Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50426 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Embiid's NBA Debut:  20 points, 7 boards and 2 blocks in 22 minutes.

76ers fans were chanting "MVP" while he shot free throws.  Lol.  They lost a close one to the Thunder.
Highlights of his debut:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LZVtXKqyGg

Impressive

At the end of that clip the look on Jahlil Okafor's face says something along the lines of:

"Man, I'm out of a job :'( "

I could see Noel and Embiid co-existing thanks to Noel's defence/rebounding/quickness, which I think would actually compliment Embiid's game pretty well. 

The only thing Okafor does well, on the other hand, is score in the post.  And Embiid already like a better post scorer then Okafor.  Which renders Jahlil's game...pretty much completely redundant.
Okafor is a better post scorer right now.  He's refined his offense over the years and knows what works.  Embiid has elite potential but he's still figuring out his game.  A few times he tried to make too many moves against Adams rather than just going up strong.  Noel and Embiid should work but Noel has to play PF which he failed badly at last year.  I think it is a mental block rather than physical.  I think Okafor and Embiid could work well offensively.  Having two good offense bigs puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's defense.  It really doesn't matter because eventually they're going to want to start Simmons at PF. 

I didn't have any doubt about Embiid's success from watching his college play.  He made remarkable progress from raw talent to offensive and defensive stud.  You just don't see a young big man make that much progress over such a short period of time.  Before his injury, Embiid completely overshadowed Wiggins.  Now it looks like he's made significant progress during his 2 year recovery. 

« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike
.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day.

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike
They should absolutely be precautionary with Embiid.  Brown already made comments like they might pull back from the B2B restriction.  They need to stick with the plan.  They weren't making the playoffs before Simmons got injured.  There's absolutely no benefit to having Embiid play 80 games at 30 MPG.  60-65 games at 24 MPG is plenty for his first season.  Okafor, Noel and Holmes can use those extra minutes.   

« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
On a scale of 1-10, how hot-takey is this? IF Joel Embiid remains healthy, he will be a Hall-of-Famer. I'm pretty sure I believe this.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process

Some folks might enjoy this article.
TP for the article. Hopefully Embiid will have a long dominating career.  He's going to be extremely marketable.
He's extremely likeable.  I wish Ainge had been successful in his attempts to trade up and get him in 2014, but I understand why Philly turned us down.

This video Vice did with him is pretty good:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9CsDFLG4o  ... Guy is probably the funniest NBA player I've seen since early Rondo.  I have no love for Philly, but I'm rooting for Embiid to stay healthy.

Delusional...

Embiid's NBA Debut:  20 points, 7 boards and 2 blocks in 22 minutes.

76ers fans were chanting "MVP" while he shot free throws.  Lol.  They lost a close one to the Thunder.
Highlights of his debut:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LZVtXKqyGg

Impressive
The highlights are impressive, as are the raw numbers for his first game. 6/16 from the floor isn't exactly what you want from your center, though. His percentages in preseason were pretty bad, too. I suppose it's good he's got the confidence to keep going and he'll almost surely get more efficient. He's still got a ways to go, though.
he definitely has a ways to go.  He didn't start playing basketball until 2010 and missed the last two years to injury.  He was never thought to be a finished product.  But his raw skills, mobility and size are undeniable.  The hype is real.  He has the makings of a superstar.  That's what "the process" is all about.    Considering he missed the last two years to injury and is working through considrable rust, his debut performance was pretty amazing.  He hit two huge shots under pressure in the final minutes as well.  He almost drove to get a 3 point play as well, but it was an offensive foul.   Undeniably impressive.

...and sad.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:40:28 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:40:49 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
our rebounding is disgraceful

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Okafor is a better post scorer right now.  He's refined his offense over the years and knows what works.  Embiid has elite potential but he's still figuring out his game.  A few times he tried to make too many moves against Adams rather than just going up strong. 

Not sure I agree, but you have the right to your opinion.

Watching both play, Embiid appear to have a far greater array of moves.  While Okafor tends to just try to use his bulk and size to back guys down and shoot over them  from 5 feet away...Embiid has the hooks, the up and unders, the fadeaway jumpers - everything looks comfortable.

