Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50568 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He can call himself whatever he wants, he looks like the real thing so far. I wish we had drafted him.

The Sixers will be fretting about the condition of his foot for every single minute that he plays for them over his entire career.
No more so than Golden State should fret about the condition of Durant's foot for every single minute he plays for them over his entire career.

There's been some success with bone grafts.  Durant is one.  Brook Lopez is another, actually.. he's played two full seasons without a significant injury and the injury didn't prevent him from getting an extension paying him 20 mil per year.   If Embiid gets through this season (which is a considerable "if"), I see no reason to believe the cloud hovering over him will be any darker than the ones hovering over Durant and Lopez. 

Again, I'm saying if he gets through this whole season, I don't think it will be a daily panic mode.  But who knows if he gets through this season.   If he does, though... he's just another guy like Blake Griffin or Nerlens Noel who got a late start to their career. 

Michael Jordan broke his navicular bone as well.  And Big Z was able to have a successful 15 year career after having his bone graft:

From 1998 to 2001, Ilgauskas missed 202 games and underwent three surgeries on his fractured navicular. The final surgery included a bone graft and a reshaping of his calcaneus and first metatarsal to alleviate the stress placed on the area. Only then was the Big Z able to continue what would become a 15-year career.

Perhaps the biggest mistake was getting surgery before being drafted.  Had he waited until after he was drafted, they might have given him the bone graft right away and he possibly would have only missed a single season instead of two.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:54:12 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 03:38:39 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

Can't say I'm full-on jealous of Philly fans given that our team is one of the best in the East and they look like they will continue to struggle in the short-term... but man, I wish we had a prospect like Joel with legit superstar potential.   Yeah I know, I know... Jaylen Brown might have long-shot star potential... sure.  I get that and I believe in Jaylen.  Jaylen very well may end up having a greater career than Embiid.   But man, if Embiid gets healthy and reaches his potential, he has a shot to be one of the best players in the league.
this is awesome! Great photo lb

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 03:41:02 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
He can call himself whatever he wants, he looks like the real thing so far. I wish we had drafted him.

The Sixers will be fretting about the condition of his foot for every single minute that he plays for them over his entire career.
No more so than Golden State should fret about the condition of Durant's foot for every single minute he plays for them over his entire career.

There's been some success with bone grafts.  Durant is one.  Brook Lopez is another, actually.. he's played two full seasons without a significant injury and the injury didn't prevent him from getting an extension paying him 20 mil per year.   If Embiid gets through this season (which is a considerable "if"), I see no reason to believe the cloud hovering over him will be any darker than the ones hovering over Durant and Lopez. 

Again, I'm saying if he gets through this whole season, I don't think it will be a daily panic mode.  But who knows if he gets through this season.   If he does, though... he's just another guy like Blake Griffin or Nerlens Noel who got a late start to their career. 

Michael Jordan broke his navicular bone as well.  And Big Z was able to have a successful 15 year career after having his bone graft:

From 1998 to 2001, Ilgauskas missed 202 games and underwent three surgeries on his fractured navicular. The final surgery included a bone graft and a reshaping of his calcaneus and first metatarsal to alleviate the stress placed on the area. Only then was the Big Z able to continue what would become a 15-year career.

Perhaps the biggest mistake was getting surgery before being drafted.  Had he waited until after he was drafted, they might have given him the bone graft right away and he possibly would have only missed a single season instead of two.
I think people forget about durant and Blake. There is reason to be excited. Tp lb

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He moves and shoots great for someone his size, but I prefer to watch a few more games before declaring him a superstar.  He was 4-10 last night with 4 rebounds for a crappy team.  Not great, not bad, but not a reason to call him a superstar either.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Sixers will be fretting about the condition of his foot for every single minute that he plays for them over his entire career.  Looks like a terrific prospect off a few preseason games, but if he rebreaks that navicular bone, it could well be a career-ending injury.  You have to admire Hinkie a bit for having the stones to draft the guy, but only time will tell if it was a masterstroke or a complete waste of a #3 overall selection.
Ainge said he would have taken Embiid if he'd fallen to 6.  Even with the injuries, even with the limited experience, Embiid's talent was too hard to ignore.  Hinkie had already taken an injured Noel at 6 the previous draft so taking Embiid at 3 was pretty much a no-brainer.  It would wave been really interesting if the Sixers had #1 pick to see if Hinkie would have had the stones to still pick him with Wiggins and Parker available. 

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Can't say I'm full-on jealous of Philly fans given that our team is one of the best in the East and they look like they will continue to struggle in the short-term... but man, I wish we had a prospect like Joel with legit superstar potential.   Yeah I know, I know... Jaylen Brown might have long-shot star potential... sure.  I get that and I believe in Jaylen.  Jaylen very well may end up having a greater career than Embiid.   But man, if Embiid gets healthy and reaches his potential, he has a shot to be one of the best players in the league.
I've been full-on jealous since they drafted Embiid.  I so wanted Ainge to trade up for him but it would had to have been a heck of an offer to get Hinkie to consider it.  I think Embiid is the best talent drafted since Anthony Davis.  Putting aside the health risk, Embiid is who I'd choose to rebuild a team around even over KAT.   So I'm jealous but I'm hoping Embiid will become the next Shaq and have a long career. 

