Author Topic: RUMOR: Celtics, Sixers and Clippers in a three-way deal  (Read 11483 times)

RUMOR: Celtics, Sixers and Clippers in a three-way deal
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:00:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
To Boston:
Deandre Jordan

To Clippers:
Nerlens Noel
Amir Johnson
Jae Crowder
Bos 1st

To Philly:
Marcus Smart
Clips 2nd

Source:
http://www.inquisitr.com/3552268/nba-trade-rumors-jordan-celtics-smart-sixers-noel-clippers/

This is a massive overpay for a center that doesn't fit perfectly on Brad Steven's system. There is no way Danny should pull the trigger or Celtic fans will hunt his head. I don't mind Deandre but not at that price. He's not a good FT shooter, let alone a floor spacer nor he is a leader like Smart or Crowder on the court. And we will lose other major pieces that we have who made this team successful.

Re: RUMOR: Celtics, Sixers and Clippers in a three-way deal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dream on. ...right ....clean out the Celtics for Jordon.....bawww ha ha .....smok n crack

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:16:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'll believe it when I see it

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That is one of the most unbalanced deals I have ever seen

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No, no, no, NOOOOOO!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't think the Clippers front office has the skill to land a playoff team for DeAndre Jordan and I don't think the Sixers have the skill to pick up Smart and a 2 for Noel.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 07:42:57 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We'd be better off doing Smart and a Boston 1st for Noel. And so would the sixers....

Now if it was for Griffin, maybe you start thinking about that kind of deal.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
can't be bothered typing "ha" about 4 million times..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
To Boston:
Deandre Jordan

For
Amir Johnson
Jae Crowder
Bos 1st
Marcus Smart

Seems like its about even, actually, so long as thats the BOS 1st and not the BRK 1st.
Still don't think I'd do that. I'm a huge fan of both Crowder and Smart and I don't see how Deandre fits next to Horford.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not saying the rumor is credible. 99% of these are not. But personally I don't think it's all that unbalanced.

In terms of value the deal seems about right. It would take that to get a guy like Jordan, who just played in the Olympics and is the best defensive center in the league. He would be a massive asset to the Celtics, providing the interior defense and most especially rebounding this team needs. His contract has another two years to run as well. I'm assuming the BOS pick isn't this coming years' pick because of the swap with Brooklyn. So perhaps the 2018 BOS pick.

As for the other two teams, the 76ers clear out their front court mess and LAC gets an overall stronger team. So I'm looking at it as a deal that may help all teams.

Now to do this Ainge & Co would have to be fairly confident in two things:

(1) Rozier is prepared to take that next step. If he truly is, he could perform many of the same tasks that Smart does on the court. I'm a huuuuuuge fan of Smart's defensive abilities and I think he's ready to take the leap offensively. But if Ainge believes that he already has Marcus Smart 2.0 in Rozier then you have to get rid of one of those guys eventually.

(2) That Brown is ready for solid minutes. This deal would leave the Cs incredibly thin at SF with only Brown and an injured Gerald Green in that role. So they would have to have seen something out of Brown to make Crowder expendable.

Of course, you could also ask why they should include the Clippers. After all, Noel put up stats last year at age 21 that Jordan didn't put up until he was 24. But if Ainge thinks he can open the championship window in this deal with IT, Jordan, Horford and Bradley all in their primes while getting substantial contributions from Brown, Olynyk and Rozier then I could see this deal as something that could happen. Not that it will - it's just another internet rumor - but at least it's plausible.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm not saying the rumor is credible. 99% of these are not. But personally I don't think it's all that unbalanced.

In terms of value the deal seems about right. It would take that to get a guy like Jordan, who just played in the Olympics and is the best defensive center in the league. He would be a massive asset to the Celtics, providing the interior defense and most especially rebounding this team needs. His contract has another two years to run as well. I'm assuming the BOS pick isn't this coming years' pick because of the swap with Brooklyn. So perhaps the 2018 BOS pick.

As for the other two teams, the 76ers clear out their front court mess and LAC gets an overall stronger team. So I'm looking at it as a deal that may help all teams.

Now to do this Ainge & Co would have to be fairly confident in two things:

(1) Rozier is prepared to take that next step. If he truly is, he could perform many of the same tasks that Smart does on the court. I'm a huuuuuuge fan of Smart's defensive abilities and I think he's ready to take the leap offensively. But if Ainge believes that he already has Marcus Smart 2.0 in Rozier then you have to get rid of one of those guys eventually.

(2) That Brown is ready for solid minutes. This deal would leave the Cs incredibly thin at SF with only Brown and an injured Gerald Green in that role. So they would have to have seen something out of Brown to make Crowder expendable.

Of course, you could also ask why they should include the Clippers. After all, Noel put up stats last year at age 21 that Jordan didn't put up until he was 24. But if Ainge thinks he can open the championship window in this deal with IT, Jordan, Horford and Bradley all in their primes while getting substantial contributions from Brown, Olynyk and Rozier then I could see this deal as something that could happen. Not that it will - it's just another internet rumor - but at least it's plausible.

The only way for us to have a window there is if Danny traded for a real superstar (probably at SF, given that that would be our weakest position after the deal).  This deal could make sense AFTER a deal for a superstar (except Crowder or Amir would likely be involved in that trade), but you don't make a deal like this in the hopes of getting a real superstar to compete.  I just don't see how this deal has legs

It might be fair (although I'm not so sure), but it wouldn't make any sense right now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
To believe this deal you would have to believe DeAndre J is some sort of massive upgrade over Amir. I definitely do not.

To me the only thing this accomplishes is making room for our 2nd rounders this year and the stashes next

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
To believe this deal you would have to believe DeAndre J is some sort of massive upgrade over Amir. I definitely do not.

To me the only thing this accomplishes is making room for our 2nd rounders this year and the stashes next

If you do not believe that DeAndre Jordan is a massive upgrade over Amir, that's your right. You can also believe that Larry Bird and Jonas Jerebko are equivalent. That's your right. But there's a reason that Jordan was on the Olympic team and Amir wasn't even an afterthought about making it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Horrified when I first read this, but after some thought, I love it!  It's a gamble, yes, but we're not winning it all anyway this year.  Probably not for the foreseeable future, so why not take a shot! 
You're getting something we have NONE of---a great rebounder!  You're getting something we have almost none of---SHOTBLOCKING!  As much as I like MS, he's not exactly critical to our team with our crowded backcourt, and as mentioned TRoz is IMO ready to take those minutes.  Amir, while playing well for us last year, is still rather frail, and not really crucial to our plans---heck, we weren't even convinced he'd be resigned this year.
Now losing Jae is a concern, and IMO this is where the whole deal hinges.  You've gotta be convinced that JBrown can handle SF.  And is this DA's master plan to finally get Abdel Nader on the team, to team with JB and handle SF!  I think it's a wickedly ingenious plan, with more upside than down!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

If you do not believe that DeAndre Jordan is a massive upgrade over Amir, that's your right. You can also believe that Larry Bird and Jonas Jerebko are equivalent. That's your right. But there's a reason that Jordan was on the Olympic team and Amir wasn't even an afterthought about making it.
True, but the upside is he costs like half as much and his contract expires this year. Also he's not the single worst free throw shooter in the history of time. I'm pretty sure there are people without hands that shoot free throws better than DAJ