Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50440 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If he gets 25mpg and stays healthy he's prob R.O.Y

If he has the same usage rate in the regular season that he had in the preseason, and is able to play 60+ games with 25 mpg then he's a lock
I'm bitter.

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2016, 08:16:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
18 points and 9 boards in 18 minutes tonight.   Finishes with Per 36 Stats: 27.96 points, 14.68 rebounds, 2.01 blocks, 0.00 assists

You didn't include his turnovers in you Per 36 stats. How come?

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2016, 08:47:54 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
18 points and 9 boards in 18 minutes tonight.   Finishes with Per 36 Stats: 27.96 points, 14.68 rebounds, 2.01 blocks, 0.00 assists

He had 2 turnovers last night which would make 4 in 36 minutes.  Not bad considering his high usage.  He also fouled out because he committed a couple stupid fouls.  He certainly isn't a finished product and has a lot of areas where he can improve.  However he's already a game changer for the Sixers offensively and defensively even though he's been out for more than 2 years.  He's also doing this even with the lousy guard/wing play of the Sixers.  Imagine how much better he will be with a year or two experience and better players around him.  Here are highlights from his matchup with Whiteside. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMUeBEkbOuQ

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
His actual numbers:

MPG 14.7
PPG 11.4
RPG 6.0
APG 0.0
FG% 44.8
FT% 81.8
3PT% 14.3
BPG 0.86
SPG 0.14
TOV 2.57
FPG 2.86

Usage 37.5%
ORTG 93.3
DRTG 101.0
PER 20.5

His PTS and REB were very solid. As was his FT%. His usage rate was extremely high and actually led the NBA during the pre-season. Surprisingly he also wasn't a very good shotblocker. In fact, the much maligned Zeller had more blocks in less playing time. His turnover to assist rate was atrocious. He didn't record a single assist in over 100 minutes of total playing time. He fouled at an extremely high rate. He also had a very poor FG% for his position, but wasn't helped by his tendency to shoot them (1 attempt per game), when he would be much more efficient closer to basket.

A player that has actually been really impressive during the pre-season with his hustle and improved play is the unheralded Willie Reed. For a comparison these are Reed's averages:

MPG 23.0
PPG 10.8
RPG 8.0
APG 0.4
FG% 65.6
FT% 50.0
3PT% N/A
BPG 2.0
SPG 0.8
TOV 1.0
FPG 3.0

So let's just hold off before we overrate what Embiid has actually been doing so far.

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
His actual numbers:

MPG 14.7
PPG 11.4
RPG 6.0
APG 0.0
FG% 44.8
FT% 81.8
3PT% 14.3
BPG 0.86
SPG 0.14
TOV 2.57
FPG 2.86

Usage 37.5%
ORTG 93.3
DRTG 101.0
PER 20.5

His PTS and REB were very solid. As was his FT%. His usage rate was extremely high and actually led the NBA during the pre-season. Surprisingly he also wasn't a very good shotblocker. In fact, the much maligned Zeller had more blocks in less playing time. His turnover to assist rate was atrocious. He didn't record a single assist in over 100 minutes of total playing time. He fouled at an extremely high rate. He also had a very poor FG% for his position, but wasn't helped by his tendency to shoot them (1 attempt per game), when he would be much more efficient closer to basket.

A player that has actually been really impressive during the pre-season with his hustle and improved play is the unheralded Willie Reed. For a comparison these are Reed's averages:

MPG 23.0
PPG 10.8
RPG 8.0
APG 0.4
FG% 65.6
FT% 50.0
3PT% N/A
BPG 2.0
SPG 0.8
TOV 1.0
FPG 3.0

So let's just hold off before we overrate what Embiid has actually been doing so far.
Those numbers are before last night's game.  Where he went up against Whiteside and arguably won the matchup.  Sounds like you haven't actually watched Embiid play at all this preseason.  He's got a high usage rate because he's on limited minutes and they're trying to accelerate his acclimation to the NBA.  Their guard and wing play on the Sixers also sucks so he's their best option.  He's also been mainly going one-on-one.  Yesterday's game was the most they've used him in the pick and roll. 

Willie Reed had a good game backing up Whiteside but he's not in Embiid's league.  Reed is 26 and last year was his first season in the NBA.  Embiid hasn't even played 5 years of organized basketball in his life and he's returning after 2 years of injuries.  If you can't look at the highlights I posted and see his potential, I'd get my glasses checked. 

