Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Playoffs  (Read 18788 times)

2016 Red Sox Playoffs
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This thread obviously won't be relevant for very long.

So much for how dangerous the Sox were gonna be in the post-season!

Turns out you need to have starting pitchers that can give you a quality start in the playoffs.  The Sox have exactly none.

Porcello and Price are way too prone to getting rocked by homers.  They are mentally weak.  Buccholz can't be relied upon for anything.  Who else do the Sox have to actually start a game?

All the hitting is really fun.  The Sox lineup is stacked.  But it'd be nice if they had even one starting pitcher who actually scares the opponent.  Too bad, it's looking like Ortiz's last playoff run will be a short one.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: 2016 Red Sox Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Correct on all counts. I'll add a couple things:

1) The offense was less potent in the second half of the season, and has been mostly terrible the last couple of weeks, especially Ortiz, Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley—four of their most important hitters.

2) E-Rod might be able to pull off a good start, but yeah, having Porcello and Price turn into pumpkins is the death knell.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, this is some awesome stuff.

Last night was totally inexcusable. The offense blew some golden opportunities and the three homers in the third inning was ridiculous.

I don't totally blame Price for this game, so far. The first two hits of the 2nd were junk (dribbler and blooper) and before you knew it, the worst home run ever was hit and made the game 4-0. Even as I write this, Bogaerts just had one go off his glove. I am not really a Price apologist, but our killer offense came out ready to do absolutely nothing.

It isn't over 'til it's over, but gonna be hard to come back from 2-0 in a best of five. Bummer since they ended the season so well.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Correct on all counts. I'll add a couple things:

1) The offense was less potent in the second half of the season, and has been mostly terrible the last couple of weeks, especially Ortiz, Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley—four of their most important hitters.

2) E-Rod might be able to pull off a good start, but yeah, having Porcello and Price turn into pumpkins is the death knell.

First half of the season Steven Wright sure would be nice right about now. But I guess I would have said that same thing about full season Porcello and 2nd half of the season Price. Oh well, the future does look bright; we just need a Papi replacement...hmmm...

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yea they look like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. again right now, this series could be over quickly. Price is the biggest big game choker I've seen.  :'(

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
WOW now they just pulled Price after 3 1/3!  :blank:

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I really like Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley -- I'm excited for the future of the Sox with those guys in place.

Still, when I think of teams that do well in the post-season it seems like they tend to have a lot of veteran hitters who can grind out at-bats and make plays at key moments.

The Sox have Pedroia, Ortiz, Ramirez, and Leon, but I wonder if perhaps relying on so many youngs guys throughout the lineup is a problem for consistent run production when the games get tight and the pressure goes up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
it would be funny if a sweep let to ortiz saying he didn't want to retire

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yea they look like **** again right now, this series could be over quickly. Price is the biggest big game choker I've seen.  :'(
Between Porcello being hammered yesterday and the offense being three-hit through 8 innings today, there's enough blame to go around for everyone.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Pathetic post-season showing for the Sox.  They failed to give Ortiz the kind of send-off he deserved.  No World Series, fine, but win a game at home, huh?

Not sure what there is to do with the franchise anymore.  They can put together the talent but aside from a spirited, bearded run in 2013, there's not much I trust them to do right year to year.  GMs and managers come and go, young talent in, pitching talent in, and out, and it seems to be pretty much the same.

Great career, Big Papi.  One of the best ever.  We won't see his like again.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It was a great year, they just went cold at the wrong time. It happens.

In hindsight, the Big Papi celebration tour probably was a distraction at the end of the year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

In hindsight, the Big Papi celebration tour probably was a distraction at the end of the year.

Yup

At least they showed a little life at the end of this one.

Yup

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:19 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Sad stuff watching Ortiz go out like that. So important to the history of the Red Sox.  Completely rewrote history in Boston.

Unbelievable hitter. To see what he meant to the Red Sox players was unbelievable.

Betts Boegarts Benintendi Bradley Jr. Pedroia Ramirez perhaps Encarnacion Price Porcello Rodriguez Wright etc the team should be loaded next year. Wouldnt be surprised to see Farrell fired. It should also be interesting to see if Moncada can steal 3rd base or if sandoval can mount a comeback.

Bright future for this team.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 12:32:29 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Sad stuff watching Ortiz go out like that. So important to the history of the Red Sox.  Completely rewrote history in Boston.

Unbelievable hitter. To see what he meant to the Red Sox players was unbelievable.

Betts Boegarts Benintendi Bradley Jr. Pedroia Ramirez perhaps Encarnacion Price Porcello Rodriguez Wright etc the team should be loaded next year. Wouldnt be surprised to see Farrell fired. It should also be interesting to see if Moncada can steal 3rd base or if sandoval can mount a comeback.

Bright future for this team.

We need a clutch starting pitcher. Our starters gave up 12 ER in 11.2 IP. Not going to win any series with those numbers.

I found it peculiar that Farrell would put the season in Buchholz's hands tonight. I'd rather go down swinging with Rodriguez than choke my way out of the playoffs with Buch. That's not to say Buch was horrible - but there's a reason he got the quick hook. Way too much of a pattern of gagging.

IMO the team had a better vibe with Lovullo as interim manager, and that was with lesser talent. I won't be surprised if the Sox cut ties with Farrell, they kept Lovullo around for a reason, and it wasn't just because of Farrell's health.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 12:34:53 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

I agree about the Papi thing. At no point was it more apparent than in the 8th inning when Papi was at second, do you pinch-run for the guy in potentially his last game? The announcers said something about it, and you know it had to be running through players' minds to some extent.

Not the best time for that sort of second-guessing.

Amazing career, bummer of a finish.