Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50436 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2016, 06:50:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
    Brett Brown said that back to backs might not be off the table for Joel Embiid in the regular season.
    — Rich Hofmann (@rich_hofmann) October 15, 2016

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
11 points and 12 boards in 14 minutes tonight.   Kid looks great. 

Supposedly the plan is to get him to 20-25 minutes at the start of the season.

Haven't watched any Sixers preseason games other than when we played them. Have they played him with Noel or Okafor at all yet, or are all three of them purely playing the 5? I've only seen snippets, and I've never seen any of those three together.
Okafor and Noel have been out with injuries.  Some think Noel is faking his.

Brett Brown says it could slide over into the regular season:
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1128372?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Now the Philly fans on Reddit are speculating that both Okafor and Noel are healthy and the reason they haven't played is because there are trades in place (pending some kind of trade restriction like a player who signed an extension and can't be moved yet) and they don't want to risk injuring them.   You know how fans are, tho.

what possible trades are the philly fans on reddit speculating about though? what kind of return are they expecting?
I haven't seen the fans mention any players specifically.   It's just some silly little conspiracy theory rumor going around that they are holding the guys out so they don't get injured and ruin some trade on the table.

But I just took a quick glance at some rosters and I'll throw you an idea...

Jordan Clarkson signed an extension making 12.5 mil per year and he can't be traded until December 15th.  There had previously been some rumor of a Clarkson + Randle for Okafor deal.   Even if it was just Clarkson by himself, that can't happen until December.   With D'Angelo Russell looking like a future superstar at PG, I could see them moving Clarkson.

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
His per-36 in preseason is 26 points, 15 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Honest questions, what's a reasonable expectation for his GP this season?
Well either he stays healthy or he doesn't, I guess.   We've seen success with bone grafts for guys like Kevin Durant and Brook Lopez.   I think people assume he will injure something else.  Maybe so.  I'm not sure why he'd be any less fragile than any other player, though.  If his foot isn't a problem than his risk of injury is probably about the same as Jaylen Brown.

I'd be a lot more concerned about his spondylosis. Apparently long-term issues are common for the condition.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000436.htm

With common long-term consequences, a likely genetic basis to the condition, his size, and the stress fracture in his foot (that didn't heal as expected), I'd be surprised if he goes on to have a long career without complications.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:06:34 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Haven't watched any Sixers preseason games other than when we played them. Have they played him with Noel or Okafor at all yet, or are all three of them purely playing the 5? I've only seen snippets, and I've never seen any of those three together.

Now the Philly fans on Reddit are speculating that both Okafor and Noel are healthy and the reason they haven't played is because there are trades in place (pending some kind of trade restriction like a player who signed an extension and can't be moved yet) and they don't want to risk injuring them.   You know how fans are, tho.

I can't imagine that they'd trade both of them without first seeing Embiid make it to something like the trade deadline. He looks good so far, but you have to think another foot injury or something would ultimately end up with them keeping one of Noel or Okafor over Embiid. It just seems like too much of a risk to trade both of them right now, even if they'll eventually have to trade both of them anyways.

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

what possible trades are the philly fans on reddit speculating about though? what kind of return are they expecting?
I haven't seen the fans mention any players specifically.   It's just some silly little conspiracy theory rumor going around that they are holding the guys out so they don't get injured and ruin some trade on the table.

But I just took a quick glance at some rosters and I'll throw you an idea...

Jordan Clarkson signed an extension making 12.5 mil per year and he can't be traded until December 15th.  There had previously been some rumor of a Clarkson + Randle for Okafor deal.   Even if it was just Clarkson by himself, that can't happen until December.   With D'Angelo Russell looking like a future superstar at PG, I could see them moving Clarkson.
There's some belief that Okafor and Embiid might be able to play together, because of Embiid's ability to spread the floor with his distance shooting. 

Noel for Clarkson.  Which team says no? 

Clarkson gives Philly a PG and some necessary shooting around the bigs.

Noel gives the Lakers some defense next to Randle.

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
nice challenge for Embiid tonight going against Drummond

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Embiid still scored well (15 in 20 minutes), but was a turnover machine and was clearly overmatched by Drummond, but that was expected and I thought Embiid actually looked halfway decent in the matchup. 

I'm actually curious to see what Philly does with their roster.  They have a lot of guys in camp and are going to have to cut players that were on the team last year.  Should be interesting.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Embiid still scored well (15 in 20 minutes), but was a turnover machine and was clearly overmatched by Drummond, but that was expected and I thought Embiid actually looked halfway decent in the matchup. 

I'm actually curious to see what Philly does with their roster.  They have a lot of guys in camp and are going to have to cut players that were on the team last year.  Should be interesting.
Didn't get to watch the game but didn't get the impression from the LibertyBlogers game thread that Embiid was clearly overmatched.  Besides the turnovers, the stats were pretty close.  Embiid (5-8 FG, 5-7 FT) is getting little help from his teammates (20-60 FG).  Their guard play is especially bad.  My guess is Stauskas is gone.  He's played horribly so I can't see them picking up his 3.8mil 4th year option.  Hollis Thompson is not much better but he's not on the books next year. 

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Didn't get to watch the game but didn't get the impression from the LibertyBlogers game thread that Embiid was clearly overmatched.  Besides the turnovers, the stats were pretty close.  Embiid (5-8 FG, 5-7 FT) is getting little help from his teammates (20-60 FG).  Their guard play is especially bad.  My guess is Stauskas is gone.  He's played horribly so I can't see them picking up his 3.8mil 4th year option.  Hollis Thompson is not much better but he's not on the books next year.
Embiid was outclassed on the board as well, but again it is Drummond so that should have been expected.

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Embiid was outclassed on the board as well, but again it is Drummond so that should have been expected.
a rookie and he hasnt played basketball in two years, matched against drummond. not surprised embiid had some troubles. but that doesnt change that embiid is going to be one of the best young centers in the nba.....IF IF IF  he stays healthy. which i hope he does.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

a rookie and he hasnt played basketball in two years, matched against drummond. not surprised embiid had some troubles. but that doesnt change that embiid is going to be one of the best young centers in the nba.....IF IF IF  he stays healthy. which i hope he does.
Oh yeah no question.  He actually looks pretty good given he hasn't played in 2.5 years.

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Late 1st from a contender who needs a defensive stopper at C, possibly a wing who has some promise but still can't shoot, maybe a guard from a team with a logjam of them.

Nerlens injury is kinda iffy, self reported and they don't always list it on injury reports.

I think there's enough smoke to believe there is a fire, just not sure what exactly the "fire" in this sense is/will be.

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If he gets 25mpg and stays healthy he's prob R.O.Y

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2016, 04:50:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
18 points and 9 boards in 18 minutes tonight.   Finishes with Per 36 Stats: 27.96 points, 14.68 rebounds, 2.01 blocks, 0.00 assists

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
18 points and 9 boards in 18 minutes tonight.   Finishes with Per 36 Stats: 27.96 points, 14.68 rebounds, 2.01 blocks, 0.00 assists

Yikes! If he stays healthy the C's could be back to their old conference rivalries with Philly and the Knicks within 18 months.