Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50422 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I wouldn't say the 76ers rebuild looks good at all. So many physical set backs for their top prospects and a log jam for the team. Noel and Okafor are as promising as Smart right now. And what is Smart like our 5th best player? On that bad team Smart would be able to jack up shots getting 16pts a night easy as MCW did. 76ers are all future potential absolutely nothing for them is concrete. People talk about them like they are the Wolves. Now Wolves have players that are very young with potential that have actually shown they can play in the league. Hell right now Knicks have a better prospect than any player on the 76ers and it took them one shot. The 76ers rebuild was heavily dependant not just on drafting potential but actually hitting on them which is why Hinkie is gone. So far that's a big zero for the 76ers.
if smart can get healthy he looks like he has a nice future as a role player.  Maybe more - if he can stay healthy.  I think he still has potential potential. 

But it would take mountains of assets in addition to smart to get a prospect like Embiid or Simmons.  Okafor was first team all rookie last year.  Kid looks like he can be a future star.  Hard to get a read on his trade value, but id assume they'd want a lot more than just Smart.
Embiid isn't good

Nah, he's great.

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2016, 01:22:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wouldn't say the 76ers rebuild looks good at all. So many physical set backs for their top prospects and a log jam for the team. Noel and Okafor are as promising as Smart right now. And what is Smart like our 5th best player? On that bad team Smart would be able to jack up shots getting 16pts a night easy as MCW did. 76ers are all future potential absolutely nothing for them is concrete. People talk about them like they are the Wolves. Now Wolves have players that are very young with potential that have actually shown they can play in the league. Hell right now Knicks have a better prospect than any player on the 76ers and it took them one shot. The 76ers rebuild was heavily dependant not just on drafting potential but actually hitting on them which is why Hinkie is gone. So far that's a big zero for the 76ers.
if smart can get healthy he looks like he has a nice future as a role player.  Maybe more - if he can stay healthy.  I think he still has potential potential. 

But it would take mountains of assets in addition to smart to get a prospect like Embiid or Simmons.  Okafor was first team all rookie last year.  Kid looks like he can be a future star.  Hard to get a read on his trade value, but id assume they'd want a lot more than just Smart.
Embiid isn't good

Nah, he's great.
Based on what? Seriously we all saw Melo here. Embid looks like a cross between Melo and Oden right now

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
The TWolves were the 5th worst team in the league with all those young players.  They were a bottom 5 defense.  Thibs was a good hire but not sure that he's going to get them to be that much better.  I like the Sixers young talent a bit better.  Even if you put KAT at the top which I wouldn't, I think Embiid and Simmons are better than Wiggins.  After Wiggins, I'd put Okafor, Noel and Saric ahead of LaVine, Dunn and Dieng by a fairly significant margin.  The Sixers really just need to move either Okafor or Noel, most probably Noel, to address their log jam and then upgrade their guards.
That is crazy talk
Kat

Simmons, Wiggins tie

LaVine

Dunn, Okafor tie

Noel, Saric tie
Embid
I see you're a comedian.  Just not a very good one.
Please Philly fan get real. Oh wait forgot Smart and LaVine tie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:29:58 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2016, 02:03:23 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Embiid isn't good

Nah, he's great.
Based on what? Seriously we all saw Melo here. Embid looks like a cross between Melo and Oden right now

You do realize Greg Oden was ridiculously good at basketball before he got hurt right?

As far as why is he good? He's a 7'3 behemoth who grabs a ton of rebounds, gets to the FT line a ton and converts there, and is versatile enough on defense to switch onto John Wall and force him into a long two contested by a 7'3 center.

What he has in common with Melo I have no idea, they literally have completely different strengths and weaknesses.

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:12 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
The TWolves were the 5th worst team in the league with all those young players.  They were a bottom 5 defense.  Thibs was a good hire but not sure that he's going to get them to be that much better.  I like the Sixers young talent a bit better.  Even if you put KAT at the top which I wouldn't, I think Embiid and Simmons are better than Wiggins.  After Wiggins, I'd put Okafor, Noel and Saric ahead of LaVine, Dunn and Dieng by a fairly significant margin.  The Sixers really just need to move either Okafor or Noel, most probably Noel, to address their log jam and then upgrade their guards.
That is crazy talk
Kat

Simmons, Wiggins tie

LaVine

Dunn, Okafor tie

Noel, Saric tie
Embid
I see you're a comedian.  Just not a very good one.
Please Philly fan get real. Oh wait forgot Smart and LaVine tie

LOL Marcus Smart isn't an efficient scorer from a single place on the court. Nerlens Noel is significantly better.

You're beyond clueless, it's comical.

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2016, 04:13:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's his preseason highlights: https://youtu.be/Q7HLTPw687c

For a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years and has grown a few inches since then, it's actually pretty remarkable how good he looks this early.  As a fan of the game, I'd like to see him stay healthy because Towns vs Embiid will be must-see TV for the next decade or two.

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2016, 07:52:54 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah, he's going to be special...I wish him continued good health and growth.

In the vid that LarBrd33 posted you can tell his potential even though he still doesn't seem to have his timing fully down - YET.

To ME - he's showing flashes of the same athleticism that a certain former Rocket HOFer had...

It will be VERY interesting to see him continue to develop and get NBA experience...once the game slows down for him he will be quite a load.

Body(s) will need to be kept on him at ALL TIMES.

« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yeah, he's going to be special...I wish him continued good health and growth.

In the vid that LarBrd33 posted you can tell his potential even though he still doesn't seem to have his timing fully down - YET.

To ME - he's showing flashes of the same athleticism that a certain former Rocket HOFer had...

It will be VERY interesting to see him continue to develop and get NBA experience...once the game slows down for him he will be quite a load.