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

He had 2 turnovers last night which would make 4 in 36 minutes.  Not bad considering his high usage.  He also fouled out because he committed a couple stupid fouls.  He certainly isn't a finished product and has a lot of areas where he can improve.  However he's already a game changer for the Sixers offensively and defensively even though he's been out for more than 2 years.  He's also doing this even with the lousy guard/wing play of the Sixers.  Imagine how much better he will be with a year or two experience and better players around him.  Here are highlights from his matchup with Whiteside. 
Saric was pretty impressive last night too. https://youtu.be/HIF68OojQbw

Philly must be thrilled to have those guys in the fold finally.  NBA.com already has both of them higher on the rookie ladder than Jaylen brown
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:37:39 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Saric was pretty impressive last night too. https://youtu.be/HIF68OojQbw

Philly must be thrilled to have those guys in the fold finally.
Saric did look real good after a couple off games.  They should be especially happy since he's on his rookie contract.  Still can't believe he actually came over after two years like he said he would.  He left a lot of money on the table. 

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Embiid has been amazing.  It's going to be fun to see how he develops his rookie season... assuming he doesn't get hurt and all.   Likely the R.O.Y favorite unless Ben Simmons gets back by early January.  Early results suggest the tanking was worth it.

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
His actual numbers:

MPG 14.7
PPG 11.4
RPG 6.0
APG 0.0
FG% 44.8
FT% 81.8
3PT% 14.3
BPG 0.86
SPG 0.14
TOV 2.57
FPG 2.86

Usage 37.5%
ORTG 93.3
DRTG 101.0
PER 20.5

MPG 23.0
PPG 10.8
RPG 8.0
APG 0.4
FG% 65.6
FT% 50.0
3PT% N/A
BPG 2.0
SPG 0.8
TOV 1.0
FPG 3.0

Yeah, when he actually starts playing full minutes, his usage rate and numbers will naturally come down significantly. When you know that you're only playing 12-14 minutes a game, of course you're going to have more overall energy throughout your playing time, and you're going to try and maximize your touches, hence the ridiculous usage rate. Granted, it also explains his turnover percentage.

I'm betting somewhere around 17 and 8-9 for him on moderate to decent percentages, at least until he starts playing more with Okafor and/or Simmons.

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Is that why you keep posting about embiid? So you can prove a point about whether you were right about Hinkie? It's pretty sad imo. It's like dude, how about you wait for the season to end and then rub it in the people against tanking. And I'm honestly not partial either way because as you can see from my name, I think tanking works. Lastly, I understand you're an nba fan, but you are clearly rooting for the sixers to succeed by gloating about embiid. Which means you are a pretty lame celtics fan because you care more about your self interest than you do about the celtics.

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier
I'm bitter.

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

i didn't start this thread.  The 76er threads are almost always started by other folks.   A lot of people here invested a lot of energy in prematurely declaring the 76ers plan a failure. 10% the threads created on this forum are about the 76ers.  People here obviously are interested in the team. It's interesting to see how they are doing.  Looks like a lot of folks here may be choking on crow.  The tanking looks like it paid off.  The Embiid hype was legit. Kid looks like a future superstar barring a new injury.  I imagine a lot of the guys here who declared they wouldn't trade a late 1st for him are feelin pretty silly.  I'm not surprised to see some folks here having anxiety about Embiid's rise.

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I've called him out time and time again over this.  He raves about other teams, specifically Sixers, and thrash Celtics as if he's looking for a job with the Sixers.  Anytime he's able to fake enthusiasm about any Celtics player it's always a surprise because those are rare.  Why he's even posting on a celtics forum is beyond me.  The sixers fans would make him a mod immediately if his posts are on their board.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

i didn't start this thread.  The 76er threads are almost always started by other folks.   A lot of people here invested a lot of energy in prematurely declaring the 76ers plan a failure. 10% the threads created on this forum are about the 76ers.  People here obviously are interested in the team. It's interesting to see how they are doing.  Looks like a lot of folks here may be choking on crow.  The tanking looks like it paid off. The Embiid hype was legit. Kid looks like a future superstar barring a new injury.  I imagine a lot of the guys here who declared they wouldn't trade a late 1st for him are feelin pretty silly.  I'm not surprised to see some folks here having anxiety about Embiid's rise.

On what basis has it paid off? They haven't had a good season in a long time. They have picked 3 guys at the same position, have Simmons who hasn't proven that he can shoot, have Saric who hasn't proven he can play defense, and thats about it. They are a bottom 5 team in the league. I'm not sure what is so admirable about their situation.

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

What's so wierd about LarBrd liking a young player (who was widely viewed to have superstar potential coming out of school) just because he's on another team? Makes more sense than raving about guys who'll likely never be starters, like Mickey or Rozier
yeah I didn't even start this thread.  But I did start threads about Anthony Davis and Karl towns their rookie years.  It's fun watching young potential stars as rookies.