Author Topic: Luke Cage / Iron Fist / The Defenders  (Read 11960 times)

Luke Cage / Iron Fist / The Defenders
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This show is the best "small screen" superhero show going. Daredevil was excellent, and Kingpin is the best villain, but the world created in Luke Cage is immersive and compelling.

I wasn't a huge fan of Jessica Jones, but Netflix has nailed Daredevil, Punisher and Cage.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:36:37 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Luke Cage
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah they absolutely nailed the aesthetic.  Strong Wu-Tang Clan vibes that will only get stronger once Iron Fist is in the mix. 

And the musical performances are phenomenal so far (I'm midway through Ep 6).  Some shaky acting by secondary characters is the only thing that brings it down at times, but Cage and especially Cottonmouth are fantastic.  Really enjoying it.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've only watched the first season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.  I actually liked Jessica Jones more than Daredevil and Luke Cage was solid in Jessica Jones.  At some point I will hit up Daredevil season 2 and Luke Cage, but now that regular tv is back that is a bit more difficult.  Just too much to watch.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I still prefer Daredevil, but really enjoyed Luke Cage.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:04:52 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Jessica Jones was better but I'm enjoying it.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Netflix is enjoying some nice success with these Marvel partnerships. But I wonder if Marvel retains all rights, as well for distribution, also if they have more series in the pipeline? (I personally would be ecstatic for a Deadpool series, if done right) I'm just really itching towards buying some Netflix stock... Tv is only keeping itself alive with sports.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah they absolutely nailed the aesthetic.  Strong Wu-Tang Clan vibes that will only get stronger once Iron Fist is in the mix. 

And the musical performances are phenomenal so far (I'm midway through Ep 6).  Some shaky acting by secondary characters is the only thing that brings it down at times, but Cage and especially Cottonmouth are fantastic.  Really enjoying it.

I'm so excited for Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and whatever the team-up series will be. JJ season 2 as well, obv. Such a cool interwoven series of stories.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Jessica Jones was better but I'm enjoying it.

Jessica Jones was good too but it needed to be about 3 episodes shorter.  It just spun its wheels midway through with "We've got Kilgrave this time! Do we kill him? Nah, let's just make some bad decisions instead.  Oh snap, he got away. Again. Sure hope he doesn't go do something terrible to a secondary character like last time!"  Started really strong but it seemed like they had to stretch the plot out and it just felt like misery **** for most of the late middle.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Iron Fist debuts March 17.  Interested to see how Finn Jones aka Loras Tyrell from GOT handles the role.

Looks like the Defenders will debut in 2017 (that is the DD, JJ, Cage, Fist team up show).  Likely the fall release date.  That one is only 8 episodes. 

The Punisher is currently filming so it may come out next year or the Iron Fist slot in 2018.  Of course Jessica Jones season 2 is also in pre-production and will need a release date and at some point Daredevil's season 3 will need to come out.  It looks like they may need to go from 2 to 3 show releases a year to keep up with all the new shows.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thought Luke cage was excellent. It was as good as Daredeveil but with a strong urban presence. The setting and the culture, Harlem, was a star of the show as was the music involved. Method Man in episode 11(?) was tremendous. Also, love the tongue in cheek swipes the series took at the comic book series at times("Diamondback is a real snake", "God I look ridiculous"(to Luke having his wrist bands and headgear on once he became Power Man)).

Loved the series and its tie in to other series and the Marvel movies. I love how the series really delves into the characters and humanizes the heroes. The movies, with much less time, spends so much time putting the characters into the requisite action scenes that sell the movies but the series put a ton of time into the development of the characters and makes the city and people of New York shine even through all its dirty, rundown underside.

Have to watch Punisher and am really looking forward to JJ2, which I hope is better than JJ1. JJ1 just dragged in my opinion and didn't tell enough about Jones' history.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I only watched the first four episodes, but thus far I liked Jessica Jones and Daredevil more than Luke cage so far.

My issue with Luke Cage is that I wasn't a huge fan of the fight scenes. I just don't find it that interesting to see Luke Cage fight guys who are not capable of harming him.

I am assuming that I will like Luke Cage more, the more I watch it, but thus far I prefer the fight scenes in Daredevil, and the psychological thriller stuff in Jessica Jones.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I liked season 1 of daredevil.   I watched the first episode for Jessica jones and couldn't get into it.  I watched a bit of daredevil season 2... Enough to get a sense of their take on the punisher, but then I lost interest.  I can't say I'm all that interested to watch luke Cage.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Great Music, and 100% on shaky acting by secondary characters.
The detective in Like Cage
Didn't like Fogy in daredevil

also some cool b-ball references including the Celtics

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 12:43:14 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I gotta say, it has a taste of blaxploitation to it. But intentionally

Luke cage was created during that era , and it seems to me they're giving a little tip of the cap to the original
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 06:14:55 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Biggie pic in Cottonmouth's office is the best! Music is on point...Loving the series!!  On episode 9. 
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"