Body(s) will need to be kept on him at ALL TIMES.
Not surprising since he learned the game from watching video of Hakeem and other great big men.  He showed the Dream Shake while he was in college. 

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

For a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years and has grown a few inches since then, it's actually pretty remarkable how good he looks this early.  As a fan of the game, I'd like to see him stay healthy because Towns vs Embiid will be must-see TV for the next decade or two.
I see one assist. He has very little court awareness. He leaves his man way too often to paint patrol and jumps early. He is going to be exploited.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:03:47 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I see one assist. He has very little court awareness. He leaves his man way too often to paint patrol and jumps early. He is going to be exploited.
He's had a few others that ended with his teammate getting fouled or missing the shot like this one:  https://vine.co/v/5XQIjZn1qpV   

Embiid is raw but he has court awareness.  They've mainly focused on getting him acclimated so far.  They haven't done much to build a team offense around him.  He'll definitely have to continue to work on his passing as I expect him to face a lot of double teams. 

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

He's had a few others that ended with his teammate getting fouled or missing the shot like this one:  https://vine.co/v/5XQIjZn1qpV   

Embiid is raw but he has court awareness.  They've mainly focused on getting him acclimated so far.  They haven't done much to build a team offense around him.  He'll definitely have to continue to work on his passing as I expect him to face a lot of double teams.
To me he is very rusty or he doesn't get it cause he doesn't look good in terms of team play. A black hole similar to Whiteside. We will find out soon enough if he stays healthy if it is indeed rust. For now compare him Whiteside instead of Hakeem.

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

To me he is very rusty or he doesn't get it cause he doesn't look good in terms of team play. A black hole similar to Whiteside. We will find out soon enough if he stays healthy if it is indeed rust. For now compare him Whiteside instead of Hakeem.
Of course he's rusty.  He's been out injured for two years and just started 5-on-5 practicing a couple months ago.  In college, Embiid averaged 1.4 assists in 23 minutes.  As I said, the Sixers haven't been focused on their team offense so far not that they've had much of a team offense these past 3 years.  They're really in a holding pattern until Simmons gets back because they him to run their offense. 

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Of course he's rusty.  He's been out injured for two years and just started 5-on-5 practicing a couple months ago.  In college, Embiid averaged 1.4 assists in 23 minutes.  As I said, the Sixers haven't been focused on their team offense so far not that they've had much of a team offense these past 3 years.  They're really in a holding pattern until Simmons gets back because they him to run their offense.
Holding pattern and a bunch of wishful thinking is why I said their rebuild hasn't gone well. They have nothing solid to show for it right now.

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Holding pattern and a bunch of wishful thinking is why I said their rebuild hasn't gone well. They have nothing solid to show for it right now.
this briefly sums it up for me. the sixers have accumulated some good pieces, though they are currently quite mismatched in terms of talents and positions.

one question i have is whether the sixers can they hang on to their young players. what good does it do to acquire a talent such as noel if he simply walks away? and as we have seen, noel and okufar are not fetching top dollar from other teams.

the philly rebuild has been going for a while, but still a long way to go yet.

next, as if often the case on internet boards, rookies are frequently viewed in the best of light. saric, to me, looks good, but not a super star. but then, that may be best for the sixer team for now. they are so disfunctional as TEAM that they need someone who can be a "glue guy". maybe saric will be it.

embiid does look to be very good and should be fun to watch. but that is 100% a guess and a hope and a wing and a prayer by me and everyone else who thinks similarly. we simply dont know if he will be healthy, or greg oden II. none of us know.

will embiid turn out to be kwame brown, or akeem, or olowakandi, or duncan? or somewhere in between those extremes? we have no idea right now and saying we do know is silly.

so, if is fun to watch young potential waiting in the wings, but i am not sure why either seeming side of the "sixer debate" feel as if they have to generate final judgements before embiid or saric have played a single nba game.

much to this thread is premature conjucture by many parties. let's wait, watch the games, and see.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:18:29 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

this briefly sums it up for me. the sixers have accumulated some good pieces, though they are currently quite mismatched in terms of talents and positions.

one question i have is whether the sixers can they hang on to their young players. what good does it do to acquire a talent such as noel if he simply walks away? and as we have seen, noel and okufar are not fetching top dollar from other teams.

the philly rebuild has been going for a while, but still a long way to go yet.

next, as if often the case on internet boards, rookies are frequently viewed in the best of light. saric, to me, looks good, but not a super star. but then, that may be best for the sixer team for now. they are so disfunctional as TEAM that they need someone who can be a "glue guy". maybe saric will be it.

embiid does look to be very good and should be fun to watch. but that is 100% a guess and a hope and a wing and a prayer by me and everyone else who thinks similarly. we simply dont know if he will be healthy, or greg oden II. none of us know.

will embiid turn out to be kwame brown, or akeem, or olowanki, or duncan? or somewhere in between those extremes? we have no idea right now and saying we do know is silly.

so, if is fun to watch young potential waiting in the wings, but i am not sure why either seeming side of the "sixer debate" feel as if they have to generate final judgements before embiid or saric have played a single nba game.

much to this thread is premature conjucture by many parties. let's wait, watch the games, and see.
Hinkie called it "the process" because it was going to take time.  It wasn't a simple remodel.  He tore the building down and re-laid the foundation.  So yes it is going to take time to judge the Sixers rebuild and now it is in Colangelo's hands to take the assets Hinkie acquired and turn them into a competitive team. 

Young players on rookie contracts can't simply walk away.  If they don't trade Noel, they'll be able to decide whether to match the offer he receives.  Even if they lose him for nothing, Simmons, Embiid, Saric and Okafor are a strong, young front court.  With three years left on his contract, there's no rush to trade Okafor.  They'll have one or two top 10 picks in this draft to upgrade their guards/wings.