Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50569 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier
yeah I didn't even start this thread.  But I did start threads about Anthony Davis and Karl towns their rookie years.  It's fun watching young potential stars as rookies.

I really wish we could all stop acting like petulant children.  The 76ers have an amazing foundation. You couple that with the fact that they had incredible good fortune with Simmons getting injured and there is a lot to be envious of. Embiid is real and if you don't appreciate it you are a huie

Come on, this is hyperbole. He's missed the last two years due to serious injuries, and he's played like half a dozen games at 14 minutes per game. It's going to take a little more than that to label him as "real."

What is with everybody exaggerating play this preseason?? Don't you guys realize this kind of stuff happens every year in the preseason on a couple of teams around the league, only for the regular season to start and the players to fall rapidly back down to Earth when the games actually matter? I'm pretty sure LarBrd33 has been one of the primary ones beating that drum for a long time now.

Embiid has been good, but let's hold off judgement on players until they play an actual regular season game.

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Eh, I get the Sixers plan, but it has to have been pretty dreadful recently to be a fan...and I don't think it's over, yet.  I know in the NBA, it's all about championships and it's likely the Sixers will likely one day win another (not necessarily with this current group), but the Delaware 87ers have probably been a more fun team to watch than their parent club.

What I am saying is, they better win a championship in the next 10 or so years or this whole enormous tanking effort will have been a complete waste. Just eventually being competitive won't be enough, as the product they have put on the floor has been so putrid that only a championship will suffice.

Embiid does look great, though - so good for him.

As a Sixers fan...

The process has been fun in my opinion. There was no end in sight to 38 win seasons for the Sixers since Iverson left. Heck, even before Iverson left his last 2 or so years were clearly leading nowhere. The 10-12 game .500 run the team went on in late 2015 when Noel established himself as an unreal defender(who we are about to lose for peanuts sadface) was the most fun I've had since the Iverson years. Even the Playoffs where we beat the Bulls were fools gold and everyone knew it.

The worst case scenario is we get cult rebuild heroes on the fringes, a few top prospects who only turn into ok players, and end up back where we started. But in the moment you get to watch guys with potential to be legit future studs, rather than hoping Billy King hits on the 13th pick of the draft.

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier
yeah I didn't even start this thread.  But I did start threads about Anthony Davis and Karl towns their rookie years.  It's fun watching young potential stars as rookies.

I really wish we could all stop acting like petulant children.  The 76ers have an amazing foundation. You couple that with the fact that they had incredible good fortune with Simmons getting injured and there is a lot to be envious of. Embiid is real and if you don't appreciate it you are a huie

Come on, this is hyperbole. He's missed the last two years due to serious injuries, and he's played like half a dozen games at 14 minutes per game. It's going to take a little more than that to label him as "real."

What is with everybody exaggerating play this preseason?? Don't you guys realize this kind of stuff happens every year in the preseason on a couple of teams around the league, only for the regular season to start and the players to fall rapidly back down to Earth when the games actually matter? I'm pretty sure LarBrd33 has been one of the primary ones beating that drum for a long time now.

Embiid has been good, but let's hold off judgement on players until they play an actual regular season game.

Some of you guys are just in denial about the Sixers. Embiid has already shown us that he has that special talent that great players in this league have. Sure, he hasn't played a regular season game yet, but he will next week. What will people say then?

Its not only Embiid though, Saric looks fantastic as well so far, he is legit. A great pick for them.

Let's not forget Simmons, who may be the best of all of their prospects.

Not to mention the quickly forgotten Noel and Okafor who a lot of people on here wanted us to trade the Jaylen Brown pick for. The Sixers will eventually turn one or both of them into star potential guard help.

Their rebuild is unorthodox, but it looks extremely promising at the moment.

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I think he is joking.

