Author Topic: The Missing Piece: The case for acuiring Jusuf Nurkic as our Starting Center  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
"If I were Ainge, I might call the Denver Nuggets about their centers Nikola Jokic and Jusuf Nurkic. If Denver doesn't believe they can play together, either would be an interesting prospect to add to the Celtics' frontcourt. Nurkic for the No. 3 in a down draft is probably reasonable value. Jokic would surely require additional return."
Kevin Pelton - ESPN Insider

Earlier this year Kevin Pelton shocked(insulted) many Celtics fans by suggesting that his idea for the fairest return for one of our coveted, platinum encrusted, Brooklyn Picks was the recently injured, out of shape, second string Center from Denver Jusuf Nurkic.

Pelton had the audacity to propose that our future franchise cornerstone could be had for the simple swap of an obscure big man hailing from Bosnia and I like many scoffed at the notion, relieved to see that we kept the pick and used in on Future Celtics Hall of Famer  high upside draft pick Jaylen Brown. But with the found money aspect of the Al Horford signing... maybe Pelton might have been on to something.

One of the best things about acquiring Horford aside from the obvious talent upgrade to the roster was that we used virtually no assets to attain him. Such an infusion of talent into a roster is rare for a team as close to contention as ours and it allows us to think a bit differently about how to fill the remaining spots. I don't know about you all but I'm past the point where I want to fill the roster out with anyone possessing elite potential and a pulse. I think the next major upgrade needs to be like the Warriors signing Iguodala or San Antonio bucking tradition by moving George Hill for the rights to Kawhi Leonard, a potentially undervalued asset that is on the verge of a breakout compared to his contract and I'm starting to think Nurkic might be that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyE30zLIh-M
Jusuf Nurkić - 18pts, 14rb, 4stl. against the Lakers (10/7/2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF30bOBXw8Q
Blocks and stares down at Lebron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2IXpr5Wzk
https://deanondraft.com/2014/02/19/jusuf-nurkic-the-bosnian-boogie/
Essentialy the Boogie Cousins of the Adriatic League

Nurkic is looking healthy and back to looking like the player that made the All rookie team 2 seasons ago. He's got a massive frame, soft hands and is almost comically light on his feet. You just don't see guys at Nurkic's size that can move like he does and the chip on his Shoulder is just as big as his presence around the basket. He's plays with a relentless fire night in and night out and takes each matchup personally.

The only problem from Denver's perspective is the 800 pound Bosnian Bear in the room that they already have their franchise center locked up in Nikola Jokic. Though Jokic and Nurkic have entirely different approaches to the game, they are both clearly better suited for the 5 spot and should therefor force Josh Kroenke and the Denver FO to choose one over the other, especially considering that they are have expressed interest in filling the PF spot with a versatile defensive player with range.

Combining these 2 assertions leads me to this trade Proposal...

Boston receives - C Jusuf Nurkic
Denver receives - PF Jonas Jerebko, the 2018 Celtics First round pick, The 2019 Protected Memphis Pick.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=j6j8xu9

In the Bad Boys Pistons 30 for 30 Doc, the Piston's GM claimed that the move that really put them over the top was trading for Bill Laimbeer. He wasn't flashy or overly skilled but Laimbeer's refusal to ever back down and his elite production on the defensive end and the boards gave the Pistons a base level of toughness night in and night out. I think Jusuf Nurkic could have a similar effect for our roster.

Though they've made strides Denver is still a year or 2 out and this trade also serves to free up our minor Jerebko/KO controversy. IMO Kelly would flourish next to Nurkic and a Horford/Nurkic frontcourt could stand physically with anyone in the league. I'd try to avoid using the 2018 Brooklyn Pick but if that's what it took to get the deal done I might have to pull the trigger. especially if you could also get them to throw in a shiny new Will Barton to shore up our bench scoring.

