Author Topic: The Official Ante Zizic Cibona-ABA 2016/17 Season Highlight Thread  (Read 31140 times)

Re: The Official Ante Zizic Cibona-ABA 2016/17 Season Highlight Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Would love to see this kid come over and throw his body around.

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
So who would be Zizic's comp in the NBA?
Bill Laimbeer?

If they talk about his mother before the game and pee in his corn flakes that morning .....yeah he might get as nasty on an average Laimbeer day.  Bill was a mean and dirty as they come and did not care who knew.

Cowens was equal to the task of a Laimbeer type.

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
We probably ought to keep in mind that Tyler Zeller would probably dominate the Adriatic in similar fashion, based on the video linked in this thread.

So yeah, definitely looks promising.  Will be fun to see what Ante can do in Summer League next year.

Try to remember that Zizic is only 19.

Watching the highlights, he seems plenty quick and explosive to me.  I'm not getting the concerns there.

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/10/14/13282840/ante-zizic-adriatic-league-boston-celtics

Nice little write up.

I like this cat...could really give us a needed dimension in a year or two.

Wow Zizic is exceeding expectations.  I was expecting to get a solid rebounder/defender.  But he is just overwhelming defenses with his athleticism and scoring.  Could be something special.  The next Pau Gasol if he continues to improve at this rate?

There aren't a lot of great 5's in the NBA right now.  Would it surprise anyone if Zizic came in and became a top 10 center?  That would also allow us to move Horford to the 4.

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/10/14/13282840/ante-zizic-adriatic-league-boston-celtics

Nice little write up.

Wow Zizic is exceeding expectations.  I was expecting to get a solid rebounder/defender.  But he is just overwhelming defenses with his athleticism and scoring.  Could be something special.  The next Pau Gasol if he continues to improve at this rate?

There aren't a lot of great 5's in the NBA right now.  Would it surprise anyone if Zizic came in and became a top 10 center?  That would also allow us to move Horford to the 4.

"Zizic visibly is stronger, quicker, and longer than every opposing defender with the misfortune of detouring him from the paint."

This is from the article -- and while it's an accurate assessment of his ability, in terms of quickness and explosiveness he looks average to below average for his position in NBA terms. I think he has his work cut out for him in proving he's good enough to start for an NBA team. Centers with Kendrick-Perkins-like level of athleticism rarely become scoring machines in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Nice little write up.

"Zizic visibly is stronger, quicker, and longer than every opposing defender with the misfortune of detouring him from the paint."

This is from the article -- and while it's an accurate assessment of his ability, in terms of quickness and explosiveness he looks average to below average for his position in NBA terms. I think he has his work cut out for him in proving he's good enough to start for an NBA team. Centers with Kendrick-Perkins-like level of athleticism rarely become scoring machines in the NBA.
I think you are overrating his athleticism.  But could he be top 10 someday?  Who knows but not out of the realm of possibility.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think you are overrating his athleticism.  But could he be top 10 someday?  Who knows but not out of the realm of possibility.
He's a 20-year-old with zero minutes of meaningful NBA experience. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility, including bombing spectacularly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 03:21:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Centers with Kendrick-Perkins-like level of athleticism rarely become scoring machines in the NBA.

I don't think the issue for Perk, pre-injury, was a lack of athleticism.  It was more a lack of agility / coordination / hands / finishing touch.  Basically, Perk was not a polished player on the offensive end at all, though he was starting to show some things in the season leading up to his knee injury.  It's sad we never got to see what he might have become.

Anyway, Ante appears much more coordinated and fluid to me than Perk ever was.  Even if his explosion / vertical is comparable, I think he'll be a much more capable offensive player from day one.

Even so, it's likely he won't be a "scoring machine," as you say.  But then guys like the Plumlees and Steven Adams aren't scoring machines either.  Gortat is a quality scorer, but Ante could still be very valuable without reaching Gortat's level as a pick and roll scoring threat.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think agility, hands and coordination are components of athletic ability.   Not raw power or lift or speed, but it still takes ability.   

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yup, to me, offensively, Zizic looks like he has more to offer than Perkins.  I'm glad he's getting another year to develop in the Adriatic as his team's go-to guy.  That's going to give him a lot more confidence and useful experience than say the Red Claws.

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yup, to me, offensively, Zizic looks like he has more to offer than Perkins.  I'm glad he's getting another year to develop in the Adriatic as his team's go-to guy.  That's going to give him a lot more confidence and useful experience than say the Red Claws.
yes, zizic already offers a lot more scoring ability than perk did at a later age. i like what i see with zizic, but until he makes his way onto an nba court we wont know exactly what we are getting.

if pho is in the ball park and zizic becomes gortat II, well, color me tickled.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Anyway, Ante appears much more coordinated and fluid to me than Perk ever was.  Even if his explosion / vertical is comparable, I think he'll be a much more capable offensive player from day one.
If you make a highlight reel of Perk's career, it will probably consist entirely of uncontested dunks. In fact, I think it may have been made already.

From what I could see so far, Zizic has a nice spin move going, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see how it will work against bigger, meaner, and better players.

Either way, my first reaction to these highlights was, "Wow, he added a ton of muscle, and lost a ton of agility". I don't think that's a good tradeoff, but perhaps I am misremembering how he was before.

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsPufe2r0R4

What I see in this clip -- probably the high point of Perk's career, offensively -- is a guy who is considerably slower than Ante. 

Perk did get a good number of uncontested dunks.  What I recall -- and I see this in the above clip a good amount, too -- is that Perk would use his strength and size to pointedly clear out space inside, then he would catch, do a single dribble, and then go up with both hands to either dunk or lay it in off the backboard.  Perk was not really much of a set-a-pick-and-rocket-to-the-rim kind of guy.  He couldn't really take advantage of an open lane to the basket unless there was truly nobody within fifteen feet. 

There wasn't really any finesse, grace, or explosion to his game.  All plodding strength and basic mechanics inside.

Compare that to Miles Plumlee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oIvqoHHHWw

Seems like a closer comp to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
i just watched some of his Draft Express video, and he's definitely put on some weight.  I couldn't really see a loss in quickness though.

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If you make a highlight reel of Perk's career, it will probably consist entirely of uncontested dunks. In fact, I think it may have been made already.

From what I could see so far, Zizic has a nice spin move going, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see how it will work against bigger, meaner, and better players.

Either way, my first reaction to these highlights was, "Wow, he added a ton of muscle, and lost a ton of agility". I don't think that's a good tradeoff, but perhaps I am misremembering how he was before.

he still seems fairly agile. but it's important to note that Zizic is also scoring most of his points on pretty open dunks, whether that's in transition or off a pick and roll. Some spin moves, sure, but they're mostly fairly open shots. I wanna see some post hooks and stuff like that. And that takes time to develop.

Im very content with Zizic thus far. I think he can contribute immediately next year.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about