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wouldn't say the 76ers rebuild looks good at all. So many physical set backs for their top prospects and a log jam for the team. Noel and Okafor are as promising as Smart right now. And what is Smart like our 5th best player? On that bad team Smart would be able to jack up shots getting 16pts a night easy as MCW did. 76ers are all future potential absolutely nothing for them is concrete. People talk about them like they are the Wolves. Now Wolves have players that are very young with potential that have actually shown they can play in the league. Hell right now Knicks have a better prospect than any player on the 76ers and it took them one shot. The 76ers rebuild was heavily dependant not just on drafting potential but actually hitting on them which is why Hinkie is gone. So far that's a big zero for the 76ers.

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Eh, I get the Sixers plan, but it has to have been pretty dreadful recently to be a fan...and I don't think it's over, yet.  I know in the NBA, it's all about championships and it's likely the Sixers will likely one day win another (not necessarily with this current group), but the Delaware 87ers have probably been a more fun team to watch than their parent club.

What I am saying is, they better win a championship in the next 10 or so years or this whole enormous tanking effort will have been a complete waste. Just eventually being competitive won't be enough, as the product they have put on the floor has been so putrid that only a championship will suffice.

As a Sixers fan...

The process has been fun in my opinion. There was no end in sight to 38 win seasons for the Sixers since Iverson left. Heck, even before Iverson left his last 2 or so years were clearly leading nowhere. The 10-12 game .500 run the team went on in late 2015 when Noel established himself as an unreal defender(who we are about to lose for peanuts sadface) was the most fun I've had since the Iverson years. Even the Playoffs where we beat the Bulls were fools gold and everyone knew it.

The worst case scenario is we get cult rebuild heroes on the fringes, a few top prospects who only turn into ok players, and end up back where we started. But in the moment you get to watch guys with potential to be legit future studs, rather than hoping Billy King hits on the 13th pick of the draft.

I'm not saying that they're in a bad position. I just wouldn't go crazy calling what they have done a success. They have yet to produce a player that has shown the ability to be a two way NBA player. They have tons of potential. So did the Detroit Lions a couple of years ago. It doesn't mean anything until they start playing with each other. Until then, no one is sure if these guys complement one another, stay healthy (Embiid), shoot (Simmons), score (Noel), or play D (Okafor). Both Noel and Okafor have shown flashes, yet I'm not sold on either. Embiid and Simmons appear to be their best assets. I would love to have either, but hey aren't bonafide studs yet.

I feel the same way about the 76ers prospects as I do about Marcus Smart/Jaylen Brown/Terry Rozier. All have shown flashes, yet none have proven that they are good enough to start on a championship team. Until then, let's hold off on calling them future superstars. There are too many Kwame Browns and Harold Miners to call what the 76ers have done a success.

To the contrary, I would call what the Celtics have done a success. While they don't have the same # of prospects as the 76ers do, they have consistently added wins while acquiring both veteran and young talent. I think JB and Smart can be starters on a championship team. They are very far away from this. Luckily, we have two all stars to remain competitive in the meantime.

There are so many things that can change in 5 years that I think its crazy to plan for the "post Golden State" era. I really hope GM's aren't planning on potential NBA legends in James, KD, and Curry to retire. That's like being a NFL team and planning on Brady/Belichick to retire.

« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2016, 08:44:35 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

As a Sixers fan...

wait...so are you a Sixers fan and a Celtics fan?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wouldn't say the 76ers rebuild looks good at all. So many physical set backs for their top prospects and a log jam for the team. Noel and Okafor are as promising as Smart right now. And what is Smart like our 5th best player? On that bad team Smart would be able to jack up shots getting 16pts a night easy as MCW did. 76ers are all future potential absolutely nothing for them is concrete. People talk about them like they are the Wolves. Now Wolves have players that are very young with potential that have actually shown they can play in the league. Hell right now Knicks have a better prospect than any player on the 76ers and it took them one shot. The 76ers rebuild was heavily dependant not just on drafting potential but actually hitting on them which is why Hinkie is gone. So far that's a big zero for the 76ers.
if smart can get healthy he looks like he has a nice future as a role player.  Maybe more - if he can stay healthy.  I think he still has potential potential. 

But it would take mountains of assets in addition to smart to get a prospect like Embiid or Simmons.  Okafor was first team all rookie last year.  Kid looks like he can be a future star.  Hard to get a read on his trade value, but id assume they'd want a lot more than just Smart.

