Author Topic: "Patriots Day"  (Read 8375 times)

"Patriots Day"
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/10/05/patriots-day-trailer-released-mark-wahlberg-boston-marathon-film

I think this is way too soon.

In general, I don't like the idea of turning a tragic event that touched the lives of thousands of people into a movie.  I especially don't like it when it's been less than five years.  I wasn't at the finish line or anywhere near where the bombs went off, but I can remember that day, and the days that followed, quite clearly.  It's not a positive memory, to say the least. 

Maybe this might seem silly, but I am actually kind of disgusted by the thought of this event being turned into a movie, especially such a bald-faced "awards vehicle" for Mark Wahlberg.

We don't need to visualize this event as a story about a Wahlberg character in order to process it.  This was a real thing that happened to real people.  Let's let that sit a while before we imagine it on the big screen, huh?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: "Patriots Day"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/10/05/patriots-day-trailer-released-mark-wahlberg-boston-marathon-film

I think this is way too soon.

In general, I don't like the idea of turning a tragic event that touched the lives of thousands of people into a movie.  I especially don't like it when it's been less than five years.  I wasn't at the finish line or anywhere near where the bombs went off, but I can remember that day, and the days that followed, quite clearly.  It's not a positive memory, to say the least. 

Maybe this might seem silly, but I am actually kind of disgusted by the thought of this event being turned into a movie, especially such a bald-faced "awards vehicle" for Mark Wahlberg.

We don't need to visualize this event as a story about a Wahlberg character in order to process it.  This was a real thing that happened to real people.  Let's let that sit a while before we imagine it on the big screen, huh?

I agree with you completely. This was not something that needed to be done. I thought it was kind of weird when they made the flight 93 movie also.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Completely agree.

I honestly don't like this trend of movies coming out about events that happened so recently.

Don't like it one bit.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maybe we'll get another Wahlberg gem next year depicting the horrific Orlando Pulse tragedy.

I agree with you, Pho - probably shouldn't be anything (not like it was triumphant or anything), but definitely too soon.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Completely agree.

I honestly don't like this trend of movies coming out about events that happened so recently.

Don't like it one bit.

A movie about the Obama's first date doesn't do it for ya then?
Yup

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Completely agree.

Don't like it one bit.

I agree, it was way too soon, to most Bostonians, that thing is still recent memory, and I lived near Copley for 20 years! so to me, that literally happened around my neighborhood. Definitely not something I want to see.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I'm not a fan of Wahlberg as an actor.  I have no interest in seeing a dramatized depiction of this event. Kudos if victims are receiving any $$ made.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Completely agree.

Don't like it one bit.

I am afraid that one went right over my head.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still haven't watched any of the 9/11 movies. It's not entertainment, it's reliving trauma.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Completely agree.

Don't like it one bit.

There's a movie out now about Michelle and Barrack's first date. Hit decent reviews actually.  Anyhow, it strikes me as too soon too.  Not so much in an insulting way, but more in a who gives a crap kinda way.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm not a fan of Wahlberg as an actor.  I have no interest in seeing a dramatized depiction of this event. Kudos if victims are receiving any $$ made.

I like this idea.  Taking advantage of tragedy for profit is pretty disgusting. C'mon Hollywood, DO THE RIGHT THING!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Completely agree.

Don't like it one bit.

There's a movie out now about Michelle and Barrack's first date. Hit decent reviews actually.  Anyhow, it strikes me as too soon too.  Not so much in an insulting way, but more in a who gives a crap kinda way.
I'm struggling to understand the interest in seeing a movie about their first date much less invest money into the making of said movie.  Unless they skipped right to the usual 'third date activities' on the first date, I can't imagine anything of particular interest going on.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I watched the trailer.

No way in hell am I watching this.  The emotion of that day is still way too raw and this movie just seems like some thinly veiled attempt to capitalize on that tragedy for self serving Academy Award purposes. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'll be first in line to buy a ticket.

Mark loves his city. He's going to make Boston look like the wonderful place it is...and millions people around the world are going to get a better understanding of what happened that day, and a better understanding of just how great Boston and the people there are.

Really don't see what the fuss is about.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Completely agree.

Don't like it one bit.

I'm struggling to understand the interest in seeing a movie about their first date much less invest money into the making of said movie.  Unless they skipped right to the usual 'third date activities' on the first date, I can't imagine anything of particular interest going on.

yeh, weird huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erpUF2ToUls

sorry, back to Patriots Day.  I was just adding the Obama's movie because when I saw the trailer I felt a combined feeling of too soon and too thin.

I don't know what the statute of limitations should be on the Hollywoodification of a raw wound type of story from the real world, but the Marathon bombing definitely feels "too soon".  Might not be as much so for the rest of the country, but around here, yes indeed.

I still feel weird a pre-911 movie shot in New York where you see the Twin Towers and that's been 15 years.  Most recently found myself watching Jamie Foxx in "Bait" where there was a shot of the Towers.
Yup