Author Topic: "Patriots Day"  (Read 8422 times)

Re: "Patriots Day"
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Completely agree.

I honestly don't like this trend of movies coming out about events that happened so recently.

Don't like it one bit.

A movie about the Obama's first date doesn't do it for ya then?

I am afraid that one went right over my head.

There's a movie out now about Michelle and Barrack's first date. Hit decent reviews actually.  Anyhow, it strikes me as too soon too.  Not so much in an insulting way, but more in a who gives a crap kinda way.

Ok...I gotcha.

I have to say, I hadn't heard about that one, but really can't see the cinematic draw on a picture like that.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It's a cash grab based on a traumatic event. I hope it doesn't make any money at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Fwiw, it's the same director and star of "Deepwater Horizon" about the offshore oil rig that blew up in 2010.  That wasn't so bad. 

Interesting how quickly we are making movies about events.  Both Snowden and Sully were fine but it's weird to see movies about them so soon.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Fwiw, it's the same director and star of "Deepwater Horizon" about the offshore oil rig that blew up in 2010.  That wasn't so bad. 

Interesting how quickly we are making movies about events.  Both Snowden and Sully were fine but it's weird to see movies about them so soon.
I think there are a profound lack of ideas in the movie industry today, which is why you are seeing them use events so soon after they happened.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think there are a profound lack of ideas in the movie industry today, which is why you are seeing them use events so soon after they happened.
Unique/interesting stories are now going towards television.  The movies that make money are either based on an existing IP that they believe will be profitable... or some piece of history they think will sell.

Back in the day, these "current event" movies just ended up as Liftetime Television movies or something.  I blame the "Social Network" Facebook movie for this. 

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I still haven't watched any of the 9/11 movies. It's not entertainment, it's reliving trauma.

So, you didn't watch Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck, Midway, Iwo Jima, The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, etc., etc., etc.? 

Take it for what it's worth, after all, it's wikipedia, but here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_actual_events

There are a ton of movies based on real life drama/trauma.  It's an instant form of a script.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I still haven't watched any of the 9/11 movies. It's not entertainment, it's reliving trauma.

So, you didn't watch Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck, Midway, Iwo Jima, The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, etc., etc., etc.? 

Take it for what it's worth, after all, it's wikipedia, but here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_actual_events

There are a ton of movies based on real life drama/trauma.  It's an instant form of a script.

I want you to check out the time that elapsed between the events depicted and when those films were released.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think it makes sense if the event itself was shrouded in mystery, or is really complicated, or just poorly reported at the time.

If the movie can help the audience make sense of what happened, or provide a different perspective on it, that's one thing.

You can look at The Big Short, or Spotlight, for examples of that kind of thing.  Snowden could be an example, too; I haven't seen it.

But when it's simply a tragic event / terrorist attack, what do we need to learn about this event?  Perhaps there could be some interest in getting a look at how the investigation and apprehension of the suspect unfolded.  But even then, I think it must be weighed against the cost of turning into a movie a violent, traumatic event that is probably still echoing and reverberating in the lives of the people who were closest to it. 

I don't think movies based on real events can be much good without some historical and cultural distance from the actual events.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I just wanted to point out that this is in no way a new trend. It's always been like this.

There were lots of World War II movies that came out while the war was still going on. The Pride of the Yankees came out in 1942, just one year after Lou Gehrig died (3 years after his retirement).  The Tony Curtis Boston Strangler movie came out in 1968, when the murders had taken place between 1962-64. Brian's Song came out in 1971 just a year after Brian Piccolo died. Serpico came out in 1973, just 3 years after the New York Times piece that, initially, made him famous as a whistleblower (2 years after he was shot while on duty, depicted in the movie). Dog Day Afternoon came out in 1975, about a bank robbery that took place in 1972. All The Presidents Men came out in 1976, 4 years after Watergate, 2 years after Nixon's resignation. Ghosts of Mississippi came out in 1996 about a trial that took place in 1994. The Insider came out in 1999 and is about Jeffrey Wigand's appearance on CBS in 1996.

There's more out there, too. Whether you think it's distasteful or not, it's nothing new.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I just wanted to point out that this is in no way a new trend. It's always been like this.

There were lots of World War II movies that came out while the war was still going on. The Pride of the Yankees came out in 1942, just one year after Lou Gehrig died (3 years after his retirement).  The Tony Curtis Boston Strangler movie came out in 1968, when the murders had taken place between 1962-64. Brian's Song came out in 1971 just a year after Brian Piccolo died. Serpico came out in 1973, just 3 years after the New York Times piece that, initially, made him famous as a whistleblower (2 years after he was shot while on duty, depicted in the movie). Dog Day Afternoon came out in 1975, about a bank robbery that took place in 1972. All The Presidents Men came out in 1976, 4 years after Watergate, 2 years after Nixon's resignation. Ghosts of Mississippi came out in 1996 about a trial that took place in 1994. The Insider came out in 1999 and is about Jeffrey Wigand's appearance on CBS in 1996.

There's more out there, too. Whether you think it's distasteful or not, it's nothing new.

I think there are few good examples on this list (WW2 movies would be an example of this and perhaps the Boston Strangler movie). However, the majority of these other movies are events that are not the same kind of trauma that was associated with the Boston Marathon bombing. For example did people have PTSD or were many people left maimed or dead from WaterGate? Wigand speaking on against the tobacco industry was a public knowledge film to show the terrible strategies employed by the tobacco industry. I believe 1 person died in relationship the robbery from Dog Day afternoon and it was the criminal himself? Yes the ghosts of Mississippi was from a trial from a few years earlier, but wasn't the trial from a murder 30 some years earlier? Brians song was certainly a sad story, but it ultimately was the story of one death and done in an uplifting manner that honored his life. Im not sure how serpico really relates at all.

I think the overall point is that, if a large group of people have lived through a traumatic event just a few years earlier it does seem insensitive to make an action movie about it with Mark Wahlburg to people. Most of these other examples are about different kinds of events.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think there are few good examples on this list (WW2 movies would be an example of this and perhaps the Boston Strangler movie). However, the majority of these other movies are events that are not the same kind of trauma that was associated with the Boston Marathon bombing. For example did people have PTSD or were many people left maimed or dead from WaterGate? Wigand speaking on against the tobacco industry was a public knowledge film to show the terrible strategies employed by the tobacco industry. I believe 1 person died in relationship the robbery from Dog Day afternoon and it was the criminal himself? Yes the ghosts of Mississippi was from a trial from a few years earlier, but wasn't the trial from a murder 30 some years earlier? Brians song was certainly a sad story, but it ultimately was the story of one death and done in an uplifting manner that honored his life. Im not sure how serpico really relates at all.

I think the overall point is that, if a large group of people have lived through a traumatic event just a few years earlier it does seem insensitive to make an action movie about it with Mark Wahlburg to people. Most of these other examples are about different kinds of events.
That's a good point. I just meant to give examples of Hollywood using news as movie fodder, that this thing isn't really new.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008