Of course it's going to take time for him to get used to NBA competition and get comfortable, but his superior mobility and greater array of moves in the paint make him a superior post scorer IMHO.

Okafor is just too darn slow and predictable.  If he's up against a smaller guy then he'll get his points by just shooting over him, but if he's up against an intelligent defender with some size he's going to struggle. 

Embiid on the other hand - he has so many different moves that you just don't know what he's going to pull out, and that will make him incredibly difficult to defend.   

Noel and Embiid should work but Noel has to play PF which he failed badly at last year. 

The only reason it worked badly last year is because he was playing alongside Okafor.  When you have one guy who can't score and one guy who can't defend - and neither of those two guys can stretch the floor - then it's a recipe for disaster.

Put Noel alongside big with an inside/out game and I think he'd be just fine - much like our current Amir/Horford arrangement.

I think it is a mental block rather than physical.  I think Okafor and Embiid could work well offensively.  Having two good offense bigs puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's defense.  It really doesn't matter because eventually they're going to want to start Simmons at PF. 

I'm not so sure.

Problem with Okafor is that he is utterly 100% mediocre (or worse) in every single aspect of the game aside from post scoring.  You could theoretically play him alongside Embiid, but as good as Embiid is - he still isn't the quickest guy around laterally.  That front court would probably struggle defending any team that has one or two quick and/or stretch bigs. 

With Embiid's ability as a rebounder and rim protector, you really want to keep him close to the basket.  That means whoever plays alongside him needs to have the defensive mobility / versatility to be able to chase quicker bigs and challenge stretch bigs on the perimeter.  Okafor can't do that, so if you put him in at PF you forced to pull Embiid away from the basket and chase people around the perimeter.  Not only is that probably a bad idea health wise for Embiid, it's also counter-productive because you're leaving Okafor (a poor rebounder and so-so rim protector) close to the basket.

By playing Noel alongside Embiid you have a quick guy who can defend all 5 positions and chase guys around all day on D, allowing Embiid to stay close to the basket and protect the paint.

Neither guy is a perfect combination with Embiid, but Noel is the better fit of the two.

« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Not at all - if he can stay healthy and keep looking as good as he has so far, I've got no problems admitting I made a bad call.

Some people have trouble accepting when they make a wrong prediction - I have no problem with it. 

« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2016, 11:38:33 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike
.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day.

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike

It's got more to do with conditioning than the foot. He hasn't played basketball since March(I think, might have been Feb) 2014.

I don't really see that as a red flag, especially when they have 4 young Centers who need minutes.

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Not at all - if he can stay healthy and keep looking as good as he has so far, I've got no problems admitting I made a bad call.
There were several posters here who wrote off Embiid already.  They called him a bust "cuz Greg Oden".   Many thought he'd never play.   Some people here thought he wasn't worth a late 1st round pick.   There were people who honestly believed Joel Embiid's superstar potential was a myth.   Clearly, it's not a myth.   I checked Snopes.com and they confirm Joel Embiid is a future superstar:

http://www.snopes.com/sixers/players/embiidsuperstar.asp

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:53 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Talent was never a question with this kid. The question is his durability and long-term health. Can his feet sustain many seasons of 82+ games? Will he be healthy all season long?

There are only two paths for the guy.

The Steph Curry/ Bill Walton route - Brought championship to his team and earned some MVP awards in his healthy season with multiple All-Star and All-NBA appearances

or

The Sam Bowie/Greg Oden - Very talented player who never reach stardom due to poor health condition. By the time they were healthy, their physical profile are no longer with them.

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2016, 02:58:26 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

How could anyone call him a bust if he just played his first NBA game? As mr.dee said, the question is his durability, not his talent.
Do you remember how Greg Oden looked during his first season?

But keep making up stuff if it helps you sleep at night, clown.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:04:53 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

How could anyone call him a bust if he just played his first NBA game? As mr.dee said, the question is his durability, not his talent.

I saw in your profile you live in Germany. I hear you guys are well known for your sense of humor. 

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

I saw in your profile you live in Germany. I hear you guys are well known for your sense of humor.

Of course, no arguments, as usual.

3 down, 7 to go.