Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50439 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier
yeah I didn't even start this thread.  But I did start threads about Anthony Davis and Karl towns their rookie years.  It's fun watching young potential stars as rookies.

If you could humor me, how has the 76ers tank job paid off?

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier

Is that what I'm saying? How about you reread his posts where he clearly says hinkies plan isworking . Maybe you should do a better job of reading before jumping in and making claims. Like I said, I get he's an nba fan, but don't get the part where he brings Hinkie into the conversation. Thanks for chiming in bitter Jim

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

i didn't start this thread.  The 76er threads are almost always started by other folks.   A lot of people here invested a lot of energy in prematurely declaring the 76ers plan a failure. 10% the threads created on this forum are about the 76ers.  People here obviously are interested in the team. It's interesting to see how they are doing.  Looks like a lot of folks here may be choking on crow.  The tanking looks like it paid off.  The Embiid hype was legit. Kid looks like a future superstar barring a new injury.  I imagine a lot of the guys here who declared they wouldn't trade a late 1st for him are feelin pretty silly.  I'm not surprised to see some folks here having anxiety about Embiid's rise.

Good luck in your revenge then I guess. Congrats on being right.

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

yeah I didn't even start this thread.  But I did start threads about Anthony Davis and Karl towns their rookie years.  It's fun watching young potential stars as rookies.

They tanked to get players with star potential.  They now have Embiid and Simmons.  Tank successful.  Next phase build a team around your stars using the rest of their assets to get to the playoffs and then compete for championships.   

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I guess I differ in what makes a tank successful. I would think that they should have a path for winning laid out before calling it a success. I only see Embiid as the potential star. Simmons hasn't done a thing yet. Unless you are calling Jaylen Brown a future star, I'm not sure that you can say the same of Simmons.

I like how the 76ers had so many high picks. I'm just not sure about the guys that they drafted. I see Noel, Okafor, and Saric as potential all stars, but each clearly has holes in their game. I think it takes another 5 years before Philly is a contender. A lot of work is left before the experiment can be deemed successful, in my opinion.

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

They tanked to get players with star potential.  They now have Embiid and Simmons.  Tank successful.  Next phase build a team around your stars using the rest of their assets to get to the playoffs and then compete for championships.
yeah basically.  All three of the guys they tanked for have legit star potential. So far it's looking good for them.

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I guess I differ in what makes a tank successful. I would think that they should have a path for winning laid out before calling it a success. I only see Embiid as the potential star. Simmons hasn't done a thing yet. Unless you are calling Jaylen Brown a future star, I'm not sure that you can say the same of Simmons.

I like how the 76ers had so many high picks. I'm just not sure about the guys that they drafted. I see Noel, Okafor, and Saric as potential all stars, but each clearly has holes in their game. I think it takes another 5 years before Philly is a contender. A lot of work is left before the experiment can be deemed successful, in my opinion.
simmons is being called the best prospect in years.  Kid can be transcendent. 

Obviously they have a long way to go.  They are positioned well for the post-golden state dynasty NBA

I agree with Tankcity when he calls this "sad" though. Perhaps the most sad part is that we weren't successful in our attempts to trade up for Embiid in 2014.  Potentially really sad if he stays healthy.

Smart, Young and a future 1st for Embiid. Who says no?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:14:16 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Eh, I get the Sixers plan, but it has to have been pretty dreadful recently to be a fan...and I don't think it's over, yet.  I know in the NBA, it's all about championships and it's likely the Sixers will likely one day win another (not necessarily with this current group), but the Delaware 87ers have probably been a more fun team to watch than their parent club.

What I am saying is, they better win a championship in the next 10 or so years or this whole enormous tanking effort will have been a complete waste. Just eventually being competitive won't be enough, as the product they have put on the floor has been so putrid that only a championship will suffice.

Embiid does look great, though - so good for him.

