Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50374 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process

Some folks might enjoy this article.
TP for the article. Hopefully Embiid will have a long dominating career.  He's going to be extremely marketable.
He's extremely likeable.  I wish Ainge had been successful in his attempts to trade up and get him in 2014, but I understand why Philly turned us down.

This video Vice did with him is pretty good:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9CsDFLG4o  ... Guy is probably the funniest NBA player I've seen since early Rondo.  I have no love for Philly, but I'm rooting for Embiid to stay healthy.

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Embiid's NBA Debut:  20 points, 7 boards and 2 blocks in 22 minutes.

76ers fans were chanting "MVP" while he shot free throws.  Lol.  They lost a close one to the Thunder.

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2016, 01:17:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

76ers fans were chanting "MVP" while he shot free throws.  Lol.  They lost a close one to the Thunder.
Highlights of his debut:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LZVtXKqyGg

Impressive

« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2016, 01:34:25 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Looks like he'll have a pretty good career. Good for him.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree - I was doubtful of Embiid myself after what I saw of him in college, but there's no doubt he looks pretty good right now.

Not often you see a guy THAT big who can play in the paint, shoot from outside, rebound and defend.  If his health holds up, he could potentially become a better version of Demarcus Cousins - and that is a pretty scary proposition.

Good luck to the kid.

« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Impressive

At the end of that clip the look on Jahlil Okafor's face says something along the lines of:

"Man, I'm out of a job :'( "

I could see Noel and Embiid co-existing thanks to Noel's defence/rebounding/quickness, which I think would actually compliment Embiid's game pretty well. 

The only thing Okafor does well, on the other hand, is score in the post.  And Embiid already like a better post scorer then Okafor.  Which renders Jahlil's game...pretty much completely redundant.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:42:02 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike

« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

Impressive
The highlights are impressive, as are the raw numbers for his first game. 6/16 from the floor isn't exactly what you want from your center, though. His percentages in preseason were pretty bad, too. I suppose it's good he's got the confidence to keep going and he'll almost surely get more efficient. He's still got a ways to go, though.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I wish nothing but the best for the kid but that he's still obviously on a minutes restriction is a warning light that shouldn't be ignored.

Mike
I don't think I would call that a warning light.  He hasn't played competitive basketball in like 2.5 years, it takes a long time to come back from an injury especially one that loses that much time.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Impressive

At the end of that clip the look on Jahlil Okafor's face says something along the lines of:

I could see Noel and Embiid co-existing thanks to Noel's defence/rebounding/quickness, which I think would actually compliment Embiid's game pretty well. 

The only thing Okafor does well, on the other hand, is score in the post.  And Embiid already like a better post scorer then Okafor.  Which renders Jahlil's game...pretty much completely redundant.

You gotta think Okafor's trade value is gonna drop. Might be able to add him at the deadline?

« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Impressive

You gotta think Okafor's trade value is gonna drop. Might be able to add him at the deadline?

Why do we think Okafor only played 16 minutes? Where does Noel fit?

Edit: I guess he was probably benched for launching 10 shots in 16 minutes and having 3 turnovers. 

« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Impressive

okafor was on a 12 min restriction because he's coming back from injury.  He played more minutes than he was supposed to.  He missed training camp and basically all of preseason.   There seems to be some belief those two might be able to play together because of embiid's ability to step out and shoot.  Noel is likely the odd man out.

« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Impressive
The highlights are impressive, as are the raw numbers for his first game. 6/16 from the floor isn't exactly what you want from your center, though. His percentages in preseason were pretty bad, too. I suppose it's good he's got the confidence to keep going and he'll almost surely get more efficient. He's still got a ways to go, though.
he definitely has a ways to go.  He didn't start playing basketball until 2010 and missed the last two years to injury.  He was never thought to be a finished product.  But his raw skills, mobility and size are undeniable.  The hype is real.  He has the makings of a superstar.  That's what "the process" is all about.    Considering he missed the last two years to injury and is working through considrable rust, his debut performance was pretty amazing.  He hit two huge shots under pressure in the final minutes as well.  He almost drove to get a 3 point play as well, but it was an offensive foul.   Undeniably impressive.

« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day.

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike

« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike
.  That sort of thing happens in every sport every single day.

Not when you are 22 and the injury was over a year ago.  The Cubs are throwing a 23-year-old back in the outfield who blew out his knee in April.

It could turn out to be just precautionary but I think the plan going into the season was for Embiid to not play back-to-backs.  That smacks of something a little more than caution.

Mike

Mike
This must be particularly tough for you Mike.  You never trusted the process. 

They recently came out and said that he might play back to backs. If Embiid had it his way, he'd play 48 minutes per night.  The 20-25 minute restriction isn't expected to be season long.   I get why you are uncomfortable.