Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50431 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Here's his preseason highlights: https://youtu.be/Q7HLTPw687c

For a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years and has grown a few inches since then, it's actually pretty remarkable how good he looks this early.  As a fan of the game, I'd like to see him stay healthy because Towns vs Embiid will be must-see TV for the next decade or two.
I see one assist. He has very little court awareness. He leaves his man way too often to paint patrol and jumps early. He is going to be exploited.
He's had a few others that ended with his teammate getting fouled or missing the shot like this one:  https://vine.co/v/5XQIjZn1qpV   

Embiid is raw but he has court awareness.  They've mainly focused on getting him acclimated so far.  They haven't done much to build a team offense around him.  He'll definitely have to continue to work on his passing as I expect him to face a lot of double teams.
To me he is very rusty or he doesn't get it cause he doesn't look good in terms of team play. A black hole similar to Whiteside. We will find out soon enough if he stays healthy if it is indeed rust. For now compare him Whiteside instead of Hakeem.
Of course he's rusty.  He's been out injured for two years and just started 5-on-5 practicing a couple months ago.  In college, Embiid averaged 1.4 assists in 23 minutes.  As I said, the Sixers haven't been focused on their team offense so far not that they've had much of a team offense these past 3 years.  They're really in a holding pattern until Simmons gets back because they him to run their offense.
Holding pattern and a bunch of wishful thinking is why I said their rebuild hasn't gone well. They have nothing solid to show for it right now.
this briefly sums it up for me. the sixers have accumulated some good pieces, though they are currently quite mismatched in terms of talents and positions.

one question i have is whether the sixers can they hang on to their young players. what good does it do to acquire a talent such as noel if he simply walks away? and as we have seen, noel and okufar are not fetching top dollar from other teams.

the philly rebuild has been going for a while, but still a long way to go yet.

next, as if often the case on internet boards, rookies are frequently viewed in the best of light. saric, to me, looks good, but not a super star. but then, that may be best for the sixer team for now. they are so disfunctional as TEAM that they need someone who can be a "glue guy". maybe saric will be it.

embiid does look to be very good and should be fun to watch. but that is 100% a guess and a hope and a wing and a prayer by me and everyone else who thinks similarly. we simply dont know if he will be healthy, or greg oden II. none of us know.

will embiid turn out to be kwame brown, or akeem, or olowakandi, or duncan? or somewhere in between those extremes? we have no idea right now and saying we do know is silly.

so, if is fun to watch young potential waiting in the wings, but i am not sure why either seeming side of the "sixer debate" feel as if they have to generate final judgements before embiid or saric have played a single nba game.

much to this thread is premature conjucture by many parties. let's wait, watch the games, and see.
I was all for the process I just disagree with Hinkie's draft picks. Even the Simmons selection I thought Ingram was better suited for that club.

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

For a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years and has grown a few inches since then, it's actually pretty remarkable how good he looks this early.  As a fan of the game, I'd like to see him stay healthy because Towns vs Embiid will be must-see TV for the next decade or two.
I see one assist. He has very little court awareness. He leaves his man way too often to paint patrol and jumps early. He is going to be exploited.
He's had a few others that ended with his teammate getting fouled or missing the shot like this one:  https://vine.co/v/5XQIjZn1qpV   

Embiid is raw but he has court awareness.  They've mainly focused on getting him acclimated so far.  They haven't done much to build a team offense around him.  He'll definitely have to continue to work on his passing as I expect him to face a lot of double teams.
To me he is very rusty or he doesn't get it cause he doesn't look good in terms of team play. A black hole similar to Whiteside. We will find out soon enough if he stays healthy if it is indeed rust. For now compare him Whiteside instead of Hakeem.
Of course he's rusty.  He's been out injured for two years and just started 5-on-5 practicing a couple months ago.  In college, Embiid averaged 1.4 assists in 23 minutes.  As I said, the Sixers haven't been focused on their team offense so far not that they've had much of a team offense these past 3 years.  They're really in a holding pattern until Simmons gets back because they him to run their offense.
Holding pattern and a bunch of wishful thinking is why I said their rebuild hasn't gone well. They have nothing solid to show for it right now.
this briefly sums it up for me. the sixers have accumulated some good pieces, though they are currently quite mismatched in terms of talents and positions.

