Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50679 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
He moves and shoots great for someone his size, but I prefer to watch a few more games before declaring him a superstar.  He was 4-10 last night with 4 rebounds for a crappy team.  Not great, not bad, but not a reason to call him a superstar either.

TP, same here. Seems to be a lot of overreactions here when we all know that if this was a C's player many would be downplaying it due to this being a preseason game. Let's actually see the kid play a regular season game, lay alone a full season, first when it matters before hailing him as a superstar and a better piece than someone like KAT, which is crazy talk.

Any chance he puts up 17.5/7 on over 50% shooting (Jahlil Okafor's rookie #s)? I was on board with Danny rolling the dice on Embiid had the other top 5 been gone (I didn't really want Randle or Vonleh). It will be really impressive if he comes out and proves to be an injury-free star. The Sixers need a direction and Embiid surely could provide one.

As for Okafor and Noel, I really hope they can move on to better situations. Noel could fit in just about anywhere, but Okafor needs the grooming/attention of a caring coaching staff - he could still be a very good player in this league.

If Embiid was available at 6, assuming Smart would've been off the board already, I would've taken Embiid, too. It was probably the right choice for them at that time, but I just think he's getting hailed as a surefire prospect a bit too soon.

And, no, I don't see him hitting those numbers, especially the percentages with a more jumpshot-dense game. People forget that Embiid hasn't played ball all that long, which will kill him defensively, and we've seen what double-teaming and trapping him does. I'm not going to throw out numbers, because I honestly don't know. But I seriously doubt he hits Okafor's numbers, who was thought to be the most ready rookie last year before KAT went Super Saiyan on the league. If he reaches his full potential, it's going to take time for him to develop.

The Sixers biggest mistake was taking Okafor that next year and then not trading him or Noel. Anyone with a brain saw that combo not working out from the beginning, which has got them to where they are now. And though Embiid's shot is a bit better than I thought, you still really can't play him with either Noel or Okafor, because it kills overall spacing and pretty much take away the biggest strength of one of the two on the floor.
Embiid will be on a minutes restriction so he probably won't reach Okafor's offensive number but he'll be much, much better defensively.  I don't see where Embiid not starting to play basketball until he was 15 means much.  When he came to Kansas, Coach Self saw Embiid's raw talent and thought he'd be the #1 pick after 2 or 3 years development.  Instead he became the probable #1 pick as a freshman before the injury knocked him down to #3.  He overshadowed his much more hyped teammate.  From what I've seen so far, Embiid looks even better now.  He looks not only stronger but quicker.  He's shooting 3s now and his defense looks even better.  Regarding double teams that happened to Embiid in college too.  At first he was deer in the headlights, then he learned to pass out of it and then he learned to attack quick before the double team could get there.  Like any rookie, Embiid has a lot to learn and areas to improve but the Sixers appear to have made good use of these past 2 years to get Embiid ready. 

The Okafor pick gets unfairly knocked a lot.  Embiid had suffered his reinjury so his future was in doubt.  Russell their preferred choice was taken by the Lakers.  Porzinigis was considered a highly touted project but he would not do an individual workout for the Sixers.  Okafor as you said was deemed the most NBA ready prospect with star potential.  At the time in that situation, Okafor was the safe and best choice. 

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
He can call himself whatever he wants, he looks like the real thing so far. I wish we had drafted him.
You have to admire Hinkie a bit for having the stones to draft the guy, but only time will tell if it was a masterstroke or a complete waste of a #3 overall selection. 

If only time can tell this then why would we expect Hinkie to be able to tell?  Why would hinkie get blamed or credit for this if all it comes down to is if his foot breaks?

Hinkie did his job, now it's up to Joel and luck.

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Slow process

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
He can call himself whatever he wants, he looks like the real thing so far. I wish we had drafted him.
You have to admire Hinkie a bit for having the stones to draft the guy, but only time will tell if it was a masterstroke or a complete waste of a #3 overall selection. 

If only time can tell this then why would we expect Hinkie to be able to tell?  Why would hinkie get blamed or credit for this if all it comes down to is if his foot breaks?

Huh??  Why would Hinkie be blamed?  Oh, maybe because he, you know, drafted him?!   ::)  Medical conditions can be a significant factor in player analyses, and in the case of a broken navicular bone in a potential NBA draft #1 overall pick, you can bet that such a factor will always be carefully considered. 

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Huh??  Why would Hinkie be blamed?  Oh, maybe because he, you know, drafted him?!   ::)  Medical conditions can be a significant factor in player analyses, and in the case of a broken navicular bone in a potential NBA draft #1 overall pick, you can bet that such a factor will always be carefully considered.
Yeah, if you draft a guy with a pre-existing condition and he gets hurt because of that pre-existing condition it is absolutely your fault.  Now if Embiid breaks his arm or slips a disc or something else, that is different, but pretty much anything foot related absolutely should be on Hinkie.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

(1) Pre-existing condition.
(2) Because Tinkle Hinkle purposely put all of his eggs in that one basket. He gambled on being lousy to take someone that high. It's quite one think to whiff on a pick because your team happened to have a bad season. It's quite another to whiff on a pick when you intentionally tank. Intent matters. It's the difference between manslaughter and murder.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yeah, if you draft a guy with a pre-existing condition and he gets hurt because of that pre-existing condition it is absolutely your fault.  Now if Embiid breaks his arm or slips a disc or something else, that is different, but pretty much anything foot related absolutely should be on Hinkie.
Well he already had a disc problem...

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Simmons with no injury history broke his foot by landing on another player's foot.  If after a couple of healthy seasons, the same thing happened to Embiid would Hinkie be to blame?  Embiid was really a no brainer at #3 especially when your plan is to tank for a star.  His potential was much greater than anyone available so that made his injury an acceptable risk.  As it turns out, a number of the players taken in that draft had significant injuries to deal with. 

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There were people who felt the cavs should have taken embiid at #1 in spite of his injury.   Taking him at #3 was an obvious choice to make. Boston tried to trade up to get him.

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm surprised anyone would have a problem with this, he's making fun of the whole Philly situation with it.

This is similar to Scal making fun of himself by giving himself the nickname White Mamba. Or when RJ Hunter said he and James Young should be called the Trash Brothers (as oppossed to the Splash Brothers) last year.

And it just shows how funny Embiid is and the likeable personality he has, dude's gonna be a fixture on the All-Interview team if he can stay healthy.
I had the same reaction. That shows a great sense of humor.

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Embiid was the right pick. There are many reasons to critique Hinkie, but that isn't one.

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Thomas Bryant is my pick as this drafts Joel Embiid.

Jahlil Okafor would be great on the Celtics and I hope we trade for him. Okafor has much more potential on defense...and offense than most people care to see or mention.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I love everything about Embiid. It's a great nickname. I'm glad he has a good sense of humor given how his career has played out thus far with injuries.

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
11 points and 12 boards in 14 minutes tonight.   Kid looks great. 

Supposedly the plan is to get him to 20-25 minutes at the start of the season.

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
11 points and 12 boards in 14 minutes tonight.   Kid looks great. 

Supposedly the plan is to get him to 20-25 minutes at the start of the season.

Haven't watched any Sixers preseason games other than when we played them. Have they played him with Noel or Okafor at all yet, or are all three of them purely playing the 5? I've only seen snippets, and I've never seen any of those three together.