What do ya think? Yay or Nay on the Bosnian Beast. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:22:30 PM by Smartacus »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I went into this expecting to have my answerve be a resounding "NO", but the deal you suggested isn't bad at all. That'd be an upgrade for our bigs (although I doubt Nurkic would start, he would make our bench unit of Rozier/Smart/Brown/Kelly/Nurkic truly elite)

I don't know that that would be enough for the Nuggets, though, since even off the bench Nurkik has much more immediate value
I'm bitter.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I went into this expecting to have my answerve be a resounding "NO", but the deal you suggested isn't bad at all. That'd be an upgrade for our bigs (although I doubt Nurkic would start, he would make our bench unit of Rozier/Smart/Brown/Kelly/Nurkic truly elite)

I don't know that that would be enough for the Nuggets, though, since even off the bench Nurkik has much more immediate value
I agree.  I thought there was going to be an absurd overpayment but I'd have a hard time saying no to that offer provided Nurkic was truly healthy.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That trade package looks closer to Gallinari than Nurkic. Don't think as a young team deal Jok or Nurkic right now is smart. They would be better used in a package deal to aquire a franchise player.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
That trade package looks closer to Gallinari than Nurkic. Don't think as a young team deal Jok or Nurkic right now is smart. They would be better used in a package deal to aquire a franchise player.

A franchise player like say... the 2018 Brooklyn pick ;D.

I'm not convinced that we'd still be interested in Galanari after drafting Jaylen Brown. Gallo still has some warts in his game since he relies so much on getting to line to score efficiently. I feel like our offense would be Gallo herky jerking into contact and Isaiah throwing him self into bigger players. Top that with Smart's *cough*exaggerated *cough* charge drawing and your putting a lot of our success into the hands of the refs.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I here you all though about Nurkic not quite being their yet. I am betting on a long shot that he turns into a top 12-15 Center this season. Maybe a similar campaign to the 2015-2016 Steven Adams. I've been high on him since the draft and he's been on my list of players that I'd like us to acquire for a while now.

Hey, if he starts blowing up and by some miracle we do actually trade for him don't forget who was driving the Nurkic hype bandwagon. ;) (But if he falls back into mediocrity than ya of course forget you ever saw this post)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
2018 is too much of an unknown. Gallinari wouldn't be bad if you started him at the 4. Would really create some space. Assuming it's just Zeller and Jj as well as Grizz OR C's 2018 1st I'd do it.

IT, AB,  Crowder, Gallinari, Hordford
Rozier, Smart, Green, AJ, KO
DJ, Hunter, Young, Brown, Mickey

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
2018 is too much of an unknown. Gallinari wouldn't be bad if you started him at the 4. Would really create some space. Assuming it's just Zeller and Jj as well as Grizz OR C's 2018 1st I'd do it.

Gallo allegedly rejected being traded to us or the Clippers last year. He might have a similar hesitance this year, personally don't think he wants to leave Denver until the ink is dry on his next contract. It'd would cost him millions if he was traded mid season and underperformed in the new location. Think Evan Turner to Indiana.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gallo allegedly rejected being traded to us or the Clippers last year. He might have a similar hesitance this year, personally don't think he wants to leave Denver until the ink is dry on his next contract. It'd would cost him millions if he was traded mid season and underperformed in the new location. Think Evan Turner to Indiana.
Didn't know he had a no trade clause.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's hard to say no to that deal but what are the odds that's all Denver would want?  We'd probably have to at least throw in KO and Rozier and then it becomes a different discussion.

Mike

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would give up a lot to get Nurkic here. He would help now and develop fantastically here for the future.

The proposal you make isn't bad at but I would offer them the 2018 Brook pick instead to really get it done. I'm huge on Nurkic.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
to be clear... Pelton didnt' suggest "one of the Brooklyn picks" was fair value.  He specifically felt the #3 pick was equal value for Nurkic.

Nurkic has looked good his first couple preseason games. 

15 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals in 23 minutes.   

18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block and 4 steals in 27 minutes.

It would take a lot to get him.  Your offer is too little.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Denver is not trading nor Nurkić or Jokić. They plan the main role for them in future. Farried is the one who will be/already is on the trade block.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Denver is not trading nor Nurkić or Jokić. They plan the main role for them in future. Farried is the one who will be/already is on a trade block.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think Nurcic is massively over rated on this forum (I'm not sure why everyone loves him, he's a good prospect, but the #3 pick? Sweet Jesus).

I was pretty impressed by his ability to drop 35 pounds over the offseason. That is true discipline for a big man.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.