Author Topic: RUMOR: Celtics, Sixers and Clippers in a three-way deal  (Read 11480 times)

Re: RUMOR: Celtics, Sixers and Clippers in a three-way deal
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I posted this earlier in the thread and got no response, so I thought I might try again to see what people think of the trade as modified below.  I think it is fairly reasonable for all 3 teams.

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
LA - Noel, Johnson, Jerekbo, Bos 2018 1st (lotto protected)
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

Pierce doesn't have to be included for the money to still work, but I'd love for his last year to be here where he could provide some solid guidance and leadership to Brown (and lesser to Crowder).  Plus LA's roster construction makes more sense with another player being traded.

So Boston post-trade

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green
SF - Crowder, Brown, Pierce
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

DLeague - Mickey, Hunter, Bentil/Young

Not sure that team beats the Cavs, but it sure seems like the clear #2 team in the East and would certainly pose some issues for Cleveland given the defensive firepower.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wow. Four pages on a "rumor" from a bogus source who is citing a boguser source (nba-trade-rumors.com, really?!). I thought preseason started already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Obviously insane, but I'm giving the OP a TP because I'm going through some massive trade rumor withdrawal and needed the hit.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I heard one earlier that had us giving up just Smart for Jordan, and I didn't even really like that.

We have a great Center in Al Horford.  I wouldn't want to see him limited to a stretch 4 who has to stand behind the arc all the time to space the floor with Jordan in there. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I posted this earlier in the thread and got no response, so I thought I might try again to see what people think of the trade as modified below.  I think it is fairly reasonable for all 3 teams.

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

Pierce doesn't have to be included for the money to still work, but I'd love for his last year to be here where he could provide some solid guidance and leadership to Brown (and lesser to Crowder).  Plus LA's roster construction makes more sense with another player being traded.

So Boston post-trade

SG - Bradley, Green
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

Not sure that team beats the Cavs, but it sure seems like the clear #2 team in the East and would certainly pose some issues for Cleveland given the defensive firepower.

I'd rather not pay full price for a guy that probably won't get better. We are already doing that with Horford, and might end up doing the same with IT (though I hope not). I think we should keep the patient and flexible approach going before going all in on two big men that are not superstars but are paid at the top of the market.

According to Hoops Hype, Jordan makes more money than the following: Marc Gasol, Lamarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, Paul George, Kyrie Irving, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, etc. Besides Gasol and Irving, I'd rather have all of those players.

Horford is getting paid the same amount as Kevin Durant (on an annual basis), who is better and younger. There are a bunch of guys hitting FA over the next couple of years that I would prefer to DeAndre. If we can sign one of them, we're ahead of the game b/c we don't have to trade any valuable assets. Now that Horford has signed, we don't have the excuse that no one wants to sign in Boston.

Hold the line, be patient, and within 4 years we will contend for a title. With DeAndre Jordan, are we a much better team than the Clippers have been over the past couple of seasons? I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:47:28 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

So Boston post-trade

SG - Bradley, Green
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

I'd rather not pay full price for a guy that probably won't get better. We are already doing that with Horford, and might end up doing the same with IT (though I hope not). I think we should keep the patient and flexible approach going before going all in on two big men that are not superstars but are paid at the top of the market.

According to Hoops Hype, Jordan makes more money than the following: Marc Gasol, Lamarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, Paul George, Kyrie Irving, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, etc. Besides Gasol and Irving, I'd rather have all of those players.

Horford is getting paid the same amount as Kevin Durant (on an annual basis), who is better and younger. There are a bunch of guys hitting FA over the next couple of years that I would prefer to DeAndre. If we can sign one of them, we're ahead of the game b/c we don't have to trade any valuable assets. Now that Horford has signed, we don't have the excuse that no one wants to sign in Boston.

Hold the line, be patient, and within 4 years we will contend for a title. With DeAndre Jordan, are we a much better team than the Clippers have been over the past couple of seasons? I'm not so sure.
How will we be contending for a title in 4 years?  Horford will be 34 and we'll be paying him 30mil.  We'll have had to pay Thomas and Bradley a lot more or they'll have moved on.  I don't see any of our younger players developing into stars.  Ainge needs to make a trade to make us a contender but I don't think Jordan is the answer. 

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I see no problem with us contending for a championship if we can continue to develop young players such as Smart, Brown, Rozier, Yabu, Zizic, continue to trade for valuable players such as IT and Jae Crowder, sign role players such as Amir Johnson, Evan Turner, draft at the top of the lottery twice more, and sign one more premier free agent.