one question i have is whether the sixers can they hang on to their young players. what good does it do to acquire a talent such as noel if he simply walks away? and as we have seen, noel and okufar are not fetching top dollar from other teams.

next, as if often the case on internet boards, rookies are frequently viewed in the best of light. saric, to me, looks good, but not a super star. but then, that may be best for the sixer team for now. they are so disfunctional as TEAM that they need someone who can be a "glue guy". maybe saric will be it.

embiid does look to be very good and should be fun to watch. but that is 100% a guess and a hope and a wing and a prayer by me and everyone else who thinks similarly. we simply dont know if he will be healthy, or greg oden II. none of us know.

will embiid turn out to be kwame brown, or akeem, or olowakandi, or duncan? or somewhere in between those extremes? we have no idea right now and saying we do know is silly.

so, if is fun to watch young potential waiting in the wings, but i am not sure why either seeming side of the "sixer debate" feel as if they have to generate final judgements before embiid or saric have played a single nba game.

much to this thread is premature conjucture by many parties. let's wait, watch the games, and see.
I was all for the process I just disagree with Hinkie's draft picks. Even the Simmons selection I thought Ingram was better suited for that club.
Other than taking MCW instead of the Greek Freak, I think Hinkie's picks were solid.  Colangelo, not Hinkie, selected Simmons.  I love Ingram as a prospect but Simmons was the correct choice for them.  Now if I were them, I'd offer the Lakers Okafor and the Laker's 1st back for Ingram.  Ingram, Simmons and Embiid would be a hell of a young core with very complimentary skillsets.   

« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Other than taking MCW instead of the Greek Freak, I think Hinkie's picks were solid.  Colangelo, not Hinkie, selected Simmons.  I love Ingram as a prospect but Simmons was the correct choice for them.  Now if I were them, I'd offer the Lakers Okafor and the Laker's 1st back for Ingram.  Ingram, Simmons and Embiid would be a hell of a young core with very complimentary skillsets.
I'd gone Giannis, Smart, Porzingis, Ingram. I also question their other non top picks. They missed opportunities there too. Look if they made all the right picks Hinkie would have his job still. No point in trying to debate me on it. The facts are his picks haven't done anything in the NBA of merit and he lost his job.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:58:49 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'd gone Giannis, Smart, Porzingis, Ingram. I also question their other non top picks. They missed opportunities there too. Look if they made all the right picks Hinkie would have his job still. No point in trying to debate me on it. The fact are his picks haven't done anything in the NBA of mert and he lost his job.

Noel, Embiid and Simmons were widely acknowledged as the picks almost anyone would have made at those spots in the draft.  Even Okafor seemed like the right choice at #3.

The problem with Hinkie's plan was they didn't get lucky enough.  Philly would look a heck of a lot better with Oladipo and Townes or Russell instead of Noel and Okafor.  The other problem was Hinkie's obsession with making the team as bad as possible, which wound up hurting the value of Noel and Okafor and left them with remarkably few assets after 3+ years of tanking.  They have a core of high quality assets but literally nothing outside that core to offer anyone.

Mike

« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'd gone Giannis, Smart, Porzingis, Ingram. I also question their other non top picks. They missed opportunities there too. Look if they made all the right picks Hinkie would have his job still. No point in trying to debate me on it. The facts are his picks haven't done anything in the NBA of merit and he lost his job.
I can understand Porzingis and Ingram but Smart isn't in Embiid's league.  Smart is probably still having nightmares of Embiid's block party on him in college.   

« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I'd gone Giannis, Smart, Porzingis, Ingram. I also question their other non top picks. They missed opportunities there too. Look if they made all the right picks Hinkie would have his job still. No point in trying to debate me on it. The fact are his picks haven't done anything in the NBA of mert and he lost his job.