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Eh, I get the Sixers plan, but it has to have been pretty dreadful recently to be a fan...and I don't think it's over, yet.  I know in the NBA, it's all about championships and it's likely the Sixers will likely one day win another (not necessarily with this current group), but the Delaware 87ers have probably been a more fun team to watch than their parent club.

What I am saying is, they better win a championship in the next 10 or so years or this whole enormous tanking effort will have been a complete waste. Just eventually being competitive won't be enough, as the product they have put on the floor has been so putrid that only a championship will suffice.

the tanking appears to have worked if you consider the three guys they tanked for all have legit star potential. For the overall plan to be considered successful they just need to have a legit contender at some point in the next decade.   They haven't won a title in over 30 years.  They have had one 50+ win season in 26 years.  3-5 years of tanking is a drop in the bucket compared to the decades of irrelevance they have gone through.  Teams like the wolves and kings haven't made the playoffs in 10+ years.  Philly's lone marketable player in the past couple decades was the supremely overrated Allen Iverson.  All they need to do is get a franchise talent and crank out some 50+ win seasons for this to be considered a wild success for them.  Looks like they might have the future franchise talent on the roster already - so it's looking good so far.

« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Obviously they have a long way to go.  They are positioned well for the post-golden state dynasty NBA

I agree with Tankcity when he calls this "sad" though. Perhaps the most sad part is that we weren't successful in our attempts to trade up for Embiid in 2014.  Potentially really sad if he stays healthy.

I think they'll both be stars but I'm more confident in Embiid doing so, setting aside the injury risk.  Embiid has shown the drive to be great and improve himself.  Simmons has been coasting on his talent.  He wasted a year of development going to LSU.  How he could get this far along without developing even a broken jump shot is beyond me.  The Sixers are apparently using his injury downtime to try to get him to work on his jumper.  Hopefully he puts in the effort.  On the other hand his passing and court vision are divine.  He's a big Rondo right now which is a very good thing.  We'll have to see if he has the drive to be the next Lebron. 

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I really wish we could all stop acting like petulant children.  The 76ers have an amazing foundation. You couple that with the fact that they had incredible good fortune with Simmons getting injured and there is a lot to be envious of. Embiid is real and if you don't appreciate it you are a huie

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Why would the sixers do that? I'd offer Bradley for okafor or embiid. Doubt they'd do it for embiid. I mean it's clear if the sixers start winning, the celtics won't be able to compete with their talent

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

the tanking appears to have worked if you consider the three guys they tanked for all have legit star potential. For the overall plan to be considered successful they just need to have a legit contender at some point in the next decade.   They haven't won a title in over 30 years.  They have had one 50+ win season in 26 years.  3-5 years of tanking is a drop in the bucket compared to the decades of irrelevance they have gone through.  Teams like the wolves and kings haven't made the playoffs in 10+ years.  Philly's lone marketable player in the past couple decades was the supremely overrated Allen Iverson.  All they need to do is get a franchise talent and crank out some 50+ win seasons for this to be considered a wild success for them.  Looks like they might have the future franchise talent on the roster already - so it's looking good so far.

I guess it's looking good on paper so far.  This means nearly nothing as even the 'paper goodness" has at least a few years of development before fruition is achieved.  That said, I'd trade rosters with them tomorrow.   I hope it doesn't pan out only because the perennial blatant tanking is antithetical to what teams should be doing -- it's their right to do so, but I hope it doesn't work. 

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Why would the sixers do that? I'd offer Bradley for okafor or embiid. Doubt they'd do it for embiid. I mean it's clear if the sixers start winning, the celtics won't be able to compete with their talent
If they were willing to trade Embiid for Bradley, I'd be very concerned about Embiid's long term health.  I think they'd trade Noel for Brabley.  For Okafor, we'd probably have to kick in the Memphis 1st.  Bradley would be a very good fit with Simmons and Embiid. 

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Embid starting to show his potential. Also like Saric's aggressiveness. In a couple of years I could see us and the Sixers competing for Eastern Conference top. Just like the late sixties, late seventies and early eighties. Should be fun.