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
if smart can get healthy he looks like he has a nice future as a role player.  Maybe more - if he can stay healthy.  I think he still has potential potential. 

But it would take mountains of assets in addition to smart to get a prospect like Embiid or Simmons.  Okafor was first team all rookie last year.  Kid looks like he can be a future star.  Hard to get a read on his trade value, but id assume they'd want a lot more than just Smart.

It's no shock that Smart's value isn't fully recognized b/c he hasn't played well offensively. His shooting #'s last year were straight up unacceptable. I expect that he won't jack up as many 3's this year, and prob. will drive more. I think JB's aggressive driving will jump start Marcus to get to the basket more. He's a strong guy that should be a bull getting to the net. He has shown that he can play superior defense. He's not getting traded as his market value is low. I don't see any Philly-Bos trade happening.

btw, Ainge's strategy>Hinkie's strategy.

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The TWolves were the 5th worst team in the league with all those young players.  They were a bottom 5 defense.  Thibs was a good hire but not sure that he's going to get them to be that much better.  I like the Sixers young talent a bit better.  Even if you put KAT at the top which I wouldn't, I think Embiid and Simmons are better than Wiggins.  After Wiggins, I'd put Okafor, Noel and Saric ahead of LaVine, Dunn and Dieng by a fairly significant margin.  The Sixers really just need to move either Okafor or Noel, most probably Noel, to address their log jam and then upgrade their guards.

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

It's no shock that Smart's value isn't fully recognized b/c he hasn't played well offensively. His shooting #'s last year were straight up unacceptable. I expect that he won't jack up as many 3's this year, and prob. will drive more. I think JB's aggressive driving will jump start Marcus to get to the basket more. He's a strong guy that should be a bull getting to the net. He has shown that he can play superior defense. He's not getting traded as his market value is low. I don't see any Philly-Bos trade happening.

Ainge's strategy hasn't gotten us out of the 1st round yet.  Horford is a win now acquisition.  Thomas, Smart and Bradley will all want to be paid in two years.  Lebron looks like a mountain too tall for us to climb so we may never sniff the finals.  Its possible  the current rebuild peters out and we're starting over building around Brown and the Nets picks in a couple years. 

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ainge's strategy hasn't gotten us out of the 1st round yet.  Horford is a win now acquisition.  Thomas, Smart and Bradley will all want to be paid in two years.  Lebron looks like a mountain too tall for us to climb so we may never sniff the finals.  Its possible  the current rebuild peters out and we're starting over building around Brown and the Nets picks in a couple years.
i don't really see the point in comparing them.  Ainge has similar principles.  He tanked multiple times.  He gets the necessity of superstars.   They had very different stating points though. Ainge took over a team a year removed from the Eastern Conference finals with two Allstars in their prime.   By his 4th year, he was tanking to a bottom 3 record.  I love Ainge. Best GM in the world.  But we of all teams can't act like we are above tanking.  Tanking lead to our lone championship of the past 30 years.

Anyways... Embiid will be fun to watch this year.  He's an entertaining personality.  Things are looking up for Philly.  Looks like it might work out for them.

« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2016, 10:59:57 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
The TWolves were the 5th worst team in the league with all those young players.  They were a bottom 5 defense.  Thibs was a good hire but not sure that he's going to get them to be that much better.  I like the Sixers young talent a bit better.  Even if you put KAT at the top which I wouldn't, I think Embiid and Simmons are better than Wiggins.  After Wiggins, I'd put Okafor, Noel and Saric ahead of LaVine, Dunn and Dieng by a fairly significant margin.  The Sixers really just need to move either Okafor or Noel, most probably Noel, to address their log jam and then upgrade their guards.
That is crazy talk
Kat

Simmons, Wiggins tie

LaVine, Smart tie

Dunn, Okafor tie

Noel, Saric tie
Embid
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:39:15 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:01 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Embiid isn't good

« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
That is crazy talk
Kat

Simmons, Wiggins tie

LaVine

Dunn, Okafor tie

Noel, Saric tie
Embid
I see you're a comedian.  Just not a very good one.