledge that. There is also a very good chance Noel has played his last game as a 76er. Embiid looks awesome and Simmons is very highly touted, it is kind of insulting to lump Noel and Okafor in with them. It's like saying the Celtics had a big 4 of pierce, kg, Allen and posey.

« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Okafor is gonna be a bench player long term. Even a lot of philly fans acknowledge that. There is also a very good chance Noel has played his last game as a 76er. Embiid looks awesome and Simmons is very highly touted, it is kind of insulting to lump Noel and Okafor in with them. It's like saying the Celtics had a big 4 of pierce, kg, Allen and posey.

Fair enough. Okafor, as much as I think he has nowhere near the value of Smart (or Rozier even), is more than a bench player though.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2016, 03:36:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Okafor is gonna be a bench player long term.
That's silly.  He's far too talented offensively for that to be the case.  I get that you're overreacting to his first two games this season.  He hadn't played basketball since February.  He's got a 12 minute restriction.   It's foolish to judge him based on two obviously rusty minute-restricted games.  We saw what he could do last season.  He has several things he needs to work on, but he's clearly a force offensively.  Look at his last 23 game last season prior to his injury.  He averaged 17.8 points with 60% shooting in 27.7mpg.  This while having basically no teammates and commanding double teams.  His floor remains Al Jefferson.  He's still only 20 years old.  I dunno if he'll fit with Embiid or if they'll eventually trade him, but to assume a First-Team All Rookie who shows obvious signs of potential stardom is a "long term bench player" is just kinda silly.  You've bought into the exaggerated anti-Okafor hype.

« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2016, 03:44:00 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
The process of continually losing games for years and embedding a loser culture into your whole roster and fanbase.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Okafor is gonna be a bench player long term.
That's silly.  He's far too talented offensively for that to be the case.  I get that you're overreacting to his first two games this season.  He hadn't played basketball since February.  He's got a 12 minute restriction.   It's foolish to judge him based on two obviously rusty minute-restricted games.  We saw what he could do last season.  He has several things he needs to work on, but he's clearly a force offensively.  Look at his last 23 game last season prior to his injury.  He averaged 17.8 points with 60% shooting in 27.7mpg.  This while having basically no teammates and commanding double teams.  His floor remains Al Jefferson.  He's still only 20 years old.  I dunno if he'll fit with Embiid or if they'll eventually trade him, but to assume a First-Team All Rookie who shows obvious signs of potential stardom is a "long term bench player" is just kinda silly.  You've bought into the exaggerated anti-Okafor hype.

Like I said LB, this isn't just me that is saying thIS. This is what a large number of fans say on Liberty Ballers. Just yesterday there was a post there I was reading where the Philly fans were saying he had to significantly improve his rebounding to be comparable to a 20 year old Al Jefferson. It isn't some huge indictment to suggest he would be a good scoring big off the bench.
Enes Kanter isn't a bad player and he helped OKC in the playoffs last year. He scores 12 points and gets 6 rebounds in just 19 minutes a game this year. If you do your famous per 36 averages he is a 20-10 guy. He was also a number 3 pick and in the one year he got 30 minutes like Okafor did (immediately after arriving in OKC) he got really great averages of 18.7 and 11 rebounds (better numbers than Okafor last year). However, like Okafor he really struggles on defense which impacts the lineups he can play with and his overall minutes.

It is not like these decisions were made on Kanter when he was 28 and had been given 9 years to figure it out on defense. He is 24 now and has been a bench player the last years. Is it really that outlandish to think that a similar decision could be made on Okafor? I think the most likely situation is that he stays in Philly and plays a few minutes on the floor with Embiid but mostly provides offense off the bench. Is that glamorous? No... but it's not like I am saying some extremely anti-Okafor thing in believing this point.

I get he is your Binkie and all, but let's not pretend I am the only person that sees this path for him. Neither outlook for his career is "silly."