Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50615 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
That nickname is terrible.  It's way too close to "the Princess".  If I was going against him, I'd call him Princess all game.  You know KG would.
If you ever go up against Embiid, I recommend brown shorts.    ;D

I don't think brown shorts would save me. 

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2016, 12:04:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
11 points and 12 boards in 14 minutes tonight.   Kid looks great. 

Supposedly the plan is to get him to 20-25 minutes at the start of the season.

Haven't watched any Sixers preseason games other than when we played them. Have they played him with Noel or Okafor at all yet, or are all three of them purely playing the 5? I've only seen snippets, and I've never seen any of those three together.
Okafor and Noel have been out with injuries.  Some think Noel is faking his.

Really? Any reputable sources or just speculation?
No reputable sources.  Just people speculating he's grumpy that he's on the team.

It sure is interesetting how you pick and choose who is "reputable" and who is not...
Well for one... when I say "some think he's faking it", i'm referring to are random fans on Reddit who are literally speculating.  Is that non-reputable enough for you?  Sure interesting how I pick and choose that, eh dawg?

Also, I assume that was some kind of itty bitty tiny thinkable comment referring to the fact I previously doubted a 16 year old high schooler in Maine had the same credibility as a paid jouranlist when he reported Boston was on the verge of acquiring Blake Griffin.   My bad for not living in a fantasy world where random children on twitter and realgm forums are as reputable as people who make a living speaking to members of the league.

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2016, 12:08:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Haven't watched any Sixers preseason games other than when we played them. Have they played him with Noel or Okafor at all yet, or are all three of them purely playing the 5? I've only seen snippets, and I've never seen any of those three together.

Have you seen the rumor of Smart and Brown and first round pick for Anthony Davis ?
nope

My guess... it's some out of context speculation that was misquoted... or...

It's from one of those click-baity tabloid troll blogs like Yibada or Sportsrageous... or...

It's something you saw a 16 year old high schooler from Maine post on twitter.

Or all of the above.

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
His per-36 in preseason is 26 points, 15 rebounds and 3 blocks.

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Honest questions, what's a reasonable expectation for his GP this season?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
The Sixers may need to move Okafor and Noel if Embiid lives up to his potential.

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I'm guessing about 65. He will take nights off, particularly back-back games, to ensure his long term health.

If he continues along through this season with no set-backs though, as Brook Lopez and Kevin Durant did after their foot injuries, he should be good to go for a long, long time.

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Well either he stays healthy or he doesn't, I guess.   We've seen success with bone grafts for guys like Kevin Durant and Brook Lopez.   I think people assume he will injure something else.  Maybe so.  I'm not sure why he'd be any less fragile than any other player, though.  If his foot isn't a problem than his risk of injury is probably about the same as Jaylen Brown.

One note about his Per-36... his usage must be super high during those 12 mins he's been playing.  His minutes have been limited so they are basically getting him very involved in the minutes he plays.  That's the partial explanation for why he has better stats than Jaylen Brown in 10 less minutes.  It's also the partial reason for why his assists are low... he's basically trying to score in every limited possession he gets.  I've heard commentators say he'll play more team-style once he has consistent minutes in the flow of actual games, but for the time being, the coaches just want him to get some reps trying to score.  He seems to be improving every game, though.   He supposed to creep up to 18 minutes tonight so it'll be interesting to see what he does with the additional time.  Expected to get 20-25 minutes once the season starts.  They still claim he'll be held out of back-to-backs.   It's still not the regular season, though. Let's see if he can stay healthy through the preseason.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:03:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Well either he stays healthy or he doesn't, I guess.   We've seen success with bone grafts for guys like Kevin Durant and Brook Lopez.   I think people assume he will injure something else.  Maybe so.  I'm not sure why he'd be any less fragile than any other player, though.  If his foot isn't a problem than his risk of injury is probably about the same as Jaylen Brown.

One note about his Per-36... his usage must be super high during those 12 mins he's been playing.  His minutes have been limited so they are basically getting him very involved in the minutes he plays.  That's the partial explanation for why he has better stats than Jaylen Brown in 10 less minutes.  It's also the partial reason for why his assists are low... he's basically trying to score in every limited possession he gets.  I've heard commentators say he'll play more team-style once he has consistent minutes in the flow of actual games, but for the time being, the coaches just want him to get some reps trying to score.  He seems to be improving every game, though.   He supposed to creep up to 18 minutes tonight so it'll be interesting to see what he does with the additional time.  Expected to get 20-25 minutes once the season starts.  They still claim he'll be held out of back-to-backs.   It's still not the regular season, though. Let's see if he can stay healthy through the preseason.

It also might have something to with the fact that Embiid plays on a bottom-2 team in the league and Brown plays on a top-4 team in the league, let alone the fact that Noel and Okafor haven't been playing.  ;)

The per-36 numbers are extremely skewed due to the very few minutes he's actually playing, too. Those will dramatically decrease when he's actually playing significant minutes.

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Really? Any reputable sources or just speculation?
No reputable sources.  Just people speculating he's grumpy that he's on the team.

It sure is interesetting how you pick and choose who is "reputable" and who is not...
Well for one... when I say "some think he's faking it", i'm referring to are random fans on Reddit who are literally speculating.  Is that non-reputable enough for you?  Sure interesting how I pick and choose that, eh dawg?

Also, I assume that was some kind of itty bitty tiny thinkable comment referring to the fact I previously doubted a 16 year old high schooler in Maine had the same credibility as a paid jouranlist when he reported Boston was on the verge of acquiring Blake Griffin.   My bad for not living in a fantasy world where random children on twitter and realgm forums are as reputable as people who make a living speaking to members of the league.

let's get the facts straight LB. He was 22 and is a car saleman.

Totally changes the story if you ask me.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2016, 06:17:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Brett Brown says it could slide over into the regular season:
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1128372?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really think the only question about Embiid is health.

You watched him play at Kansas and there was no doubt that the talent was there.  And talent that would transfer extremely well to the NBA level.  Talent alone, he's a stud.  But there is a very good possibility that his body will betray him.  I hate the Sixers but I sure as hell this kid isn't another Oden. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

I was just coming here to post this. Seems really sketchy to me.

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Now the Philly fans on Reddit are speculating that both Okafor and Noel are healthy and the reason they haven't played is because there are trades in place (pending some kind of trade restriction like a player who signed an extension and can't be moved yet) and they don't want to risk injuring them.   You know how fans are, tho. 

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Now the Philly fans on Reddit are speculating that both Okafor and Noel are healthy and the reason they haven't played is because there are trades in place (pending some kind of trade restriction like a player who signed an extension and can't be moved yet) and they don't want to risk injuring them.   You know how fans are, tho.

what possible trades are the philly fans on reddit speculating about though? what kind of return are they expecting?