If Jaylen Brown becomes Andre Iguodola and just one of the Brooklyn picks turns into an all star, we're competing with Cleveland. If we sign another top notch FA, we might be able to beat Lebron's Cavs. Just an opinion....

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Wow. Four pages on a "rumor" from a bogus source who is citing a boguser source (nba-trade-rumors.com, really?!). I thought preseason started already.
not for another few hours.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

So Boston post-trade

SG - Bradley, Green
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

How will we be contending for a title in 4 years?  Horford will be 34 and we'll be paying him 30mil.  We'll have had to pay Thomas and Bradley a lot more or they'll have moved on.  I don't see any of our younger players developing into stars.  Ainge needs to make a trade to make us a contender but I don't think Jordan is the answer.
Jordan may not be the answer, but he does solve two glaring holes on the team i.e. rebounding and shot blocking.  He also allows Horford to play his more natural PF position a lot of the time, and the trade really only costs us Smart and some role players (or role player type assets such as a lottery protected 2018 1st).  Obviously signing Jordan takes Boston out of free agency this summer, but I'm not sure Boston would get a player better than Jordan anyway, and he certainly fits the timeline a lot better with Horford and Thomas than someone like Noel does.  And for a guy that has been around as long as Jordan, he is still just 28 (so would presumably be in his prime his entire contract). 

I frankly have no idea why LA would do that trade (though it is reasonable in a vacuum it doesn't make a lot of sense as it hurts the Chris Paul timeline).  I'm also not sure Smart makes sense in Philly, though I think that is a reasonably fair trade for them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

So Boston post-trade

SG - Bradley, Green
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

It is a reasonable trade.  However I wouldn't do it because it wouldn't make us a threat to the Cavs and I don't see what follow-on move would do so.   I'd wait for Cousins to become available.  Add Cousins to that lineup instead of Jordan and we'd be a serious threat to the Cavs. 

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Boston - Jordan, Pierce
PHI - Smart, LA 2017 2nd 

So Boston post-trade

SG - Bradley, Green
PF - Horford, Olynyk
C - Jordan, Zeller

It is a reasonable trade.  However I wouldn't do it because it wouldn't make us a threat to the Cavs and I don't see what follow-on move would do so.   I'd wait for Cousins to become available.  Add Cousins to that lineup instead of Jordan and we'd be a serious threat to the Cavs.

It's a great trade for the Celtics. You get an All Star at Center, & give up two strong defensive guards.

I have Rozier taking Smarts spot, and that isn't a bad deal at all. Rozier is legit.

Brown/Green take Crowders minutes.

Any possible way you can get a top 3 center in the league, you do it. Bigs like this don't grow on trees.

Why don't you see a follow up move ? You have plenty of money, picks, & talented youth still. It's wide open.

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't like giving up Smart or rozier.  I'd rather keep Smart and trade them next years #1.  I feel like Smart is  better than we can do.  Rozier is questionable.  I like both players.  Why trade either?  I think there is too much weight put on that pick next year.  Also not huge on  Deandre Jordan.  I'd rather Noel in ways. That's debateable though.

Trading Marcus is a mistake.

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That is one of the most unbalanced deals I have ever seen

Yep, Id rather just take Noel...a small downgrade over Jordan and could one day be just as good.

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
To believe this deal you would have to believe DeAndre J is some sort of massive upgrade over Amir. I definitely do not.

To me the only thing this accomplishes is making room for our 2nd rounders this year and the stashes next

If you do not believe that DeAndre Jordan is a massive upgrade over Amir, that's your right. You can also believe that Larry Bird and Jonas Jerebko are equivalent. That's your right. But there's a reason that Jordan was on the Olympic team and Amir wasn't even an afterthought about making it.
the difference between Bird and Jerebko is far greater than DJ and Amir.  DJ's a better player but not worth Crowder, Smart and a first rounder better.

TP slam for slamming that silly , disingenuous straw man  proposition.

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2016, 08:20:54 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't like giving up Smart or rozier.  I'd rather keep Smart and trade them next years #1.  I feel like Smart is  better than we can do.  Rozier is questionable.  I like both players.  Why trade either?  I think there is too much weight put on that pick next year.  Also not huge on  Deandre Jordan.  I'd rather Noel in ways. That's debateable though.

Trading Marcus is a mistake.

Jordan vs Noel is debatable ? That's a short debate. Jordan is far superior, & it isn't close IMO