Now the basketball gods were really cruel last year.  They gave my 2nd favorite player from these recent drafts (Ingram) to the Lakers.  That's hard to stomach.  I don't like anything diminishing my hatred of the Lakers. 

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
He is emblemetic of 'THE PROCESS!!!!!'
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
He moves and shoots great for someone his size, but I prefer to watch a few more games before declaring him a superstar.  He was 4-10 last night with 4 rebounds for a crappy team.  Not great, not bad, but not a reason to call him a superstar either.

TP, same here. Seems to be a lot of overreactions here when we all know that if this was a C's player many would be downplaying it due to this being a preseason game. Let's actually see the kid play a regular season game, lay alone a full season, first when it matters before hailing him as a superstar and a better piece than someone like KAT, which is crazy talk.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP, same here. Seems to be a lot of overreactions here when we all know that if this was a C's player many would be downplaying it due to this being a preseason game. Let's actually see the kid play a regular season game, lay alone a full season, first when it matters before hailing him as a superstar and a better piece than someone like KAT, which is crazy talk.

Any chance he puts up 17.5/7 on over 50% shooting (Jahlil Okafor's rookie #s)? I was on board with Danny rolling the dice on Embiid had the other top 5 been gone (I didn't really want Randle or Vonleh). It will be really impressive if he comes out and proves to be an injury-free star. The Sixers need a direction and Embiid surely could provide one.

As for Okafor and Noel, I really hope they can move on to better situations. Noel could fit in just about anywhere, but Okafor needs the grooming/attention of a caring coaching staff - he could still be a very good player in this league.

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

Any chance he puts up 17.5/7 on over 50% shooting (Jahlil Okafor's rookie #s)? I was on board with Danny rolling the dice on Embiid had the other top 5 been gone (I didn't really want Randle or Vonleh). It will be really impressive if he comes out and proves to be an injury-free star. The Sixers need a direction and Embiid surely could provide one.

As for Okafor and Noel, I really hope they can move on to better situations. Noel could fit in just about anywhere, but Okafor needs the grooming/attention of a caring coaching staff - he could still be a very good player in this league.

If Embiid was available at 6, assuming Smart would've been off the board already, I would've taken Embiid, too. It was probably the right choice for them at that time, but I just think he's getting hailed as a surefire prospect a bit too soon.

And, no, I don't see him hitting those numbers, especially the percentages with a more jumpshot-dense game. People forget that Embiid hasn't played ball all that long, which will kill him defensively, and we've seen what double-teaming and trapping him does. I'm not going to throw out numbers, because I honestly don't know. But I seriously doubt he hits Okafor's numbers, who was thought to be the most ready rookie last year before KAT went Super Saiyan on the league. If he reaches his full potential, it's going to take time for him to develop.

The Sixers biggest mistake was taking Okafor that next year and then not trading him or Noel. Anyone with a brain saw that combo not working out from the beginning, which has got them to where they are now. And though Embiid's shot is a bit better than I thought, you still really can't play him with either Noel or Okafor, because it kills overall spacing and pretty much take away the biggest strength of one of the two on the floor.

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'd be sky high if we had Embiid right now.  Like I said, I wanted Ainge to trade up to draft him.  As for KAT, he's great but Okafor dominated him in their 1st matchup and it was basically even in their 2nd matchup.  Embiid is going to be a great defender.  I don't know that the same can be said about KAT but we'll have to see what Thibs gets out of him and the TWolves as a team.  Of course with Embiid health is an overarching concern but I'm hoping Embiid and KAT have many years to fight it out over whose the best big man and quite possibly the MVP. 

As for crazy talk, I've already seen a whole bunch of it on here regarding Brown after just a few preseason games.     

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 11:44:03 AM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Broken process

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm surprised anyone would have a problem with this, he's making fun of the whole Philly situation with it.

This is similar to Scal making fun of himself by giving himself the nickname White Mamba. Or when RJ Hunter said he and James Young should be called the Trash Brothers (as oppossed to the Splash Brothers) last year.

And it just shows how funny Embiid is and the likeable personality he has, dude's gonna be a fixture on the All-Interview team if he can stay healthy.

Pretty much. Sounds like sour grapes around here.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i wish him luck and also agree it would be nice to have him on the celtics.

but philly is faced with having to make a contract decision on this pretty quickly. he has burned through two years of his rookie contract and accomplished zero, aside from making a lot of money. :) 
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
i wish him luck and also agree it would be nice to have him on the celtics.

but philly is faced with having to make a contract decision on this pretty quickly. he has burned through two years of his rookie contract and accomplished zero, aside from making a lot of money. :)
If Embiid stays healthy, the only decision to be made is whether he signs the MAX contract with a blue or black pen. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:07:00 PM by tazzmaniac »