Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50373 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike
.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day.

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike
except Schwarber wasn't medically cleared to play in the OF.  Ooops.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2016, 01:27:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike
It's cute that people here are still making assumptions about Embiid without researching the situation.  He's fully cleared.  They are limiting his minutes for obvious reasons... he hasn't played in two years and they want to slowly integrate him back.   It's not like doubling his minutes will make his foot break.

Recent article:
His workload increasing gradually each time out, but the limits they placed and will place on him are a function more of his need to get in proper cardiovascular shape for an 82-game season. Those restrictions are not about any lingering concern that he might reinjure his right foot

FYI, Jahlil Okafor hasn't played in months.  He's was on a 12 minute restriction and played 16.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:54:49 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Not at all - if he can stay healthy and keep looking as good as he has so far, I've got no problems admitting I made a bad call.

Some people have trouble accepting when they make a wrong prediction - I have no problem with it.
This is Hinkie, Saric and Embiid. Who is the 4th person?

« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Mike

Mike
It's cute that people here are still making assumptions about Embiid without researching the situation.  He's fully cleared.  They are limiting his minutes for obvious reasons... he hasn't played in two years and they want to slowly integrate him back.   It's not like doubling his minutes will make his foot break.

Recent article:
His workload increasing gradually each time out, but the limits they placed and will place on him are a function more of his need to get in proper cardiovascular shape for an 82-game season. Those restrictions are not about any lingering concern that he might reinjure his right foot

FYI, Jahlil Okafor hasn't played in months.  He's was on a 12 minute restriction and played 16.

Embiid has had an entire year to "get in proper cardivascular shape." 

Hey, I hope Embiid turns into a good player.  It's not like he's done anything wrong and it's always a shame when injury destroys a promising career.  We might want to see if he can make it until the all star break injury-free before making reservations for Embiid's hall of fame induction.  And of course, one would think the current situations of Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis might puncture any dreams that Embiid guarantees Philly a title.

Mike

« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

No he hasn't.  Per usual, you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

This is Hinkie, Saric and Embiid. Who is the 4th person?
It's Doctor Strange and Eleven from "Stranger Things".   You can sense that for people like MBunge, a world with a healthy and productive Embiid is like stepping into the "Upside Down".  Mike probably thinks he's in an episode of "Black Mirror".  A scary and frightening land where players who can't use their foot for 2 years are not able to work into proper NBA cardiovascular shape in a few weeks of limited scrimmages.

« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

Hey, I hope Embiid turns into a good player.  It's not like he's done anything wrong and it's always a shame when injury destroys a promising career.  We might want to see if he can make it until the all star break injury-free before making reservations for Embiid's hall of fame induction.  And of course, one would think the current situations of Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis might puncture any dreams that Embiid guarantees Philly a title.

Mike
Embiid didn't start practicing 5 on 5 until 2 or 3 months ago. 

Nothing guarantees a championship.  Not even GSW picking up KD.  The Sixers are in much better shape than the Kings or the Pels.  They have Embiid and Simmons as their potential stars and have a lot of assets to use to build around those two. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:42:53 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

No he hasn't.  Per usual, you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

And per usual, you over-dramatize and make up stuff to fit your narrative (and ego). Nobody is making definitve, absolute statements about Embiid except for you and your little backwater cult.

http://aboutcommonsense.com/index.php/fallacies/

If I had to take you seriously, over half of the fallacies on that list would apply to you, but especially the Sharpshooter fallacy.

The Sharpshooter Fallacy gets its name from the case of someone shooting a rifle at the side of the barn and then going over and drawing a target and bulls eye concentrically around the bullet hole. Someone who makes many predictions is likely to get some of them right. If when they get one right they loudly use it as proof that they can predict the future, and quietly ignore all the times they got it wrong, then they are guilty of this fallacy.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

And per usual, you over-dramatize and make up stuff to fit your narrative (and ego). Nobody is making definitve, absolute statements about Embiid except for you and your little backwater cult.

If I had to take you seriously, over half of the fallacies on that list would apply to you, but especially the Sharpshooter fallacy.

The Sharpshooter Fallacy gets its name from the case of someone shooting a rifle at the side of the barn and then going over and drawing a target and bulls eye concentrically around the bullet hole. Someone who makes many predictions is likely to get some of them right. If when they get one right they loudly use it as proof that they can predict the future, and quietly ignore all the times they got it wrong, then they are guilty of this fallacy.

Am I part of the backwater cult? Who are the members?

« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

First rule of the tank club is: You do not admit you're part of the tank club.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
No one here can predict if embiid will be healthy moving forward. It's also hard to argue against his talent. Don't get upset with lbbrd. He is trying to prove a point. Let him have it. If he gets hurt again them feed him crow. Arguing back and forth about this is unnecessary

« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Mike

Mike

Mike

Recent article:

First rule of the tank club is: You do not admit you're part of the tank club.

I don't know why  you're calling them the tankclub since it's been proven over time having a bad team works...celtics have been bad on multiple occasions. Thunder tanked for sure. Now Hinkie took it to the extreme, but he isn't a genius for it. His ownership allowed him to do it. No other ownership would allow that type of blatant tanking. So we can give Hinkie credit for taking the easy way out.

« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No one here can predict if embiid will be healthy moving forward. It's also hard to argue against his talent. Don't get upset with lbbrd. He is trying to prove a point. Let him have it. If he gets hurt again them feed him crow. Arguing back and forth about this is unnecessary
Don't see where Embiid getting hurt again makes a difference regarding the Sixers drafting him.  While his injuries were, and still are, a concern, there was no medical red flag so Embiid was clearly the right choice for the Sixers at #3.  Nobody selected after him was in his league and I'd argue Wiggins and Parker were/are at least a step below him too.  So while us long time Embiid supporters will have to stop crowing if he gets injured again I see no reason we'd ever need to eat crow. 

« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Don't see where Embiid getting hurt again makes a difference regarding the Sixers drafting him.  While his injuries were, and still are, a concern, there was no medical red flag so Embiid was clearly the right choice for the Sixers at #3.  Nobody selected after him was in his league and I'd argue Wiggins and Parker were/are at least a step below him too.  So while us long time Embiid supporters will have to stop crowing if he gets injured again I see no reason we'd ever need to eat crow.
He was drafted with the expectation that his injury would heal and he'd eventually be able to play.   I had remained of the belief that he'd eventually heal and would eventually play. Everything I read suggested he'd get over the foot injury.  That's what all the back-and-forth was about last season.  Me reading reports that suggested the kid would eventually heal.  Everyone else overreacting by saying that his career was already over "cuz Oden".   The decision to get a bone graft made sense in context.  He was dominating players in practice and reported no pain, but there still remained concern that the level of healing wasn't 100% ... so they got a bone graft.  I still remained of the belief he'd eventually get healthy and play.  Others said he was a bust cuz "greg oden".

He's healthy.  He's playing.  Game over.

If he gets some other injury, that's another thing entirely.  Jaylen Brown is just as likely to blow out something by recklessly attacking the basket... I don't believe Embiid is any more "injury prone" than Marcus Smart.  If his bone graft fails, people might have a point.  But he wouldn't be playing unless he was healed.  Seems like he's healed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:45:47 PM by LarBrd33 »