Noel, Embiid and Simmons were widely acknowledged as the picks almost anyone would have made at those spots in the draft.  Even Okafor seemed like the right choice at #3.

The problem with Hinkie's plan was they didn't get lucky enough.  Philly would look a heck of a lot better with Oladipo and Townes or Russell instead of Noel and Okafor.  The other problem was Hinkie's obsession with making the team as bad as possible, which wound up hurting the value of Noel and Okafor and left them with remarkably few assets after 3+ years of tanking.  They have a core of high quality assets but literally nothing outside that core to offer anyone.

Mike
It's not all lucks fault though too many misses. I made my point, his picks haven't been good enough for him to keep his job. And we have Philly fans on here talking about Simmons like he is LeBron and Embid like he is Hakeem when neither has done anything. Give me a break. And can we even call it a core when they don't fit each other?

« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Mike
Noel was acquired as the 6th pick via the Jrue Holiday trade with NOP not via tanking.  Hinkie had no shot at Oladipo since he was drafted 2nd in that draft.  The Embiid re-injury and then the Lakers taking Russell was what threw a monkey wrench in the equation.  That made it very difficult to pass on the sure thing Okafor to take the higher upside project Porzigis. 

Besides Simmons, Embiid, Okafor and Noel, they have Saric who just may end up being better than Smart.  Last draft, they snagged two nice prospects:  Luwawu and Kormaz.  They have the Lakers 1st and Kings 1st in addition to all their own 1sts.  So they have plenty of assets including the best cap space in the league. 

« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I get that injuries are a setback but I think it's silly to suggest they have been unlucky.  In my opinion they have been super lucky.  The three guys they tanked for all have star potential.  Both our teams tanked in 2013-14... we ended up with a role player meanwhile a potentially transcendent player fell into their lap at #3 because of his injury.  The next year they again end up #3 and a surefire stud in okafor once again falls in their lap.  Then this year they end up with the #1 pick and select another tracendent prospect in Ben Simmons. They compare that kid to magic Johnson and lebron.  That's crazy lucky. 

As far as Noel ... whatever.  They traded holiday for Noel and saric which helped them get Embiid.  But since we are on the topic...  saric for holiday straight up right now...  Who says no?

« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Calling Okafor a surefire stud is nonsense. He'd get played off the floor in a playoff series.

A lot would have changed if Russell and Okafor flip flopped for the Sixers, That roster would actually be pretty well balanced.

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2016, 07:40:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I get that injuries are a setback but I think it's silly to suggest they have been unlucky.  In my opinion they have been super lucky.  The three guys they tanked for all have star potential.  Both our teams tanked in 2013-14... we ended up with a role player meanwhile a potentially transcendent player fell into their lap at #3 because of his injury.  The next year they again end up #3 and a surefire stud in okafor once again falls in their lap.  Then this year they end up with the #1 pick and select another tracendent prospect in Ben Simmons. They compare that kid to magic Johnson and lebron.  That's crazy lucky. 

As far as Noel ... whatever.  They traded holiday for Noel and saric which helped them get Embiid.  But since we are on the topic...  saric for holiday straight up right now...  Who says no?
The Holiday trade was perhaps the only thing you could completely legitimately criticize Philly for because they hid some of his injury history which has ended up derailing a very promising career.

I highly doubt Nola pulls the trigger on that deal if they know Holiday is an injury risk.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The Holiday trade was perhaps the only thing you could completely legitimately criticize Philly for because they hid some of his injury history which has ended up derailing a very promising career.

I highly doubt Nola pulls the trigger on that deal if they know Holiday is an injury risk.
yeah they robbed the pelicans for sure.

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process

Some folks might enjoy this article.

nice read. This guy kind of seems like everything Okafor is not. If he is healthy I think he will be really good.

« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

That was awesome.  Going to always look at him completely different now.  I've gotta acquire this guy in fantasy hoops just because I'll feel good rooting for him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2016, 06:51:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

TP for the article. Hopefully Embiid will have a long dominating career.  He's going to be extremely marketable.